Movies: Alanis Morissette won't support HBO doc of her life.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainme...DdMmjMo-M9hcd_da9JE4cAMLSyAoqqC42leL3v3_uPHNo

'This was not the story I agreed to tell,' the singer says in a statement

Just hours before the HBO documentary Jagged was to premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on Tuesday, Alanis Morissette criticized the film about her life as "reductive" and "salacious."
Morissette participated in the film, directed by Alison Klayman, sitting for lengthy interviews. But in a statement issued by her publicist, the Canadian musician said she would not be supporting the film, named after her breakthrough 1995 album, Jagged Little Pill.
"I agreed to participate in a piece about the celebration of Jagged Little Pill's 25th anniversary, and was interviewed during a very vulnerable time (while in the midst of my third postpartum depression during lockdown)," wrote Morissette. "I was lulled into a false sense of security and their salacious agenda became apparent immediately upon my seeing the first cut of the film. This is when I knew our visions were in fact painfully diverged. This was not the story I agreed to tell."

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Is it because she opened up about rape during an interview? Unless they knew and pressed for that information; i don't really see how she was misled. She does have a history of struggling with depression so no idea if she is a reliable narrator.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Is it because she opened up about rape during an interview? Unless they knew and pressed for that information; i don't really see how she was misled. She does have a history of struggling with depression so no idea if she is a reliable narrator.

Based on her comments, she opened up about it unexpectedly and would have preferred to keep it to herself.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Based on her comments, she opened up about it unexpectedly and would have preferred to keep it to herself.

There’s certainly some contractual things at play that would allow them to use that material. But it takes a pretty scummy person to not honor the person’s request to not include something related to that, regardless of contract.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
In part, she said she was fighting post-partum depression and I guess she feels they took advantage of her in a way to talk about it and other stuff she had no planned on being in the doc.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
In part, she said she was fighting post-partum depression and I guess she feels they took advantage of her in a way to talk about it and other stuff she had no planned on being in the doc.
She has been in postpartum depression for years at this point. Maybe she should have consulted or at least taken the time to think about doing deep dive interviews when she has been vulnerable for such a long time.

"Horrifying" images: Alanis Morissette opens up about her postpartum depression - CBS News

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad