AkBars 2016/2017 season thread (The Green War Edition)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
2ligbhc.jpg

Official roster as of now:

Goaltenders:

No.
20. Stanislav Galimov
77. Emil' Garipov

Defencemen

No.
7. Stepan Zaharchuk
8. Ziyat Paigin
16. Roman Abrosimov
19. Michal Jordan
21. Stefan Elliott
24. Vasiliy Tokranov
31. Mihail Sidorov
32. Rafael' Batyrshin
33. Al'bert Yarullin
52. Atte Ohtamaa
64. Damir Musin

Forwards

9. Andrej Popov
10. Anton Glinkin
12. Mihail Gluhov
15. Aleksandr Svitov
18. Mihail Varnakov
28. Denis Golubev
34. Dmitriy Obuhov
35. Denis Khlystov
45. Maxim Lazarev
49. Vyacheslav Solodukhin
51. Justin Azevedo
55. Vladimir Tkachev
67. Yevgeniy Grigorenko
76. Andrey Chibisov
89. Artem Lukoyanov
91. Dmitriy Arhipov
92. Jiri Sekac
98. Fyodor Malykhin

Arena:http://www.tatneftarena.ru/

Official site: https://www.ak-bars.ru/

Official YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/hcakbars

Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/ak_bars_ru

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
For a guy who doesn't Kazan at all, I think their D corps look unrecognizable from past rosters.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
For a guy who doesn't Kazan at all, I think their D corps look unrecognizable from past rosters.

Ehm, most of them are no new faces actually, especially if you count last season in.

Daloga is a most impressive skater with great offensive upside. If not for injuries last season his name would be all over the press.

Zakharchuk and Tokranov are actually long time veterans on the roster by now.

Yarullin, Paigin and Musin were both on last year game 1 roster. All homebread D-men finally coming of age.

Batyrshin is the only noteable new face as a offseson signing. Good stay at home veteran from MMG.

Sidorov and Abrosimov are both last season inclusions who should be more comfortable this time.

The people gone should have been let go a long time ago. Good to see the management finally pulling the trigger.

I see no trouble with the D at all. I'm more concerned about forwards. One or two top 6 guys are missing. The admit the tried to sign a 1C and failed so far.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The depth ain't bad, but there's a noticeable lack of star power on this year's team, a rarity for the Leopards.

Didn't they say they were still searching for another import forward? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The depth ain't bad, but there's a noticeable lack of star power on this year's team, a rarity for the Leopards.

Didn't they say they were still searching for another import forward? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Question is what so you mean by star forwards? There is no Datsyuk available. After that Varnakov, Tkachev, Azevedo are pretty much starpower in the KHL. If Malykhin can finally get into his own he might enter this group too.

I guess people get fooled by last season's performance. Varnakov was injured all the time, so it was basically a season to forget for him, but I expect nothing but 20g at least this season. Tkachev is still maturing and is getting better as you watch him. Azeverdo has had a decent, but not a great season by his standards, partly because the idea of a foreign line never worked with the weakest link on the line being the centerman in Sjogren.

So yes, they have to find somebody to play with Azevedo(and Sekac).

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
We have two additions to anounce.

Maxim Lazarev returns from Canada.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=168687

Once one from the promising 1996 group. Now probabaly just an asset to deal. Will be given a tryout at the upcoming tournament in Latvia. After that easily a loan to some team interested. With the forward depth in place it will be hard for him to earn a spot right away.

Atte Ohtamaa joins the D.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8307

Stay at home guy, 28. Obviously here to solidify the young D.

Makes the fight for spots on the D even tougher.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Atte Ohtamaa joins the D.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8307

Stay at home guy, 28. Obviously here to solidify the young D.

Makes the fight for spots on the D even tougher.
He had good first season in KHL and second was not that good anymore. Change of scenery might do well for him. He is quite experienced player with National Team experience and there is also some offense in his game but is clearly just a stay at home D.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Daloga is a most impressive skater with great offensive upside. If not for injuries last season his name would be all over the press.

Aaaand he's gone for a new Finnish D player. #unrecognizeable

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Atas2000, judging by this thread and some of your previous posts, I'll assume that you are an Ak Bars fan from Kazan, which makes you the ideal candidate for me to ask this question: do you think the team will look better in this season? How would you rate transfers or any kind of changes overall? Well, for a team like Ak Bars, 2015/16 was almost as bad as it could so we'll probably see a more decent side but I'm not sure how much. What I'm more interested in is what people in Kazan think of and expect from this team. One preview I read put them as a Gagarin Cup contender, which is a good sign, but I'd love to hear things from locals as well.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Letting Daloga go is team philosophy. I don't like it and think they should have given him time. Especially while he is no homegrown Paigin who'd come back without objections.

P.S. The haters always appear on bad news, right? They are nowhere to be seen if it comes to praise you for success.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well contrary to my racism overall I really like the direction Ak Bars is moving, that people like Yarullin, Garipov, Paigin, Tkachyov get a chance to make this team their own. It's just that along the way there are some good decisions, some bad ones and some absolutely dubious. Like this one.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Why does signing Ohtamaa mean Daloga is cut?

Keeping both, that's still only 4 foreigners.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Atas2000, judging by this thread and some of your previous posts, I'll assume that you are an Ak Bars fan from Kazan, which makes you the ideal candidate for me to ask this question: do you think the team will look better in this season? How would you rate transfers or any kind of changes overall? Well, for a team like Ak Bars, 2015/16 was almost as bad as it could so we'll probably see a more decent side but I'm not sure how much. What I'm more interested in is what people in Kazan think of and expect from this team. One preview I read put them as a Gagarin Cup contender, which is a good sign, but I'd love to hear things from locals as well.

I will write this before I get on my way to the arena to make it a proper off-season post.

First things first. I wasn't able to watch any pre-season games. It's a fairly perfect summer in Kazan :) But I don't like to make predictions form pre-season. The real thing is totally diffrent. All players will get different roles the moment the puck drops tonight.

As for last season performance this was basicaly what I expected the season before and the team grinded out it's way to the finals back then, so I think they overachieved a bit. The rebuild has started with the departure of Morozov, Nikulin and Zaripov obviously. Last season was a good indication of where we are by now.

There is an obvious philosophy with the management.

1.No more fancy expensive free agent aquisitions.

2.Growth from within through homebread players with some smart(or not so smart) additions

After last season there might be another change in philosophy. Foreigners pretty much became clear cut mercenaries in the playoffs. If not for the Tkachev line there would be no 7 game series against Salavat. So there is nothing surprising to the fact that Möller and Sjögren and Rynnas are gone. That also explains why AkBars is not at the foreigners cap now. Management is probably very careful now with throwing money at a foreign player. I get it, guys like Möller want to be on a winning team not part of a rebuild. Rynnas was a bad signing from the get go. Sjögren was a hope, a hope he finds chemistry with his buddy Möller.

Additionally they finally got rid of a lot of dead weight the vets they signed through the contending years have become. I would have let them go the day they started the rebuild, but it is what is. They are gone now.

So what we have on our hands now is that:

Goaltending:

A+,

no questions here. Galimov and Garipov are a very solid tandem. I expect Galimov to be the starter. Garipov is every bit talented, but has a mental weakness which reflects on his consistency. As a backup he is all we could wish for. If he wants to battle for the no.1 spot, he can do it. There is also enough depth in the system to replace one or both goalies if injuries happen. Bilyalov might be the next regular backup or starter for the years to come. Note that they are all AkBArs school products.

Defence:

B-,

letting Daloga go has a lot to do with how Billyaletdinov sees the team. Looks like he wants it to be big and mean which Daloga is clearly not. He's had trouble defensively at times, but his mobility will be missed. Except for Musin and Paigin(which is an official number but I doubt it by now, especially with his height) there will be no D-man under 90kg on the regular roster.

Notably there is a number of clear cut stay at home guys.

There will be a good mix of youth and experience on the D, but I miss the obvious offensive, puck moving talent. Paigin is still raw. Definitely not fit to carry the PP yet. Yarullin has become more of an allrounder with not enough offensive skill to be that #1. I worry for the PP units and can only hope the youngsters take make huge steps forward. There is a lot of youth to look at though. Yarullin, Paigin, Sidrov, Abrosimov, Musin are all in different stages of development so it remains to be seen how they respond to the challenge. By the end of the season I'd love to see Paigin and Yarullin anchor the PP units as bona fide KHLers.

Offence:

B,

all will depend on chemistry and Billyaletdinov's willingness to form effective lines and not stick to them for too long even if they are not working. As team officials admitted they couldn't find a center for the "foreign line" of Sekac and Azevedo, while Azevedo can play center himself. There will be moves during the season if there is a player available on the market. For now there is good depth.

Varnakov, Tkachyov and Azevedo should carry the main load. Malykhin should push hard to join this group(if it wasn't for his skating).

After that there is a very solid secondary scoring group. The usual suspects: Dima-the-glue-Obukhov and Artyom "Luk" Lukoyanov. Hard workers, all heart, fan favorites every year. Sekac should be a good fit with Azevedo doing the dirty work for him. The Popov-Glinkin duo coming form Chelyabinsk should have some chemistry in place. Svitov should still be good for some goals, while he is more of a veteran leader figure now. Golubev the little pest will be on rotation I guess. How the other additions fare remains to be seen. Pankov, Zhukov, Chibisov, Arkhipov will be on rotation probably for the first games. Lazarev will get a tryout. Mikheeev looked good in short stints last year. Knowing Bill I guess he will quickly decide on who is becoming a regular and who is sent down.

This team is not a contender and should be looked at as such. The rebuild is still in progress.

I will comment on the lines and pairings and how they looked after tonight's game.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Why does signing Ohtamaa mean Daloga is cut?

Keeping both, that's still only 4 foreigners.

It's not about the foreigners limit at all. It's a move from a mobile offensive minded guy to a stay at home vet. I don't like it. Time will tell. But for me Ohtamaa has be a solid rock so I like the signing.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Thank you so much for the detailed preview, I definitely enjoyed it! Luckily I'll be able to watch Ak Bars tonight as well. I am already excited for Ak Bars 2018/19 or 19/20.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Well, Sekac scored a goal, that's a good sign.

Btw Atas, living in Kazan, are you also a Rubin fan?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
A mixed bag of first impressions:

-the new jumbotron is huge. I'll have to get used to small digits for PP/PK time left though.

-the new boards are new. Also to the players obviously as they still have to learn where the bounces go. One bounce to out benefit tonight, so all good here so far.

-the new glass panels in the curves are too narrow, the connections are blocking a good chunk of a view towards the goal.

-obviously no idea how the TV picture looks. Going to find out in 2 days.

The team:

Lines tonight

Lukoyanov - Tkachev - Azevedo
Glukhov - Malykhin - Varnakov
Glinkin - Popov - Sekac
Lazarev - Zhukov - Chibisov

Rough game for Tkachyov playing with the full mask,so still recoverng from an injury. Don't know how it affected his game, but he barely made any good decisions for his level. As a result a fairly invisible Azevedo too until that one PK with Sekac(which is supposed to be a part of a regular line some time going forward).

Nothing spectacular from the Malykhin line. We do need another center. Varnakov is a goal scorer. He scored his goal, but it was a good shot by Batyrshin he preyed on. Goal scorer's goal. Varnakov is in good shape. The line not so much.

Fairly happy with the 3rd line. Glinkin-Popov is working. Obvious chemistry is there. They create chances, they will get the goals. Secondary scoring as it should be. Sekac was good as the 3rd man on the line.

Lazarev was given offensive zone starts mostly. He has some skill. Looked gassed towards the end, nearly dying in long shifts. The speed of grown men hockey seems to be a bit overwhelming after all. Let's wait and see how he manages the grind of a long season. Other than that the big guys on the 4th line were working hard, but looked like a 4th line. No skill to create something out of the box or finish. Chibisov should learn to use his size better.

The D pairings have gone through some changes, so it's better to go through the players.

Ohtamaa as advertised. Very solid in his own end. Little to no offence.

Batyrshin with fewer minutes than expected. One good hit he got penalized for. A smart play that led to a goal. Expected veterean poise. Liked the signing actually.

"Uncle Styopa" Zakharchuk finally in his role as a 3rd pairing stay at home guy with some hits that got Riha going:handclap:. All good here finally. Having him on the 1st pairing was a nightmare.

Tokranov with an uneventful showing which is okay for him being a middle pairing guy.

Big things I expect for Paigin. He looks much more mature than a year ago and he has that all around level. Good offensively, good pinching, good in the neutral zone, good shots, good in the own zone using his reach well(still needs to beef up to fill out the huge frame). Nothing but praise. After one game though. But Billyaletdinov obviously also sees change as evidenced by his ice time.

Yarullin with a good game. The leading OD obviously right now. I hope he embraces the role more and more as the season progresses.

The one guy who is getting an F is Musin. As I mentioned in one of the previous posts the ne small guy on the D, but as I predicted a year ago he seems to have reached his ceiling early. I see no change in his game. He is still chasing the play often, not tough enough, not skilled enough to contribute offensively. A trainwreck in this game at least. A year ago he looked more consistent and reliable than Paigin, but one could see that Paigin is the one whose game is going to grow. Bring on Sidorov when he is back from the U20 NT. Abrosimov will probably get the nod instead of Musin soon.

Garipov was okay in goal with two or three bad rebounds, but he basically made the saves he had to make. Still those focus losses are what prevents him from becoming a starter.

Despite the good grades to most defencemen personally there are still holes in the team's defensive play. Forwards made a lot of own zone mistakes that lead to unneeded stints on the D. Some blunders lead to chances a team better than Slovan will use thankfully. It might be the opening night rust, but I think it reflects some more systemic troubles on this roster. The team D has to become better structured.

The offence lacks one or better two players with game breaking skill. They are not creating necessarily dangerous plays. I know we are spoiled by the Morozov-Zaripov era, but that's exactly what the team needs - at least a duo that would be dangerous every shift.

On PP Bill used two units dfferent in design. The first unit with 4 forwards and Yarullin and the the 2nd with Tokranov and Paigin on the blue line. Both units were meh, mostly because of the forwards. No ojections towards the D-men.

The PK was alright with a SHG. And nearly everybody gets some PK time with Bill, as always.

From the scratched and injured I only expect a boost from Obukhov. I doubt a modern day Svitov will give the offence a spark.

Let's come back to this after 10 games.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well, Sekac scored a goal, that's a good sign.

Btw Atas, living in Kazan, are you also a Rubin fan?

I don't expect Sekac to be the leading scorer by season's end, but he looks like a good fit.

As for football, that stupid game I have no idea how people can be excited about:sarcasm:, I do not know a single player's name on Rubin.

The popularity of football in Russia is a mystery to me. Especially nowadays. It's borderline masochism. Forget the popularity. People are actually okay with paying money for it and with the money those "football players" in Russia are paid. I refuse to even listen to people who have a problem with hockey player's salaries.

I have even less understanding for people following foreign leagues with no russian players. I can't watch a game if the outcome is meaningless to me. And the outcome is meaningless to me if it's a foreign team without Russians on it. Watching sports is about compassion for my countrymen or my home town team or people I know personally.

Now, if you survived my anti-football slur :) there is a bonus for you in it.

I like playing football, but it is just a terrible bore to watch.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Paigin isn't playing right now vs Medvescak, but it looks like he isn't the reason the team sucks, hehe.

This thread wasn't meant to be a place for haters to come hehe every time the team loses.

This is a proper result if you take the best OD, 2C and 2RW off the roster and replace them with the worst options available. So much for experimenting.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Do we know when will Batyrshin and Yarullin come back? Defense looks really shaky and this is unsustainable in the long run.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Last thing I read is that they are out long-term. How long that is no idea at this point however. One player who surprised me in all this is Tokranov, he really has some real offensive upside, kinda weird he's so deep in the depth chart.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Do we know when will Batyrshin and Yarullin come back? Defense looks really shaky and this is unsustainable in the long run.

Batyrshin is out till December following surgery. Yarullin out for at least 3 weeks.

Regarding where the team stands from my point of view this might even be a good thing, giving youth some valuable minutes. I don't expect the team to win anything this season anyway.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Pankov probabaly gone according to Billyaletdinov.

Paigin out 2-3 weeks. This is getting... interesting.

Our D as of now looks like a thin slice of swiss cheese.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $185.00