AHL West in 2015-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Moving parts... Like making sure the teams moving have a franchise. If I'm not mistaken, COL, ANA, and PHX don't own their affiliate. Who out east are willing to sell?

The AHL will not have seen such a siesmic shift of teams since absorbing the IHL 6 and subsequent shuffling.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
6 teams is 20% of the league, as stated, going to be interesting to see who wants to move.

canucks and flames are no brainers as they own teams. ducks,kings sharks and coyotes would be top canidates. i think the sharks own their ahl team also. so utica, glens falls, portland, worcster, norfolk, and manchester... winipeg is also supposed to move but im not sure if its connected.

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
Kings own Manchester, and San Jose owns Wor so they are both gone for sure. Leaves a beautiful building in Manchester open for one of us small market east teams to be gobbled up. Gonna be a crazy year that is for sure. Would Flames bolt to the west and where after one year in ADR? Would Van leave Utica and hop to Abbotsford? What is thier deal with Esche? What markets in the west are open? So as we all know the talk of the western teams liking their farm teams in the east so they can practice more is irrelevalnt. Even in a west division you are still going to have what 40 something games out of division? Still lots of travel for teams out there...

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Kings own Manchester, and San Jose owns Wor so they are both gone for sure. Leaves a beautiful building in Manchester open for one of us small market east teams to be gobbled up. Gonna be a crazy year that is for sure. Would Flames bolt to the west and where after one year in ADR? Would Van leave Utica and hop to Abbotsford? What is thier deal with Esche? What markets in the west are open? So as we all know the talk of the western teams liking their farm teams in the east so they can practice more is irrelevalnt. Even in a west division you are still going to have what 40 something games out of division? Still lots of travel for teams out there...

Charles Dart @CharlesMDart
Follow

re last RT: Lake Erie (COL), Manchester (LA), Norfolk (ANA), Portland (PHX), St. John's (WPG), Worcester (SJ) all possibly moving. #AHL
2:05 PM - 11 Jun 2014

That's a rumored lineup. Of those teams, Colorado, Anaheim, and Phoenix do not own their AHL affiliates. So who's selling to allow the move?

Also, nothing says the AHL couldn't pull an ECHL type move and let the six teams play with themselves all season, then making them travel come playoffs.

I have a feeling that the ECHL Western Conference will disappear, to be replaced by this new AHL West Division (mostly based in California).

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Funny thing is Winnipeg is not further west than Dallas and we already know they are moving to Thunder Bay which is not further west than Des Moines or Cedar Park or OKC.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
That's a rumored lineup. Of those teams, Colorado, Anaheim, and Phoenix do not own their AHL affiliates. So who's selling to allow the move?

Also, nothing says the AHL couldn't pull an ECHL type move and let the six teams play with themselves all season, then making them travel come playoffs.

I have a feeling that the ECHL Western Conference will disappear, to be replaced by this new AHL West Division (mostly based in California).
Quite honestly it will be lucky if it lasts five years. The east teams will not travel out there, and that means those teams will be playing each other a lot(12-16) times a year. The fan base will get sick of watching the same opponents all the time. Some of the mid west teams will go out. But those teams will have a lot of expenses and competing with the nice weather for fans. Lond cold winters makes the north east work for the ahl.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Funny thing is Winnipeg is not further west than Dallas and we already know they are moving to Thunder Bay which is not further west than Des Moines or Cedar Park or OKC.

I've been checking and have not found where the City of Thunder Bay has given the go ahead on building the proposed arena. And if they do, they have stated it will be at least five years before the project is completed.
So could see Winnipeg looking for another city close by to put their team if the AHL West Division comes about.

With the Midwest teams, they can go East or West. So the teams in the West would not have to get stuck playing the each other over and over.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Um, yeah - call me when you've got something solid. :D

Being skeptical's definitely a good attitude to have given the obvious potential magnitude of the news, but I would have to imagine that Andrews wouldn't have opened his yap on a subject like this if at least the groundwork wasn't already laid out already.

Not seeing a practical reason to say something about this if the AHL didn't have the intention to do it (and reason to believe it could actually be done).

That being said, it does raise a lot of questions about which teams may move, which teams would be sold, which western markets would be open for a team (Abbotsford is the obvious option, maybe Sacramento as well, and possibly a place like Ontario jumps from the ECHL to the AHL, but there are also barriers like the existence of junior hockey in the Pacific Northwest likely blocking potential landing spots for teams), and what, if any, role that teams in Texas and possibly Thunder Bay would have on the new conference/division.

A whole lotta questions...

Last edited:

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
"It's not all poppycock and it's beyond an idea," Andrews said on the show, "but it is still a work in progress and it's an ongoing process between the league and five of the western-based NHL teams, potentially perhaps even more than five.
"As you can imagine, there are a lot of moving parts to figuring out a way to relocate five teams out to the West Coast. We have essentially agreed with those teams on a framework in which we would see it happen, but there are a number of transactions that have to play out before it's going to happen. In terms of a timeframe, 2015-16 is possible. But a lot has to fall into place before that's going to happen."

"It's not an easy project and it's really not a fait accompli as yet," Andrews said on the show. "Some of the terms and conditions are sort of in place, but there's a lot more to be done before it becomes a reality."

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/inde...s_tells_marek_vs_wy.html#incart_river_default

Includes: "LINK TO 'MAREK VS. WYSHYNSKI' PODCAST (JUNE 11 EDITION)"

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA

I spoke with Len Komoroski not too long ago and he said that there is no way you would see Lake Erie not be in the AHL. The Cavaliers need to have a second tenant as per their contract with Cuyahoga County to run the building. Back in 1992 when the Muskegon Lumberjacks were planning to move to Cleveland they had an agreement in place with the Cleveland State convocation center, including adding ice. But at the last minute the Cavs swept in and they played two years at Richfield before moving to the new arena.
When the Jacks folded the Gund's bought the Thoroughblades and they became the Barons. After both the Cavs and Sharks were sold, the lease they drew up was a detriment to the Sharks, so off to Worcester they went. But as that was happening, Andrews was helping Gilbert and Komoroski buy the dormant Grizzlies, who then became the Lake Erie Monsters we know today. One thing he was a lot less forthcoming about is the affiliation with Colorado. They are not at all happy with the Avs and the fans are furious after six of seven years outside the playoffs. So the Avs might try to find another franchise to affiliate/and or buy. And not too many people in NE Ohio would be sorry to see the Avs go bye bye. If anyone has ever been to Quicken Loans Arena you would see how much Monsters' branding there is. The affiliation will (hopefully) go, but the franchise will be in Cleveland for a long time.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I spoke with Len Komoroski not too long ago and he said that there is no way you would see Lake Erie not be in the AHL. The Cavaliers need to have a second tenant as per their contract with Cuyahoga County to run the building. Back in 1992 when the Muskegon Lumberjacks were planning to move to Cleveland they had an agreement in place with the Cleveland State convocation center, including adding ice. But at the last minute the Cavs swept in and they played two years at Richfield before moving to the new arena.
When the Jacks folded the Gund's bought the Thoroughblades and they became the Barons. After both the Cavs and Sharks were sold, the lease they drew up was a detriment to the Sharks, so off to Worcester they went. But as that was happening, Andrews was helping Gilbert and Komoroski buy the dormant Grizzlies, who then became the Lake Erie Monsters we know today. One thing he was a lot less forthcoming about is the affiliation with Colorado. They are not at all happy with the Avs and the fans are furious after six of seven years outside the playoffs. So the Avs might try to find another franchise to affiliate/and or buy. And not too many people in NE Ohio would be sorry to see the Avs go bye bye. If anyone has ever been to Quicken Loans Arena you would see how much Monsters' branding there is. The affiliation will (hopefully) go, but the franchise will be in Cleveland for a long time.

Columbus Blue Jackets would be a good fit.

dmband

Feb 15, 2010
Boston, Ma
Being skeptical's definitely a good attitude to have given the obvious potential magnitude of the news, but I would have to imagine that Andrews wouldn't have opened his yap on a subject like this if at least the groundwork wasn't already laid out already.

A whole lotta questions...

Agree. I would also think its a virtual lock for 2015-2016. While the logistics are daunting, there is no way the AHL can have 6 teams in lame duck status for 2 seasons. That would be a disaster for business.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Makes you wonder what other moves are on the table. Such as fortifying those teams out east that are good and or stable like Manchester etc. Also makes you wonder if portland had any heads up on this before the whole arguing and crap started and ended on the area lease.
I could see some possible moving around of affiliations etc like maybe say....Albany being sold to the Manchester group or whatever.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Where did the Thunder Cats play?

It will be interesting to see how many teams actually move the teams. Also, maybe Colorado gets a team and moves it to say Colorado Springs.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Agree. I would also think its a virtual lock for 2015-2016. While the logistics are daunting, there is no way the AHL can have 6 teams in lame duck status for 2 seasons. That would be a disaster for business.

How about 3 or 4 teams move for one season and the other 1,2 or 3 move the next season? That would work without the pioneers playing each other 22 times each.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
No they don't... It expires after this season.

so are the Coyotes, what's your point, wildcat

this is why 2015-16 is ludicrous as it stands I can see 2018 or later based off arena leases

I also now don't see LA abandoning Manchester after 2016, after what they've accomplished there the lasst 3 seasons, either

I wish that the newcomers to this board here think and research before posting their opinions, even if they haven't seen some of these teams, tbth, because it's making those true AHL Fans defensive and cynical without knowing what the league or its teams are willing to reveal to their fanbases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad