AHL Veteran Rule question

member 105785

An AHL team can only have 5/18 players who aren't classified as "development players"

question: what the h*ck classifies them as a development player? I know the Utica Comets have a problem with way too many vets on the roster, but I'm unsure of how they could go about alleviating that problem as I don't know who qualifies as a veteran or not

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
A quick question did the AHL change the rule from last season as I think last season a team could dress 6 "Vets" or am wrong on that??????

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Its is a "developmental" or "affiliated" minor league. I always thought teams like Hershey, Chicago, Rochester, and others who sign their own "veteran" free agent non prospects or non rookies should do so not with free reign. You had teams like Hershey who late in the second half of the season would make their own roster moves outside of the parent club and then run away with the league or pose a serious challenge to a team who has earned it all season. I don't approve of the Pacific teams playing an easier schedule and the stupid points Pct. system either but watching the Cali teams come in and shake up the league when they arrived and ticking of the old guard AHL franchises was fun to watch. Now teams like Rochester have to work within their system, they don't have the luxuries of attracting their own free agent veteran talent. If your team in NHL parent club owned they are more likely to work within the system of what they have which is better and fair IMO. The club has to work through call ups and injuries, they win games and find well earned success.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FAQ | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League
In the AHL, player development is a top priority. The American Hockey League and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association have the following development rule in place:
Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Here's the exact wording of veteran rule.

Reactions: Tao Jones

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Is Allsvenskan considered a European elite league by the AHL?

I'm trying to determine Viktor Loov's status.
No it is not. That question came up when Vancouver signed Philip Holm as a free agent and sent him to Utica. If you add up the number of games that Holm played in Sweden in both the SHL and Allsvenskan he would have been classified as a vet. But Holm is not a vet this year by AHL rules so only the SHL is considered an elite league by the AHL.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
No it is not. That question came up when Vancouver signed Philip Holm as a free agent and sent him to Utica. If you add up the number of games that Holm played in Sweden in both the SHL and Allsvenskan he would have been classified as a vet. But Holm is not a vet this year by AHL rules so only the SHL is considered an elite league by the AHL.

Thanks. That gives Loov 226 pro games to start 2017-18.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
UPDATE to veteran rule coming for 2020-21; 260 minimum game limit remains, tweak is age 25 for non-applique

found this on the Sabre/Rochester team board

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
UPDATE to veteran rule coming for 2020-21; 260 minimum game limit remains, tweak is age 25 for non-applique

found this on the Sabre/Rochester team board
Do you mean the rule wouldn't apply to anyone under age 25? I'm confused because I only know the word "applique" as a needlepoint technique where you sew pieces of fabric to another larger piece to create a picture or pattern.

If that is the case it doesn't seem to affect too many players. If you start playing in the AHL at 20, and play a full schedule each year, you will reach 260 during your third season, so you would become a vet the following year, when you are 24, so this adds one more season. Players who aren't drafted into the Canadian junior system could potentially join the AHL at a younger age and get an extra year, or even two, without becoming a veteran, but I don't think that is a huge number, since many guys have graduated to the NHL by that point anyway.

If I'm not doing the math right I'm happy to be corrected.

Reactions: 210

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Do you mean the rule wouldn't apply to anyone under age 25? I'm confused because I only know the word "applique" as a needlepoint technique where you sew pieces of fabric to another larger piece to create a picture or pattern.

If that is the case it doesn't seem to affect too many players. If you start playing in the AHL at 20, and play a full schedule each year, you will reach 260 during your third season, so you would become a vet the following year, when you are 24, so this adds one more season. Players who aren't drafted into the Canadian junior system could potentially join the AHL at a younger age and get an extra year, or even two, without becoming a veteran, but I don't think that is a huge number, since many guys have graduated to the NHL by that point anyway.

If I'm not doing the math right I'm happy to be corrected.
YEA, THAT'S SOUNDS LIKE the direction under the new CBA NEXT SEASON, THE 260 RULE isn't changing but the 25 yr old notation may not be for the CHL, but those that don't fall under the current rule, the days of European players returning to North America prior to now, was shut down years ago, if anyone was under 20 as the current rule is now but hadn't completed 4 years of Juniors when draft-eligible, teams would have to petition the league for 18 or 19 year olds to be classified and it's regardless of league, is where the 260 number was set when the initial rule was instituted basically it forces all teams at the AHL Level to be developmental-based rather than what some teams were doing and then forcing to sit 2+ veteran players.....

ok, the 260 game limit isn't changing, but the addition is, veteran age limit of 25, by July 1st each year, royals, to be classified as a veteran, not as a developmental prospect , if that clarifies the tweak in the rule

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Here is the original tweet referencing the change:

To be a vet you need 260 games plus you had to turn 25 prior to July 1. Since you can start in the AHL at 18 (September 15 birthdate cutoff), a player with the right birthday could play 8 full seasons before becoming a veteran. Could be over 600 games if he wasn't injured - more if he got traded or called up and exceeded 76 games per year.

Reactions: uncleben and 210

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

To be a vet you need 260 games plus you had to turn 25 prior to July 1. Since you can start in the AHL at 18 (September 15 birthdate cutoff), a player with the right birthday could play 8 full seasons before becoming a veteran. Could be over 600 games if he wasn't injured - more if he got traded or called up and exceeded 76 games per year.

except how do you account for the 68 game Pacific Division, royals, not everyone plays 76

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Its is a "developmental" or "affiliated" minor league. I always thought teams like Hershey, Chicago, Rochester, and others who sign their own "veteran" free agent non prospects or non rookies should do so not with free reign. You had teams like Hershey who late in the second half of the season would make their own roster moves outside of the parent club and then run away with the league or pose a serious challenge to a team who has earned it all season. I don't approve of the Pacific teams playing an easier schedule and the stupid points Pct. system either but watching the Cali teams come in and shake up the league when they arrived and ticking of the old guard AHL franchises was fun to watch. Now teams like Rochester have to work within their system, they don't have the luxuries of attracting their own free agent veteran talent. If your team in NHL parent club owned they are more likely to work within the system of what they have which is better and fair IMO. The club has to work through call ups and injuries, they win games and find well earned success.

Thank you for your opinion but all the teams operate under the same rules. There is nothing preventing any team from doing what any other team does.

I do not think you can play in the AHL at 18. I think the minimum age is 20.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Thank you for your opinion but all the teams operate under the same rules. There is nothing preventing any team from doing what any other team does.

there are 18 year olds playing, tommy, one was assigned to Grand Rapids, the rule is teams have to petition the league to approve them, because Bergeron landed in Providence at 18

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

One of hockey’s most misunderstood and incorrectly cited rules is the American Hockey League’s age restrictions. Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the league is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season.
So where does the AHL’s oft-cited “20-year-old player rule” come in? This rule is based on the NHL and CHL Agreement, which states a signed player aged 18 or 19 who was claimed from a CHL club and is not retained by the NHL club, must be assigned to the CHL junior club whom he last played for or owes a contractual obligation.
In 1979, the National Hockey lowered the draft eligibility age over a two-year period from 20 to the present-day 18 (with the birthday cut off set at Sept. 15 of the draft’s calendar year). Concurrently, in order to keep CHL teams strong both on the ice and at the box office, CHL players under 20 whose NHL rightsholder deemed not quite ready for the NHL were required to return to their Canadian major junior team rather than playing in the AHL during the season.
Those basic requirements have held in place ever since. However, for young players signed out of Europe or collegiate players who give up their remaining NCAA eligibility in order to sign an NHL entry-level contract or AHL minor league contract, the minimum age to play in the AHL is 18.

Who can play where… and why

Reactions: 210

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
except how do you account for the 68 game Pacific Division, royals, not everyone plays 76
I said, "as many as 600, or more under some circumstances". I didn't say every player who stays in the AHL for 8 seasons would play that many games. Lots of players have injuries, or are scratched from some games for various reasons, or get sent down to the ECHL, or called up and scratched. I assumed everyone reading this board was aware of the fact that most players don't play in every single game for their team during their career, and that there are different numbers of games in the Pacific division vs the rest of the league. I was simply pointing out the maximum impact this could have - which is pretty significant for a small subset of players, less so for others.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
there are 18 year olds playing, tommy, one was assigned to Grand Rapids, the rule is teams have to petition the league to approve them, because Bergeron landed in Providence at 18

There is no such rule. The minimum age to play in the AHL is 18 (as of September 18 of the current hockey year). If an organization could find 18 skaters and two goalies all 18 years old and not covered by the NHL/CHL agreement, they could field that team.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad