AHL Henderson Silver Knights news/notes

MarketSquare

Apr 26, 2020
I've heard some great things about this project. Vegas is turning into a great hockey town. I think Raiders are in trouble for community support. Vegas area is going all in with hockey. who would have thunk it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Raiders are like an adopted step child. VGK is VegasBorn.

There will probably be some support for the Silver and Black, but not as enthusiastically as the home town hockey team.

Reactions: ck26 and Nighthock

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I've heard some great things about this project. Vegas is turning into a great hockey town. I think Raiders are in trouble for community support. Vegas area is going all in with hockey. who would have thunk it.

The NFL never has a problem getting support, but hockey was just much better suited for the size of the community in getting its first major league team. The big event nature of the NFL will do fine with all the tourism once people are coming back to visit, but hockey resonates much stronger with the local community once you get the non-hockey fans to watch it.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Not everyone in GVR is happy about this:
Hundreds protest Henderson plans to build hockey arena
RJ paywall. I live here and sort of agree with this group, mostly where transparency is concerned. But if they build a new arena and fill it regularly, as well as put up pedestrian bridges over Paseo Verde, I think it'll be a win for the city. The thought of that area with something like 2,500 more cars coming from all over, along with the people crossing the street from the District is frightening.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Not everyone in GVR is happy about this:
Hundreds protest Henderson plans to build hockey arena
RJ paywall. I live here and sort of agree with this group, mostly where transparency is concerned. But if they build a new arena and fill it regularly, as well as put up pedestrian bridges over Paseo Verde, I think it'll be a win for the city. The thought of that area with something like 2,500 more cars coming from all over, along with the people crossing the street from the District is frightening.

Vegas used to be the center of the militant, NIMBY types. I used to tell people if someone privately financed an arena behind Ballys, as was the constant rumor before TMA was announced, you'd get thousands of people protesting that their traffic on Flamingo would be worse. Thankfully the widespread opposition to growth projects has subsided, but the people who reflexively respond to things they don't care about as being bad for the community still remain.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Proposed Henderson minor league hockey arena to cost $80M

Arena to cost $80m. Costs split between VGK and city of Henderson.

According to a contract with the team, the arena would be about 165,000 square-feet, have four locker rooms, have a green room and dressing rooms, as well as infrastructure to support the performing arts. It would also contain space for at least one 6,000 square-foot restaurant and 2,000 square-feet of retail space.

If approved, construction would start on the arena no later than August 1, and the team would move in no later than July 1, 2022, according to a contract.

The initial lease term for the arena would be 20 years, with annual rent for the team set at $150,000. The lease includes extension provisions and a non-relocation requirement.

20 year term. Decent length.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I think they have a case, but fighting a losing cause. That pavilion is somewhat of a white elephant and if they can put a profitable building there at half the cost, good luck stopping it.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
upload_2020-5-26_23-24-11.jpeg

Henderson Satanic Kittens

Cute and evil, I guess that works.

Reactions: hangman005

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We're pretty sure we know the name and colors. It's about the logo and jersey, and less so the secondary logo and wordmark.

It's some news at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad