AHL & ECHL Affiliate Thread II - Running With the Wolves and Sailing with the Admirals

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh Norfolk is on the East Coast! I had always somehow imagined that Norfolk was somewhere around Wisconsin or thereabout.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You laugh but the Navys west coast Master jet airstation that has the longest runways in the country is in Lemoore Cali. 2 hours from the coast

I knew that NAS Lemoore was the main West Coast airbase for the Navy after Miramar got transferred to the Marines but I had no appreciation for how far inland it is. Also, on the tangent, one of my favorite facts is that in World War II quite a few US submarines were built at Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company - in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. My assumption had always been that they would sail them through the Great Lakes, up the St. Lawrence, down the East Coast, into the Caribbean, and into the Panama Canal to deliver them to the Pacific. NOPE. They'd sail them down Lake Michigan to Chicago, through the Chicago Ship and Sanitary Canal, to the Illinois River and then down the Mississippi to the Gulf. Makes sense, but just not something I would have expected.

Speaking of shipping (SEGUE!) how do we think the Pesce/DeAngelo protocol will impact the Wolves and Admirals and who'll get shipped down here to cover for them?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
ECHL hockey was better in the 90s there I said it.

Well yea, there were like 30 teams all on the EAST coast, lots of great rivalries...Greensboro, SC, Pee Dee, Columbia, Hampton Roads, Roanoke, Richmond (not all at the same time but over the years)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Chicago won the big showdown 2-0. Lyon had a 30 shot shutout. Sellgren must have been mad that he wasn’t called up, he had a goal.

Reactions: DaveG

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Well yea, there were like 30 teams all on the EAST coast, lots of great rivalries...Greensboro, SC, Pee Dee, Columbia, Hampton Roads, Roanoke, Richmond (not all at the same time but over the years)

Got to see Gretzky one time in Winston-Salem because of the ECHL...well, sure, it was Brent Gretzky--but he was part of the highest scoring brother groups of all time.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Saturday night (posted in the game thread) Chicago won 2-1. Drury had the game winner. Makiniemi stopped 23 of 24.

Today Chicago won 4-0 to sweep the series over the 3rd place Wild. Lyon with his 2nd straight shutout on 20 saves. Cotton and Drury were the 2 prospects to score. Bokk, Rees and Drury had assists as well. After only one point in his first 7 games, Bokk has 5 in his last 8 games. Drury had 3 points in this series to give him 11 in 20 games.

overall the team defense and goalies only allowed 1 goal on 74 shots in the 3 game series.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
You’d think they’ll likely call up a forward for the trip through western Canada with Martinook out and Svechnikov potentially nursing an injury. If they do end up calling up someone, it’s most likely Leivo, but I’d certainly wouldn’t mind seeing Drury get in a game or 2.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
You’d think they’ll likely call up a forward for the trip through western Canada with Martinook out and Svechnikov potentially nursing an injury. If they do end up calling up someone, it’s most likely Leivo, but I’d certainly wouldn’t mind seeing Drury get in a game or 2.
Leivo has done well but Poturalski and CJ Smith should get the nod. Their play has been very good and they are scoring in bunches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad