AHL Cleveland (Lake Erie) not moving

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Many things are possible. I think that Arizona, Colorado and Vancouver will be late to the West coast party. How late? Who knows?

Arizona... Maybe never unless they just affiliate with San Antonio. Colorado would be better in the mid west as the play Chicago,stlouis etc. Vancouver, sooner or later but appear happy for now......

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Arizona... Maybe never unless they just affiliate with San Antonio. Colorado would be better in the mid west as the play Chicago,stlouis etc. Vancouver, sooner or later but appear happy for now......

Arizona has already tried San Antonio, and it didn't end well, because they easily could've extended there 4 years ago, the question in Coyote management is will it be Don Maloney signing the next PDC, or does IA/Barroway have any control over preference....

very similar to 2009 when Pegula thumbed his nose after 1 look at Portland and proceeded to buy Rochester except for that severance clause both Utica and Portland have.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Arizona has already tried San Antonio, and it didn't end well, because they easily could've extended there 4 years ago, the question in Coyote management is will it be Don Maloney signing the next PDC, or does IA/Barroway have any control over preference....

very similar to 2009 when Pegula thumbed his nose after 1 look at Portland and proceeded to buy Rochester except for that severance clause both Utica and Portland have.

What is Utica's relevance to what you posted?

Tackla

Jul 2, 2013
Because there are NO AHL frnachises for sale. None. Zip. NAda. Zilch. Null.

Is this a recurring joke or something. I'll just assume it is.

Also, I can see the Blue Jackets wanting their affiliate in Cleveland, badly.

dru

Jarmo Unchained
Jun 9, 2005
CBUS
www.colorriot.com
Cleveland should absolutely be Columbus' farm team.

Columbus already has the AAA club for the Cleveland Indians so this makes too much sense.

Timl2009

Apr 21, 2006
Canton, Ohio
Cleveland should absolutely be Columbus' farm team.

Columbus already has the AAA club for the Cleveland Indians so this makes too much sense.

One really has nothing to do with the other. But I would like to see Columbus affiliating with the Monsters down the road..

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Very quick rendition of the Monsters using CBJ colours

l2nTR83.png

...I like it!

But then again, we'd lose this beauty
q3xGBvn.png

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Cleveland re-affiliates with Columbus, I think they would re-brand completely.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
I've said Columbus should affiliate with the Monsters for years. It makes sense especially since Columbus markets itself all over Ohio as Ohio's NHL team. However, when I travel to the Cleveland area, I always notice a large Penguins fanbase. A Monsters' affiliation with Columbus could be usefull in establishing CBJ deeper into the local hockey market, through marketing but also fans connecting with the CBJ prospects playing for the Monsters.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Because there are NO AHL frnachises for sale. None. Zip. NAda. Zilch. Null.
Truth is there wasn't a team for sale. After Anaheim didn't renew and a replacement couldn't be found. The Norfolk owner had three options:
Go it alone , Go dark or Sell

Norfolk was the first but won't be the last to be strong-armed to sell. NHL wants it and AHL has no real power. If your team is independently owned it is a target.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Truth is there wasn't a team for sale. After Anaheim didn't renew and a replacement couldn't be found. The Norfolk owner had three options:
Go it alone , Go dark or Sell

Norfolk was the first but won't be the last to be strong-armed to sell. NHL wants it and AHL has no real power. If your team is independently owned it is a target.

He was being facetious. Hutch had posted more than a few times this season that CAHLifornia wasn't happening this year because there were no teams for sale and that leases can't be broken.

Timl2009

Apr 21, 2006
Canton, Ohio
Now would be a good time to bring the Cleveland Barons back. The NHL failure was nearly 40 years ago. Oklahoma City moving to Bakersfield opens up the Barons name once again..Bring back the original Barons AHL colors and logo. Play up the original AHL team's success..With Gilbert behind it, it could work, plus you could sell more merchandise..

Whle I am a fan of the Monsters and hope they win, I don't feel quite the "connection" with the Monsters name as I do the Barons..

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
Yeah because the name worked so well from 2001-06. Anyone who thinks that the team would ever rebrand either has never been to the Q to see how much branding the logo has throughout the building or two is delusional. The Barons name is tainted in this area except for a few old timers who they don't care about. The franchise is doing quite well as it is, except for it's horrible parent club.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Yeah because the name worked so well from 2001-06. Anyone who thinks that the team would ever rebrand either has never been to the Q to see how much branding the logo has throughout the building or two is delusional. The Barons name is tainted in this area except for a few old timers who they don't care about. The franchise is doing quite well as it is, except for it's horrible parent club.

I am impressed with the Monsters organization and fan support. I see they had about 9200 last night and are at the toppish of the league in attendance. Proof that local ownership is doing a great job marketing a minor league team in a major league city.

Seems to me the last reincarnation of the Barons from 01-06 didn't work so well.

Hope the Monsters get a better parent team and hope the franchise continues to grow and build, this coming from a small market Comets fan.

I am old enough to remember reading about the original Barons and the old arena. Remember when they moved to Jacksonville 1/2 way thru the 1st WHA 72-73 season. And of course remember the 2 yr Richfield NHL Barons. The Monster marketing seems to being doing well with team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad