OT: AHL call ups aren't bad actually.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
As mentioned in title, why do we have to go out look for players when we have our own farm team performing great and players deserve a chance to play in NHL?

How many teams this year actually outplayed many teams with AHL players? Detroit, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota and many other cup contending teams like Chicago, St Louis, San Jose regularly adding key players from farm team time to time.

Why not calling up Ashton, Holland, Granberg, Leivo, D'Amigo, Abbot? Why are we afraid of calling them up, what is their to lose? It's not like we are a contending team and we will lose our playoff spot or anything.

These players are hungry and they'll put their heart and soul to win games. That's what happened to the teams above. Let them have a taste of NHL and make them addicted to the drug named NHL, they will out perform some plugs we sign every year. If something has to be changed with our culture start with this and then complain about others.

Discuss.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is the main thing I hated about Carlyle this year, his absolute refusal to give meaningful minutes to AHL callups.

Ashton was shafted a bunch of times when he was outplaying a lot of the regulars. Giving him under 3 minutes a game was a joke.

D'Amigo was given a bit more minutes for a short period of time, and he looked really good but was demoted because FML was coming out of the IR... what the ****.

I don't like the way he has handle the younger forwards this year at all. Rielly and Gardiner got their minutes, but only after being benched a lot and low minutes.

Leivo and Broll looked decent near the beginning of the year but they needed AHL seasoning in their game, it was pretty apparent. They are rookies after all. But D'Amigo and Ashton really showed they could play top 9 minutes and deserved better in their callups. Orr and McLaren just needed to get the **** out... We got one down, hopefully the other is out soon too.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
we need to get rid of those top six/bottom six. the first line has clearly hit the wall [everyone had said this would happen], and the 4th line is finally playing more, because 1/3rd of it is g-o-n-e.

hopefully whoever is coaching will see the benefit of coming at teams in waves.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Well I was wondering how many of us fans want to see our own players being called up than wasting money on some plugs like Clarkson next season. There are lots of players we can call up, some of them deserves the chance and some of them needs some time like Gardiner, Rielly, Kadri.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
I've heard Dreger talk recently about how if Carlyle isn't on board with letting these Marlies play, then he's gone. Which is so freakin obvious in the first place. I totally agree these guys deserve a shot. The way Carlyle relies on guys like Mcclement, the 1st line, while guys like Kadri sit there because he takes chances and makes mistakes. You can't learn if you guy buried for making a mistake. It's the same with the Ashtons, guys like Holland and D'amigo who look to be well on their way to another long Marlie playoff run. Looks like Rielly could join them as well. That is valuable experience, but so is getting in an NHL game and playing 9-10 minutes on a competent 4th line. Johan Franzen was on Detroits 4th line when he came up because they just rolled their best 12. Forget top 6 bottom 6, or even top 9. Just go with your best 12. We've seen Raymond and JVR's pk'ing ability, leading to a few shorties as well. Just roll your top 12. That's why I don't want us to hire Steve Spott. He still believes in top 6 bottom 6. I can't stand that.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Thought we all agreed that draft and develop was the way to go?

So now we're losing and its time to scrap any potential long term thinking and go for the immediate fix with the AHLer's?

You guys kill me.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

So now we're losing and its time to scrap any potential long term thinking and go for the immediate fix with the AHLer's?

You guys kill me.

At least better than immediate fix with FAs and trades. At least these are our own guys, our own players who we all know very well.

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
Why are you in a rush to bring players up. Let them develop, some players need a good 2 to 4 years to develop. Look at Detroit and how long there guys stay in the AHL for (Datsyuk, Zetteberg, Kornwall, Nyqusit) the list goes on and on. Let them learn how to win and become leaders not rush them in to a bad situation

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I hope you guys know there is a cap on how many recalls a team is allowed after the trade deadline. I think it is four, and the Leafs have already used some of them.
So, you can complain away about the Leafs not doing something they actually can't do anyway. Oh yes, then there is a salary cap.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hope you guys know there is a cap on how many recalls a team is allowed after the trade deadline. I think it is four, and the Leafs have already used some of them.
So, you can complain away about the Leafs not doing something they actually can't do anyway. Oh yes, then there is a salary cap.

Most complaints are from before the trade deadline.

Ashton and D'Amigo were either a healthy scratch to play Orr or McLaren, and when they did play, they were literally getting under 4-5 minutes every game. We were basically playing 3 lines, which is terrible.

This isn't the 80s. We don't need to play 2 or even 1 goon for 3 minutes. You need to roll 4 lines against the top teams because they will without hesitation.

Ashton and D'Amigo next to someone like McClement, Holland or even Smith on the 'fourth' line can easily play around 10 minutes a game to provide depth, energy and to also give a breather to your other lines... but Carlyle would rather play 3 lines mixed with an enforcer or two then to roll an actual full lineup... and then we wonder why we can't close a game in the third period. McClement cannot play 20 minutes a game, but Carlyle forces him to do it because he's got Orr and McLaren there doing nothing the whole game.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Why are you in a rush to bring players up. Let them develop, some players need a good 2 to 4 years to develop. Look at Detroit and how long there guys stay in the AHL for (Datsyuk, Zetteberg, Kornwall, Nyqusit) the list goes on and on. Let them learn how to win and become leaders not rush them in to a bad situation

Datsyuk and Zetterberg played 0 combined AHL games.

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
Datsyuk and Zetterberg played 0 combined AHL games.

sorry he played in russia for 4 years he was drafted in 98 and did play in the nhl till 2002 and zetterberg is the same but played in sweden so thats 4 years of development so give it a rest and both player were drafted 210th and 171st overall

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With the new raises for Kessel and Phaneuf kicking in and other still needing to be signed a Cap crunch will be in effect.

This is when it mission critical to be able to use your farm and development system to fill out the roster.

Next year "playing the kids" will not be optional but mandatory.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
From the forward group I believe Holland,Ashton,D'Amigo and Abbott are ready to take the next step. Who do they replace?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

You guys kill me.

Thing is Ashton, D'amigo, and Holland have all had enough time developing in the AHL and look like NHL calibre players now

I hate that Carlyle gives the young guys such limited minutes particularly when they're playing well

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
With the new raises for Kessel and Phaneuf kicking in and other still needing to be signed a Cap crunch will be in effect.

This is when it mission critical to be able to use your farm and development system to fill out the roster.

Next year "playing the kids" will not be optional but mandatory.

I sure hope so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad