Confirmed with Link: AHL Board of Governors Approves Relocation of Heat to Glens Falls, NY

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
As per Flames website.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=718079&navid=DL|CGY|home

The Calgary Flames announced today that the American Hockey League’s Board of Governors has approved the relocation of the franchise owned by the Flames from Abbotsford, B.C., to Glens Falls, N.Y., beginning with the 2014-15 season.

A press conference and more formal announcement will be conducted in Glens Falls mid next week. No further details will be provided until that time. More information on the scheduling of this press conference will be provided in the ensuing days.

Last edited:

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Le sigh, it could all work out though. Any one know if they will retain the name 'Heat'?

Not sure. Their is a local baseball team called the Adirondack Heat. So a name change would make sense.

Myself, I'm hoping they call them the Flames and use the old Atlanta Flames flaming A as their logo. I would buy that jersey.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Not sure. Their is a local baseball team called the Adirondack Heat. So a name change would make sense.

Myself, I'm hoping they call them the Flames and use the old Atlanta Flames flaming A as their logo. I would buy that jersey.

They are moving to Glen Falls not Adirondack. Unless they are the same place you are correct.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They are moving to Glen Falls not Adirondack. Unless they are the same place you are correct.
Adirondack is the region, there are 4 or 5 little towns in a small area. Much like how Abbotsford was in the Fraser Valley

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Really wish there was something else in Western Canada or North-Western US that could have been a better home for this team.
Abbotsford was a stupid idea in the first place, and just continued to be stupid until they terminated that contact (including all that tax-BS for a failing club). In addition; you don't put your farm right in one of your most hated rivals back yard.

With all the uncertainty of the Lethbridge Hurricanes, that would have been an absolutely great home for our Farm team. You'd get much more people in the door, that's still a Flames town; who would be absolutely excited to go watch guys like Poirier and even Gaudreau develop.

Hope this NY venture works, it probably won't... hope to see the Farm team back to somewhere I actually visit from time to time.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So are the Phamtoms, the Flyers AHL affiliate out?
Yeah, it's been known for over a year they were going to be moving to Allentown Pennsylvania at the conclusion of this season to play in their brand new arena the PPL Center as the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

Aug 3, 2010
Really wish there was something else in Western Canada or North-Western US that could have been a better home for this team.
Abbotsford was a stupid idea in the first place, and just continued to be stupid until they terminated that contact (including all that tax-BS for a failing club). In addition; you don't put your farm right in one of your most hated rivals back yard.

With all the uncertainty of the Lethbridge Hurricanes, that would have been an absolutely great home for our Farm team. You'd get much more people in the door, that's still a Flames town; who would be absolutely excited to go watch guys like Poirier and even Gaudreau develop.

Hope this NY venture works, it probably won't... hope to see the Farm team back to somewhere I actually visit from time to time.
This just in: Most farm teams are not close in proximity to their home club.

Stop treating it like a sideshow attraction to your favourite big league team and start treating it like a team that plays in a different league for different reasons, AKA development of youth. The more advantages the farm team are given (short travel time, relative proximity to the league core) the more the prospects can settle in and develop under coaching systems and fitness regimes as there is literally more time between games.

It's not whether this move is good for you, it's whether this move is good for the organization and it definitely is a big step in the right direction for positive development.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Stop treating it like a sideshow attraction to your favourite big league team and start treating it like a team that plays in a different league for different reasons, AKA development of youth. The more advantages the farm team are given (short travel time, relative proximity to the league core) the more the prospects can settle in and develop under coaching systems and fitness regimes as there is literally more time between games.

It's not whether this move is good for you, it's whether this move is good for the organization and it definitely is a big step in the right direction for positive development.
Completely agreed. I knew it was coming and was still pretty much devastated when the news broke. But I know its best for the organization and I am going to embrace the new team as I did the old.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Like that because I state my opinion I'm treating it like a sideshow. Great for you if you thought Abby was a good idea. Shows how right you are.

I want to see my teams prospects more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aug 3, 2010
Like that because I state my opinion I'm treating it like a sideshow. Great for you if you thought Abby was a good idea. Shows how right you are.

I want to see my teams prospects more.

Reading comprehension much? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Where did I say anything like that?

If you want to see them more, put your money where your mouth is. The AHL supports online streaming via a subscription service. Does it beat seeing them live? No, but once again, they're in a better location for overall prospect development by virtue of having more time in their home arena because of less travel around the league.

Better developed prospects = better for the Flames organization as a whole.

Not sure why this had to be spelled out for you... twice.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Reading comprehension much? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Where did I say anything like that?

If you want to see them more, put your money where your mouth is. The AHL supports online streaming via a subscription service. Does it beat seeing them live? No, but once again, they're in a better location for overall prospect development by virtue of having more time in their home arena because of less travel around the league.

Better developed prospects = better for the Flames organization as a whole.

Not sure why this had to be spelled out for you... twice.

Yeah. Too true.
Prospects need to be developed without travel. We know the best prospects come from places that find comfort when they can settle down. Give me a break; that means that this MacKinnon kid won't develop as well because he's not playing out east.

Nice random attack for someone who wants to watch their farm team live more though. Welcome to a club I have here.

Aug 3, 2010
Yeah. Too true.
Prospects need to be developed without travel. We know the best prospects come from places that find comfort when they can settle down. Give me a break; that means that this MacKinnon kid won't develop as well because he's not playing out east.

Nice random attack for someone who wants to watch their farm team live more though. Welcome to a club I have here.

Half the time I can barely make out what you're even trying to communicate. Where does a sure-fire first overall talent who clearly doesn't need more maturation in lesser development leagues like MacKinnon fit into a conversation like this? :laugh: Great strawman there.

If you don't think a player like Gaudreau (amongst others in the system) benefits by being on a team in a developmental league where he can gain more training time, then I don't know what to tell you other than repeating you are selfish for wanting to see them live in a venue nearby.

I'd rather see the prospects mature mentally and physically, and then see them live at the Saddledome with the big club because of their progress, instead of their developmental curve in the AHL. Abbotsford Heat might disagree ;) but he already has stated he knows it's for the best and he's pretty much the most devoted poster on our boards regarding the AHL Flames affiliate. I don't get what your deal is, Volica.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Half the time I can barely make out what you're even trying to communicate. Where does a sure-fire first overall talent who clearly doesn't need more maturation in lesser development leagues like MacKinnon fit into a conversation like this? :laugh: Great strawman there.

If you don't think a player like Gaudreau (amongst others in the system) benefits by being on a team in a developmental league where he can gain more training time, then I don't know what to tell you other than repeating you are selfish for wanting to see them live in a venue nearby.

I'd rather see the prospects mature mentally and physically, and then see them live at the Saddledome with the big club because of their progress, instead of their developmental curve in the AHL. Abbotsford Heat might disagree ;) but he already has stated he knows it's for the best and he's pretty much the most devoted poster on our boards regarding the AHL Flames affiliate. I don't get what your deal is, Volica.
It's also hilarious because I doubt he has ever seen a Heat game, with the exception of maybe the few that were on Sportsnet 360 at the end of the season. So I'm not sure what it matters since I believe it's unlikely that he has ever invested a penny in the Heat.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Yay. Another good thread gone down the crapperhole.

Let's gang up on Volica. Because he would have preferred that the Heat move to Lethbridge so he can see them play live. So what. I would have prefered Vegas. Heck, one poster made a pretty solid argument for Fort Mcmurray of all places. Stay classy HFFlames. I get a kick out of how some of you guys have mentioned that the reason that their is so little traffic here is because of CalgaryPuck..............

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
It's also hilarious because I doubt he has ever seen a Heat game, with the exception of maybe the few that were on Sportsnet 360 at the end of the season. So I'm not sure what it matters since I believe it's unlikely that he has ever invested a penny in the Heat.

So.............seeing as it is obviously OK to openly speculate how much Heat hockey another poster has watched or paid for I'll join in on this.

Abbotsford Heat. Go get ONE Heat ticket stub, put it in your scanner and lets have a look at it. I don't think you can.

JulianHopper*

I wonder if it was Brian Burke that made the call to finally move this team again. I'm sure it was as he is the president and was interim GM until recently.

Burke also travels extensively back east so I'm sure having the Flames in Abbotsford didn't make sense to him either just like it hasn't made sense to most Flames fans.

This is all on Ken King though, he may even have been fired because of it if Brian Burke wasn't here now and president of hockey operations.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
So.............seeing as it is obviously OK to openly speculate how much Heat hockey another poster has watched or paid for I'll join in on this.

Abbotsford Heat. Go get ONE Heat ticket stub, put it in your scanner and lets have a look at it. I don't think you can.

Can he use a camera phone, or is the scanner part really important to this experiment?

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Yay. Another good thread gone down the crapperhole.

Let's gang up on Volica. Because he would have preferred that the Heat move to Lethbridge so he can see them play live. So what. I would have prefered Vegas. Heck, one poster made a pretty solid argument for Fort Mcmurray of all places. Stay classy HFFlames. I get a kick out of how some of you guys have mentioned that the reason that their is so little traffic here is because of CalgaryPuck..............
I live in Lethbridge, and I would love to see Flames prospects have their home arena be a ten minute drive from where I live, but I also don't live in a fantasy world. Being out in Abbotsford gave the Heat the worst travel schedule in the league, considering the closest team to them (geographically) was in Milwaukee. The LA Kings farm team is in Manchester, New Hampshire, geographically close to almost every other team in the AHL. I would say that it is working out for LA quite well. If the AHL wasn't so central to the North East, maybe the Heat could be viable somewhere out west. But the real world doesn't work like that. By being in New York state, the new AHL affiliate for the Flames will get a better travel schedule, allowing them more training and practice time on home ice. It's a win-win situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad