Agree or Disagree? Kane vs Crosby & others

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Crosby wins the Hart trophy over Kane? - I agree. Kane has completely shut down and Sid is carrying the Pens minus Malkin. Unbelievable to think this was even possible and makes me sick to my stomach living here in Pittsburgh...

Kane reaches 100 points? - Can't see this happening either although one 3 point game might be even to drag him across the finish line...Another 'no-brainer" only a few short weeks ago.

Hoss gets his 500th this year? I "think" he will. Somehow I see him scoring a huge goal to help win a game down the stretch.

McDavid wins the Calder trophy? Lets face facts, EVERYONE outside of Chicago wants this kid to win it. He will be the "next" face of this league for years to come. Panarin had it in his back pocket a month ago but now... And all the pundits talk about McDavid having the second highest "points/game" (Kane) in the league.

Kane will hang on to become the first US born NHL scoring leader? Man I hope so...but there are times when I don't think he's going to get another point they way he and this team is playing.

What say ye?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Disagree. Kane's mediocrity in the last month or so doesn't come close to Sid's mediocrity at the start of the year.

Only those who have a short enough attention span to forget what Crosby did (or didn't do) in the first few months would vote for him (that and those who still view Kane as guilty).

If point totals were closer, sure. But there is a solid dozen separating these two at this time.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
McDavid wins the Calder trophy? Lets face facts, EVERYONE outside of Chicago wants this kid to win it. He will be the "next" face of this league for years to come. Panarin had it in his back pocket a month ago but now... And all the pundits talk about McDavid having the second highest "points/game" (Kane) in the league.

Actually Flyers Gostisbehere, "Ghost" is getting a lot of attention. He may just steal the Calder from Panarin.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
No issue with someone else getting the Calder, but no one will convince anyone but Kane deserves the Hart.

Amazingly the Pens may end up in 2nd place and have gone 9-1 with OUT Malkin and Crosby is on FIRE while the hawks are in 3rd and may end up fourth.

Add in Sid is Sid and Kane is American and still presumed to be guilty.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Amazingly the Pens may end up in 2nd place and have gone 9-1 with OUT Malkin and Crosby is on FIRE while the hawks are in 3rd and may end up fourth.

Let's call a spade a spade. Sid has raised his game at crunch time. Kane the opposite.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

The place of the team means squat. If Chicago was in PIT division, they are likely in 2nd as well.

And this award is for the entire season, and Kane is STILL beating Sid points wise. Yes, Side is producing now while Kane isn't, one could say raising his game in crunch time, someone else could say Kane doesn't have to because he helped put his team in a position where they don't have to play their hearts out to make the playoffs.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Let's call a spade a spade. Sid has raised his game at crunch time. Kane the opposite.

I agree here. To ME AA was (is) a big factor for that line and Kane & AP in particular in that he goes straight to the front of the net which creates more room for the wingers to operate as well as screens the goalie.

I think TT's game has greatly improved but with those 3 it's like they have to score off the rush and their cycle game is futile due to a lack of size of all 3.

And I get that this isn't the REAL crunch time but it IS as far as the hart goes.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Yes But it is not Crosby alone that 8s responsible for the PENS great improvement down the stretch. .It is moving Bonito to 2C when malkin went down with injury..we all know from prior history that Crosby plays better when Malkin is out with injury and vice versa ..Somehow when both are in tge lineup it is less effective
..Go figure. But we should ask ...if it were reversed and Crosby w.as out and Malkin went torrid in the last month and a bit ...would you then give Malkin the hart over a late slumping Kane who really has tailed off only in the last what is it 10-12 games?

Also as I said tge reason PITT has improved ate more to do with Trevor Daley...yes him..solidifying the Pens d-corps and Bonito subbing for Malkin st 2C which allows Kessel to "star" and produce big again..Think about it..Kessel
L stinks playing with Crosby or Malkin...aolidifyingtartinks in production. .but he now goes torrid w.ith Bonito at 2C..Why..cause Kessel stinks when his C's possess the puck lime Crosby and Malkin do. .Kessel is best when he has the puck possession himself
Lf and then a C like Bonito stays out of his way as he takes it to shoot but goes to the
net to screen and to distract the goalies and D..

SO you cannot say Crosby makes any player better...You cannot say Malkin does so either..They therefore cannot be in the Hart consideration.

You can conceive of the Pebd doing great..without Crosby..Malkin then takes line 1 and Bonito and Kessel still works as linchpin of line #2..

BUT ..ASK YOURSELF...where would tge Hawks be without Kane for Most of this season. ..nowhere..cause Hossa has aged off tge cliff.. Toews has Machu Picchu syndrome and a stinky year when he is softer on pucks and lazy more often ..and not a great generator of offense at all ..not making linemates better but rather the excuse given that he needs better help on his line.But Kane for Most of this season was the driver for tge Hawks piling up enough points that they still make the playoffs despite the mess and problems and falk-off of the team the last 2 and a half months but especially in March. .Kane only fell off at tge last 10-12 games of this bad stretch.

PLUS we know that if Q puts Kane with Toews up goes Toews pkay interest and production. IT always had before and it would again.

SO sorry Crosby Fails for his horrid 1st half and his failure to be effective with anyone except Limits. . SID needs to be his own story ..Kane does it himself but can make any line more productive offensively.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
BTW ..not Crosby destroying Nashville tonight ..it's Kessel and Boninno again .They are en fuego.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Kane always slides in production in the 2nd half.

I could see an argument for Crosby, even before taking whatever biases Kane's off-ice problem throws into the equation. I still think Kane gets it at the end of the day.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Kane was unequivocally the best player in the league for the first 60 games this year. Kane and his line carried the Hawks offensively almost singlehandedly. Now he's cooled off to just being a very good player.

A good, very good post all star break for Sid doesn't wash away his lackluster play for most of the year

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Crosby wins the Hart trophy over Kane? - I agree. Kane has completely shut down and Sid is carrying the Pens minus Malkin. Unbelievable to think this was even possible and makes me sick to my stomach living here in Pittsburgh...

So Kane carried the team the entire first half of the season and then some (along with Crawford), but somehow that is discounted because Crosby has carried his team more recently and for a shorter period of time?

Recency bias at its finest.

STC

Oct 29, 2012

This is even dumber than your first post.

Who other than a small group of morons and tinfoil hat wearers still think Kane is guilty?

Probably the same 5 people who still think Duke LaCrosse did it.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I think Kane gets the Hart, but certainly more narrowly than it seemed at the beginning of the year. You could make a compelling case for several other players.

In terms of Calder, I highly doubt Panarin gets it. He'll be a finalist, but it's McDavid's or Gostisbehere's.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
I think Kane gets the Hart, but certainly more narrowly than it seemed at the beginning of the year. You could make a compelling case for several other players.

In terms of Calder, I highly doubt Panarin gets it. He'll be a finalist, but it's McDavid's or Gostisbehere's.

Panarin is in top 15 IN THE LEAGUE in scoring as a rookie. In a league that points are stupidly hard to come by. Heck he's only a couple points behind Kopitar.

This award should be his in a walk.

Ask yourself one question; If Panarin's and McDavids season were in exact reverse would Panarin have a snow balls chance in hell of winning the Calder?

Answer: He would not have a prayer.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Panarin is in top 15 IN THE LEAGUE in scoring as a rookie. In a league that points are stupidly hard to come by. Heck he's only a couple points behind Kopitar.

This award should be his in a walk.

Ask yourself one question; If Panarin's and McDavids season were in exact reverse would Panarin have a snow balls chance in hell of winning the Calder?

Answer: He would not have a prayer.

You also have to understand that Panarin's 24 and has the leading point-scorer in the League on his line. Yeah, his production is fantastic, but McDavid has 45 points in 42 games. Which is literally insane.

You can also make the argument for Gostisbehere, though. It's a toss-up but McDavid's chances are looking good.

Hawks And More Hawks

Mar 4, 2016
As it stands, Panarin has more points than Tarasenko, Backstrom, Ovechkin, Giroux, Stamkos, and Tavares...among others.

I like McJesus. I really do. The kid has a heck of a future. He's going to burn down many, many villages. He's just going to have to do it without a Calder trophy.

Last edited:

starsfan71

Jan 26, 2016
Dallas, Tx
Jamie Benn deserves the Hart since he is the best player in the NHL and has willed his team to be the best in the west.

Last edited:

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
As it stands, Panarin has more points than Tarasenko, Backstrom, Ovechkin, Giroux, Stamkos, and Tavares...among others.

I like McJesus. I really do. The kid has a heck of a future. He's going to burn down many, many villages. He's just going to have to do it without a Calder trophy.

Right, but McDavid's scoring at over a point a game pace, and he's 19. In today's game, that's almost unheard of. Hell, even 24-year-old Panarin isn't doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00