Boston Bruins After 1/3 of the Season...

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Before the season, I thought the Bruins would battle with TB for 1st seed in the division.

TB is atop of the conference and playing awesome this year. Bruins beat them tough.

The fact that the Bruins are in 3rd in the division with games in hands on everyone with all the key injuries they had and plenty of ELC stepping in should put Cassidy ahead for the Jack Adams right now.

Now that the team is getting healthy, there is a lot of skills in this lineup.

Rask is in Vezina form lately and the W are pilling up after a rough start.

Look out East. The Bruins are coming.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Danton Heinen reminds me of the man in my avatar. So smart, seemingly always in the right place at the right time.

Better hands, I'll give #43 that.

Reactions: northeastern

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
The team is where I thought they would be middle seeded playoff team. I think we might see them win a round this year. I think we will see the youth on this team take a big leap next year and we will be contenders in 2. Love our coach. Love our drafting and developing hate that we can't play them all.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I find them incredibly frustrating. They could easily be legitimate contenders by getting rid of some of the falling prospects like Senyshyn or Zboril before they become anchors and adding a top six forward and some grit to the lower lines. Sadly I have zero faith in Sweeney's ability to do anything right and would be terrified of any trade he tried to make

Dude, seriously....read what you wrote.

"... could easily become contenders by getting rid of the falling prospects "

Ok. So a team with a valuable piece to help push another team into a contender would take on " falling prospects " who will become " anchors " because.....why?

And how the f*** is a prospect an anchor? Do you even know what that means?

This is garbage.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Before the season, I thought the Bruins would battle with TB for 1st seed in the division.

The fact that the Bruins are in 3rd in the division with games in hands on everyone with all the key injuries they had and plenty of ELC stepping in should put Cassidy ahead for the Jack Adams right now.

Now that the team is getting healthy, there is a lot of skills in this lineup.

Rask is in Vezina form lately and the W are pilling up after a rough start.

It would be tough to make a case for anyone other than Gerard Gallant for the coach of the year at this point.

Reactions: xStanleyCupsFor

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I find them incredibly frustrating. They could easily be legitimate contenders by getting rid of some of the falling prospects like Senyshyn or Zboril before they become anchors and adding a top six forward and some grit to the lower lines. Sadly I have zero faith in Sweeney's ability to do anything right and would be terrified of any trade he tried to make
Agreed. I think we just need a couple gritty guys to replace duds like Vatrano and Schaller. I know Schaller has his fans for some reason, but how many penalty killers do we need? This team has been fascinated with these kind of guys for years now.
There has to be some way to get Anaheim to take Belesky back and get some toughness from them in return.

Good post by the OP. I think Debrusk is better than Heinen, but I like them both.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

Ok. So a team with a valuable piece to help push another team into a contender would take on " falling prospects " who will become " anchors " because.....why?

And how the **** is a prospect an anchor? Do you even know what that means?

This is garbage.
Why does his post have to be referred to as garbage.

Also, a guy who has "formaly" instead of "formerly" in his signature asking someone if he knows what something means is absolutely hilarious.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Agreed. I think we just need a couple gritty guys to replace duds like Vatrano and Schaller. I know Schaller has his fans for some reason, but how many penalty killers do we need? This team has been fascinated with these kind of guys for years now.
There has to be some way to get Anaheim to take Belesky back and get some toughness from them in return.

Good post by the OP. I think Debrusk is better than Heinen, but I like them both.

No way.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

And how the **** is a prospect an anchor? Do you even know what that means?

This is garbage.

Unload them while you still can, go to a team out of contention looking for prospects and move Zboril, Senyshyn and Gabrielle, a guy I had high hope for but looks like the second coming of Anthony Camera.

Zach Senyshyn 3 goals in 23 games. He is suppose to be a goal scorer. Those are not goal scorer numbers at any level at any time.

Jesse Gabrielle 1 goal 4 Pims in 17 games. At this point those numbers would indicate being back in jrs as an overage player or the ECHL.

Find me a scout right now outside the Bruins organization that is high on Zboril.

Right now you may be able to package some of these guys up for legitimate NHL players before they are stuck with having more Hamils and Carons on their hands and unable to move them.

While I believe you should let players develop and not rush them you have to look at what they are doing and project it forward. How many goal scoring wingers have started like Senyshyn? How many impact D like Zboril with 3 assists in 20+ games in the minors?

I said all along they had Epstein syndrome of over valuing their prospects and needed to start moving some before it was too late. I was wrong on Heinen, let's see where Senyshyn and Zboril are in 5 years while Brazal and Chabot are making impacts

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Unload them while you still can, go to a team out of contention looking for prospects and move Zboril, Senyshyn and Gabrielle, a guy I had high hope for but looks like the second coming of Anthony Camera.

Zach Senyshyn 3 goals in 23 games. He is suppose to be a goal scorer. Those are not goal scorer numbers at any level at any time.

Jesse Gabrielle 1 goal 4 Pims in 17 games. At this point those numbers would indicate being back in jrs as an overage player or the ECHL.

Find me a scout right now outside the Bruins organization that is high on Zboril.

Right now you may be able to package some of these guys up for legitimate NHL players before they are stuck with having more Hamils and Carons on their hands and unable to move them.

While I believe you should let players develop and not rush them you have to look at what they are doing and project it forward. How many goal scoring wingers have started like Senyshyn? How many impact D like Zboril with 3 assists in 20+ games in the minors?

I said all along they had Epstein syndrome of over valuing their prospects and needed to start moving some before it was too late. I was wrong on Heinen, let's see where Senyshyn and Zboril are in 5 years while Brazal and Chabot are making impacts
I have to agree that Zboril, Senyshen and Gabrielle look like whiffs at this point.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I have to agree that Zboril, Senyshen and Gabrielle look like whiffs at this point.

I bet you haven’t seen one second of these guys in Providence. Just saw some numbers and that’s it. You got zero idea how much better both kids have progressed from game 1 to game 20 so far. Heinen and Debrusk took the same path and both are helping big time towards our winning ways.

This team is in a better spot right now then it was. The kids up here are showing the ways they bring these kids along is right. Busts? Whiffs? Your post sir is a whiff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
His contract.

His play.
Agree that both his contract and play are bad. However there has to be a bad contract on Anaheim somewhere. I doubt we have the only incompetent GM in the league.

I just think he was highly thought of while he was there and is still on the right side of 30. I think they're the only team that would have any interest. There has to be a way if Savard could be traded.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
2 months down and 4 to go but everything is breaking in the Bruins favor

What is odd as they have only played 4 games in the division but they have held their own against the west especially compared to Montreal.
In any event Montreal appears to be the only team the Bruins have to watch - Detroit is what we thought they were, Florida is going nowhere and Ottawa has imploded since the trade.

I think this might be the last year of this playoff format as a decent team in the Metro will not even make the playoffs and the #2/#3 will meet in the first round.

upload_2017-12-10_22-9-20.png

upload_2017-12-10_22-14-46.png

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Um, these 3 are roughly 2 months into their pro careers. Little bit early to declare them as guys who will never make it.

Gabrielle was a 4th round pick. Although it's funny looking back as some posters here had him penciled in to make the NHL this season prior to training camp, and he's struggling to stay in the line-up down in Providence. It's early, but if he never makes it, well that's usually the outcome for most 4th round picks.

Senyshyn is about at the same point as Debrusk was this time last season. I don't expect to see him in Boston this year. Give him another off-season and he probably challenges for a job next year, just misses the cut, but comes back up as a recall and shows he can play at that level. I can easily see him in Boston full-time out of camp in 2019-20, so long-term I think he'll be fine.

Zboril I have concerns about based on my limited viewings of him at the WJC and Juniors. Has great natural tools, I question does he have the tool-box. The good news his flaws are coachable, and if he spends the full 3 years of his ELC in Providence improving and getting better before making the Boston roster, so be it. No reason for them to rush this kid.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Agree that both his contract and play are bad. However there has to be a bad contract on Anaheim somewhere. I doubt we have the only incompetent GM in the league.

I just think he was highly thought of while he was there and is still on the right side of 30. I think they're the only team that would have any interest. There has to be a way if Savard could be traded.
Anaheim is a favourite to win when healthy, no question. Belesky is a playoff performer so maybe they could entertain a move for him.

On the other hand, injuries will happen and this guy could be worth his weight in gold come playoff time. I keep him unless something obvious happens.

It's amazing how quickly a players role can be dismissed. Look no further than Nash and Backes who have become huge for us recently. Especially Nash.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Um, these 3 are roughly 2 months into their pro careers. Little bit early to declare them as guys who will never make it.

Gabrielle was a 4th round pick. Although it's funny looking back as some posters here had him penciled in to make the NHL this season prior to training camp, and he's struggling to stay in the line-up down in Providence. It's early, but if he never makes it, well that's usually the outcome for most 4th round picks.

Senyshyn is about at the same point as Debrusk was this time last season. I don't expect to see him in Boston this year. Give him another off-season and he probably challenges for a job next year, just misses the cut, but comes back up as a recall and shows he can play at that level. I can easily see him in Boston full-time out of camp in 2019-20, so long-term I think he'll be fine.

Zboril I have concerns about based on my limited viewings of him at the WJC and Juniors. Has great natural tools, I question does he have the tool-box. The good news his flaws are coachable, and if he spends the full 3 years of his ELC in Providence improving and getting better before making the Boston roster, so be it. No reason for them to rush this kid.

Zboril has improved his game, he's more of a sure thing and has a higher ceiling than senyshyn at this point in time

I hope Gabrielle can turn it around, he's got the make up to be a great player in a bottom 6 role

Senyshyn I realllllly hope become a 30 goal power forward, because Barzal looks like a franchise center at the moment

Reactions: Estlin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Zboril has improved his game, he's more of a sure thing and has a higher ceiling than senyshyn at this point in time

I hope Gabrielle can turn it around, he's got the make up to be a great player in a bottom 6 role

Senyshyn I realllllly hope become a 30 goal power forward, because Barzal looks like a franchise center at the moment

He's always had a higher ceiling than Senyshyn.

But even though he's improved, playing D at the NHL level is much harder than playing wing. If he's a sure thing than he must of improved 10 fold since last year, where he was terrible in the WJC, and poor in the Memorial Cup.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
He's always had a higher ceiling than Senyshyn.

But even though he's improved, playing D at the NHL level is much harder than playing wing. If he's a sure thing than he must of improved 10 fold since last year, where he was terrible in the WJC, and poor in the Memorial Cup.

He has improved, his play in the ahl right now is solid, which is all that matters at this point

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

From the same draft: Jake DeBrusk had 4 goals in his first 27 AHL games. Kyle Connor, 5 goals in his first 21 AHL games. These two kids are currently doing well in the NHL.

Torey Krug: Impact dman in the NHL. 6 points in his first 23 games in the AHL.

To give up on kids at the ripe age of 20 is asinine. Will the Bruins hit on all of their prospects? Obviously not. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Pretty much agree with the OP. Healthy DK and production from Backes is key if we get that our forward group is loaded. People forget the 4th liners that get crapped on on here were our best players in the playoffs last year. Scored the most too.

The other key is Carlo taking the next step. That happens this year we don't need to add to the D. If he can carry Krug defensively (the two together has been a mixed bag so far) the blue line looks good. Chara-McAvoy isn't far off what we had 2011-2013 with Chara and Seids.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
There were a few of us on here me included that thought Beleskey would get back to where he was at least two yrs a go this year but at this point the only way to ever possibly get rid of him is if a team needs to hit the minimum cap. His trade value is lower than zero. You would have to give them something else to take him.

We have had multiple injuries and he still struggled to get in to a very very depleted line up but you guys think a playoff team wants him .

I am sorry but comparing Nash a guy who has been not dressed I believe one game since he has been here and backes never is way off . I know people hate Hayes but I will take his play last yr any day of the week over him . I get Beleskey will fight and is obviously a great team guy and guy in general but his on ice use is very very very low. We would be way better off with a goon than him because the play is close but the goon would calm the other team down more .

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Yeah, I'm not worried about Zboril or Debrusk, but if Senysyhyn doesn't become a top-six forward who can pot at least 20-25 goals a season and Barazal continues to excel, then it will look very bad on Boston for not drafting him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad