Aew Hiring

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
As we all know Aew has hired lots of wrestlers who worked in Wwe. Imo things have gotten pretty crowded on that roster. Who do yall think Aew should have not signed from Wwe? Does anybody think that every signing was right?

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Without checking how AEW's roster compares to WWE in size Their, I think the AEW roster seems huge. They shouldn't just hire every ex-WWE guy like TNA was doing. But absolutely they should sign CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Bray Wyatt.

I'd also sign Tyler Breeze and Fandango. I'd also sign Strowman, Erick Rowan and Bo Dallas but only if you get Wyatt. Redo the Wyatt Family properly.

I also like Tony Nese but I think he'd get lost in AEW.

I don't know much about them but I don't see Ever Rise bringing anything to the table. Same with Big Show and Mark Henry.

I do like the Christian signing and he can still wrestle. Other signings I like: Andrade and Black.

Reactions: Kaner9

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The number of ex-WWE guys they have been bringing in is concerning, but also the guys WWE are releasing are too good to not be there.

You statement is kind of contradictory. How is the number of ex-WWE guys "concerning" considering that the ones that they ARE signing are too good not to be signed.

Plenty of useless guys to fire/not extend. Janela, Sunny Kiss, Luther and plenty of others that we only see on YouTube can easily be let go and replaced by local indy guys from where the show is taped. Heck, now that they have another TV show to promote their upper-card talent, they can easily cut one of the YouTube shows and fire some of the useless guys. I mean, an ex-WWE guy like Spears could be fired also and guys of his level should not be hired. That, I agree with. But he is the only case, IMO (the Good Brothers, but they are not contracted to AEW and should not be). Where the talent is from is not problematic as long as it is the right talent. If you can get your hands on guys like Bray Wyatt and Adam Cole, you do it.

You need the best talent you can get and it does not matter where this talent is from. AEW has been good at building stars (Darby, Jungle Boy, MJF, Sammy Guevara and Hangman). I am sure they will continue to do so and use the established talent that they have to help those new star getting over... just like they have done before.

If they were doing like WWE and bringing back dinosaurs all the time, I would be concerned. Out of the older guys that they have under contract, only Christian is a full-time wrestler and he is not used as a tippy top guy; he floats around and can step in the main event scene when needed. The others have "side" roles and are used to put newer talent over. Guys like Moxley, Pac, Miro, Andrade and Black are in their prime and SUPER over. FTR are the best team in the World (much better than the Bucks). Punk and Danielson are HUGE names who are two of the last real needle-movers WWE had. Cody remade himself on the indies before being part of the group that founded AEW. Heck, he could go and I would not mind. Loved him for the first six months, but he has been VERY bad since losing the title to Darby. Before that, he had the best programs/stories most often than not. Dustin has been more than fine in his role.

Also, they have plenty of non-WWE stars. Omega, Penta, Fenix, Kingston and the 5 young guys I mentioned before. All main event caliber talent, none of them from WWE. Guys like Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page could be used much better. Powerhouse Hobbs has a lot of potential. Ricky Starks is gold. Guys like Archer and Brian Cage have a good look and can perform. And then you have teams like the Bucks and Pride and Powerful who can easily headline a main event tag team program.

It would be a problem if AEW was signing bums like Strowman, but the guys they signed, outside of Spears, all fit their core identity.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
My take on the former WWE guys, in no particular order:

Miro: I have to say I watched VERY little to no WWE for the past 10+ years and likely longer. Kind of understood the Miro thing but was never bowled over by him. I have to say that his intensity and physicality impresses me and I think he's a good heel. I didn't think he'd be a great signing, but so far I like what I'm seeing. Even think he's better in the ring than I'd imagined.

Moxley: Never thought The Shield was cool, but again didn't watch much. Like the idea of him on his own and sort of who his character is. I also love the use of "Wild Thing". Of late though he's not been as entertaining, but still a talent that if they book him right is great to have and should be part of the top tier.

Pac: Incredible wrestler and can cut a promo too. I didn't see him in WWE really but I can only imagine they didn't utilize him properly. AEW can get more out of him, but generally I like the way they're using him right now.

Billy Gunn: I'm OK with him. Kind of cool they pair him with his sons. Guys like him and Dustin could get good booking with the right storyline, something along the lines of one final run or they're past it. Apart from that though keep him with his boys and have them on Dark or Dark Elevation at best. Might be interesting to have him or his sons turn on the other.

Christian: Meh. I've always liked him and he can still go, but not liking the booking too much. Definitely shouldn't be challenging Omega if you ask me unless it's a one off. That brings me to again mention how AEW needs to extend some of it's feuds and have make sure that talent is all on the right level of the card. Have to be careful with that latter part, but too much jumping around.

Jericho: Slam dunk. Once again was able to evolve into a new character. Curious what they'll do when the MJF feud is finally over.

Chavo: Unnecessary. Not bad, but not really necessary.

Vicky Guerrero: Pleasantly surprised. I think she has a role to play in the women's division and she's playing it. Glad they didn't have her with Andrade though.

Andrade: A talent to be sure and a talent to be signed. We'll see how his character evolves though. I like the storyline now but still wondering how it ends.

Cody: Franchise level talent if you ask me, but he's been poorly used for over a year.

Aleister Black: Really don't know him that well, but seems like a good signing. Could see him feuding with Pac or even partnering with Pac. Not sure if they crossed paths in WWE though.

FTR: Or whatever they're called. Should have made more of their feud with the Bucks. They should be in AEW and a top team in a pretty deep tag division.

Hager: I'm not a fan. Guy doesn't bring much to the table for me.

Big Show: He's not great on commentary, but could see him used limited in the ring.

Sting: I'm fine with him so far. Partnering him with Darby makes sense, but for how long? Plenty of potential options with Sting and I'd like to see him in more matches.

One final thing I will say about the veterans, I think their presence generally is a good thing and they can really help the younger guys along.

Reactions: Habsrule and Kaner9

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Hager sucks, but his usage in AEW is fine.

He is the muscle for a group of guys that are all bigger stars than he is. He should not have gone over Wardlow though.

I would be fine with him leaving.

I totally forgot about Billy Gunn. I think he is mostly there as a trainer and an agent.

Vickie and Chavo are there as managers and are doing fine. I could do without them and not lose anything though. Andrade does need a mouthpiece though, he is impossible to understand when he speaks English.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
At some point they need to realize they have 2 titles, and like 100 guys all deserving of being a champ. How they navigate that will be interesting, but so far the direction they have taken with Hangman, a "homegrown" talent, to push through the new signings doesn't bode well.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
At some point they need to realize they have 2 titles, and like 100 guys all deserving of being a champ. How they navigate that will be interesting, but so far the direction they have taken with Hangman, a "homegrown" talent, to push through the new signings doesn't bode well.

Yeah, that I agree with.

Hangman was uber hot and they are cooling down to introduce the two mega stars they have signed.

They definitely SHOULD pull the trigger on him before he loses steam AND before Omega has champion becomes to stale (it has mostly been from the start, but Omega is great so he can get a lot of heat). However, do you pull the trigger in Chicago? You can't. People will be there for Punk vs whoever he faces. It would take away from Hangman's moment.

You do have to do it soon though.

To me, in this day and age, titles are not what matter the most. They do matter and you need every top wrestler to aspire to be a champion, but real stars do not need the title. You can build plenty of personal stories between the top guys and have then screw each other out of opportunities and shuffle people in and out of the title picture. Have meaningful reign and make being THE champion a VERY VERY VERY tough achievement.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm going to borrow the format used by my esteemed colleague, because even a broken clock is right twice a day. There are certainly signings that you have to make because they are too valuable or too talented not to get. The problem with AEW is that it seems to sign almost anybody who is available. That isn't the case exactly, but it gives that impression and makes the company look desperate. There are also diminishing returns when a roster that is already big enough keeps bringing in old WWE wrestlers.

Miro: Bad signing. He isn't all that good and plenty of AEW's own guys could have filled his spot. Looks like a signing where they were just happy to get a WWE castoff. AEW should sign ex-WWE guys who are main eventers or young guys with talent. Miro is neither.

Moxley: Good signing. I haven't liked his work in AEW so far but he's shown talent before and he brought some excitement. He's a credible guy for the top of the card.

Pac: Good signing. Really good wrestler who WWE underutilized.

Billy Gunn: Bad signing. Reeks of a guy conning them to get a few more paycheques. If he's a trainer that's fine I guess (though I doubt that Mr. Ass has a ton of wisdom to impart) but keep him off TV. He's a relic and was never good. Classic WWE washout.

Christian: Good signing. I wouldn't like it with how many WWE guys preceded him and his age, but Christian is one of my favourites. He's still a great talker, passable in the ring, and a guy that WWE consistently underutilized for his whole career.

Jericho: Good signing. Pretty obvious.

Chavo: Bad signing. Chavo was never good and he's ancient now. No fan has ever tuned in to a wrestling show to see Chavo Guerrero jr. and he brings in that "desperate for WWE guys" stink.

Vicky Guerrero: Acceptable. Vicky is just a great heel and AEW needs heels.

Andrade: Good signing. Very talented but still needs some polishing.

Cody: Good signingish. He helped create the company so it isn't a signing really but definitely important. I wish they had someone editing him more but I am a Cody Rhodes fan from way back.

Aleister Black: Bad Signing. I simply don't think that he's very good. People have convinced themselves that he is but I do not expect anything good.

FTR: Good signing. Really good signing. Haven't liked their usage but that doesn't mean that the signing was bad. Probably the best tag team in wrestling even if they are never presented as such.

Hager: Bad signing. He's always sucked and his signing was beyond unnecessary. Anyone with size can fill his role, and it would look better if it wasn't someone who sucked for years in WWE.

Big Show: Bad signing. Even if he doesn't wrestle he's beyond washed up and didn't bring much in the first place. Just another old WWE guy hanging around getting a paycheque. The less he is on TV the better.

Sting: Bad signing. I'd rate this a 4/10 rather than a 1/10 (Hager) so it isn't the worst, but the guy is over 60 years old and was never a talker. Doesn't hurt and he doesn't really bring in WWE stink (only Cody living out his WCW fantasy stink) so it's more of a "why bother" for me. Not really a WWE guy in my eyes, though he was there. I also dislike the laziness of putting him with Allin.

Tazz: Bad signing. Tazz hasn't even been decent since he was in ECW a whopping 22 years ago. AEW has better managers who are now old wrestlers.

Arn Anderson: Good signing. He brings value backstage and can talk. There are also plenty of guys he can conceivably manage.

Tully Blanchard: He's my boy, I can't hate it. Still a good talker at least. Really not a WWE guy either, despite his short run in the 80s.

Dustin Rhodes: Good signing. Good only because of how he fits with Cody Rhodes. He's also been solid, especially early in AEW.

Jim Ross: Good signing. He's still a decent announcer and is a good counterbalance to some of what goes on in AEW. They should probably be transitioning away from him soon though. Should be a two person announce team.

Tony Schiavone: Good signing. He' my favourite announcer ever and can still do the job well. Schiavone and Excalibur would be fine.

Spears: Bad signing. The worst signing. He's awful and it made the company look stupid/desperate for bringing in a WWE jobber who has the talent of a jobber. One of those signings where if someone defended it, you just knew that they would defend anything their company of choice did.

Matt Hardy: Bad signing. I like Matt Hardy but he's been around the block too much. He should be in Impact if he's anywhere.

Mark Henry: Bad signing. Acceptable if he's off TV but if he ends up on TV he is just another former WWE wrestler getting paid. I like Matt Hardy but there isn't really any meat left on the bone.

Brodie Lee: Good signing. He was better than he was used in WWE and came in before the roster was getting bloated with WWE guys.

Sydal: Good signing. Good as in "not bad" more than anything else. He comes off more like an indy guy than former WWE to me and he's still decent.

Justin Roberts: Bad signing. There are so many other people they could have hired rather than bringing in another former WWE guy who no one could possibly care about.

CM Punk: Good signing. The man is an all timer and probably still has some tread on the tire. Even if he turns out to be pitiful in the ring his mouth still works, and that's more than good enough. Stories of him dealing with AEW people backstage could also end up great.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The roster is loaded. One of those "good problems" to have I suppose. Hopefully adding another show with Rampage helps to get some more talent some meaningful TV time. It's no wonder why they have so many trios/tag team matches every week, they're just trying to get their guys some exposure.

I can't comment on the signings overall, since I'm not backstage and I don't know what sort of influence certain guys have on others. For all I know, Sting might be the guy in Darby's ear every week pushing him along and hyping him up. However, the usage so far of the veterans and WWE castoffs has been largely very good.

We can complain about the Nakazawas, Cutlers, Spears, Avalons of AEW, but they are there for a reason. Not everybody can go over. Enhancement talent is absolutely required, and they've used theirs well in AEW thus far.

Reactions: Apex Predator

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I think I'm in the minority here but I'd like to see them sign Ric Flair assuming he can be a manager and can still cut killer promos. Like his role in TNA but no wrestling of course. I think it's possible since they signed guys like Sting, Arn Anderson and Jake Roberts.

Reactions: Kaner9 and Habsrule

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My comment was contradictory because it two competing goals that aren’t conducive to each other. I know Kenny has said their lack of development system concerns him, and they do work with their guys who have schools (basically why QT is even there at all). But they also can’t be in the rhythm of relying on WWE cutting guys. There is much better management and much better talent but that is also exactly what TNA did. AEW’s ratings are great in context to WWE, but they’re still not that far removed from where TNA was. Not that I think they’re being TNA, ultimately your product and booking will speak for themselves.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think I'm in the minority here but I'd like to see them sign Ric Flair assuming he can be a manager and can still cut killer promos. Like his role in TNA but no wrestling of course. I think it's possible since they signed guys like Sting, Arn Anderson and Jake Roberts.

Short term, and only if they can poach Jay Lethal for a quick one/two week feud.

I've been mostly very pleased with the TV usage of Sting, AA, and Roberts. I have no doubts they could pull it off with Flair as well. I just have a strong feeling that Flair is gonna want a match though. Seeing Sting in a couple matches, even though he's been mostly protected in some way shape or form, is enough for me.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think Ric will want matches. I don’t know that but I don’t think he will. And I don’t think they’ll want to. Unlike WWE, AEW doesn’t bring in legends and humiliate them

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I don’t think Ric will want matches. I don’t know that but I don’t think he will. And I don’t think they’ll want to. Unlike WWE, AEW doesn’t bring in legends and humiliate them

True. They put DDP in a match and gave him a hot tag with a quick 1 minute fire to burn. Sting has mostly been in tag matches with his partner doing most of the work, although I remember him in a match at Dailys Place that was WAY more physical than I expected. I just forget the opponent. Now Sting is about to be in another tag match, and it's a tornado, which I absolutely love and wish they'd do them more.

For the most part, AEW has "done right" by their wrestlers, and the fans for that matter.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Ric Flair should not wrestle. Hiring him as an ambassador and put it on TV with Andrade from time to time. Maybe something with the other Horsemen to create a cool moment. But that's it.

Nobody needs to see 70-year-old Ric Flair having a match.

Reactions: CreamOfTheCrop

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I don't Flair can have a match even if he wants to. He's over 70 and has had bad health recently. I remember Orton only punting him last year because I doubt he could handle a proper worked attack or an RKO.

Can't think of who he would manage. Andrade I guess but I don't like this idea that if there's a real life relationship, that has to be a part of the story. It did serious damage to Seth Rollins that I still don't think he's recovered from.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I swear if Aew hired Shawn Stasiak ppl online would defend it :laugh: I respect the support fans give their show tho.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
My take on the former WWE guys, in no particular order:

Miro: I have to say I watched VERY little to no WWE for the past 10+ years and likely longer. Kind of understood the Miro thing but was never bowled over by him. I have to say that his intensity and physicality impresses me and I think he's a good heel. I didn't think he'd be a great signing, but so far I like what I'm seeing. Even think he's better in the ring than I'd imagined.

Moxley: Never thought The Shield was cool, but again didn't watch much. Like the idea of him on his own and sort of who his character is. I also love the use of "Wild Thing". Of late though he's not been as entertaining, but still a talent that if they book him right is great to have and should be part of the top tier.

Pac: Incredible wrestler and can cut a promo too. I didn't see him in WWE really but I can only imagine they didn't utilize him properly. AEW can get more out of him, but generally I like the way they're using him right now.

Billy Gunn: I'm OK with him. Kind of cool they pair him with his sons. Guys like him and Dustin could get good booking with the right storyline, something along the lines of one final run or they're past it. Apart from that though keep him with his boys and have them on Dark or Dark Elevation at best. Might be interesting to have him or his sons turn on the other.

Christian: Meh. I've always liked him and he can still go, but not liking the booking too much. Definitely shouldn't be challenging Omega if you ask me unless it's a one off. That brings me to again mention how AEW needs to extend some of it's feuds and have make sure that talent is all on the right level of the card. Have to be careful with that latter part, but too much jumping around.

Jericho: Slam dunk. Once again was able to evolve into a new character. Curious what they'll do when the MJF feud is finally over.

Chavo: Unnecessary. Not bad, but not really necessary.

Vicky Guerrero: Pleasantly surprised. I think she has a role to play in the women's division and she's playing it. Glad they didn't have her with Andrade though.

Andrade: A talent to be sure and a talent to be signed. We'll see how his character evolves though. I like the storyline now but still wondering how it ends.

Cody: Franchise level talent if you ask me, but he's been poorly used for over a year.

Aleister Black: Really don't know him that well, but seems like a good signing. Could see him feuding with Pac or even partnering with Pac. Not sure if they crossed paths in WWE though.

FTR: Or whatever they're called. Should have made more of their feud with the Bucks. They should be in AEW and a top team in a pretty deep tag division.

Hager: I'm not a fan. Guy doesn't bring much to the table for me.

Big Show: He's not great on commentary, but could see him used limited in the ring.

Sting: I'm fine with him so far. Partnering him with Darby makes sense, but for how long? Plenty of potential options with Sting and I'd like to see him in more matches.

One final thing I will say about the veterans, I think their presence generally is a good thing and they can really help the younger guys along.

Great list here. AEW has signed some WWE guys, but they have mostly been legends, upper card guys, or elite talent guys. The only mid card kind of guys with no main event potential that I can think of that they signed is Ty Dillinger/Shawn Spears and Jake Hager. If you look at it, you can categorize the signings as:

World Class Talent - Andrade, PAC, Aleistair Black, FTR,
Name Value - Jericho, Show, Christian, Henry, Billy Gunn, Sting. Cody, Miro, Moxley
The only logical reason to sign any of the recent WWE releases would be if any fit into either of these molds, so Bray Wyatt and Braun Strowman for "name value" and Buddy Murphy as a potential "World Class Talent". The rest I think will need to prove it in other areas before AEW considers them to heavily. The only outlier to this is the women, as AEW could still use some help building their women's roster in my opinion.

Reactions: les Habs

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm going to borrow the format used by my esteemed colleague, because even a broken clock is right twice a day. There are certainly signings that you have to make because they are too valuable or too talented not to get. The problem with AEW is that it seems to sign almost anybody who is available. That isn't the case exactly, but it gives that impression and makes the company look desperate. There are also diminishing returns when a roster that is already big enough keeps bringing in old WWE wrestlers.

Miro: Bad signing. He isn't all that good and plenty of AEW's own guys could have filled his spot. Looks like a signing where they were just happy to get a WWE castoff. AEW should sign ex-WWE guys who are main eventers or young guys with talent. Miro is neither. Disagree. Miro is really good, and despite a weak start with AEW, he has come on strong. He has main event potential if he lets himself get there.

Moxley: Good signing. I haven't liked his work in AEW so far but he's shown talent before and he brought some excitement. He's a credible guy for the top of the card.

Billy Gunn: Bad signing. Reeks of a guy conning them to get a few more paycheques. If he's a trainer that's fine I guess (though I doubt that Mr. Ass has a ton of wisdom to impart) but keep him off TV. He's a relic and was never good. Classic WWE washout. Shouldn't be on TV, but has a decent mind for the business. Can certainly help younger guys with tag team work.

Christian: Good signing. I wouldn't like it with how many WWE guys preceded him and his age, but Christian is one of my favourites. He's still a great talker, passable in the ring, and a guy that WWE consistently underutilized for his whole career.

Chavo: Bad signing. Chavo was never good and he's ancient now. No fan has ever tuned in to a wrestling show to see Chavo Guerrero jr. and he brings in that "desperate for WWE guys" stink. Chavo has spent way more time outside of WWE than in it, and he has Hollywood connections, if AEW chooses to use them. He has always been considered a good trainer, so having him around to help younger guys is valuable. Having him on screen...is not.

Vicky Guerrero: Acceptable. Vicky is just a great heel and AEW needs heels. Vickie makes me turn the channel. She isn't entertaining.

Cody: Good signingish. He helped create the company so it isn't a signing really but definitely important. I wish they had someone editing him more but I am a Cody Rhodes fan from way back. Cody needs someone to go over his promos with and tell him which parts suck. And then he needs to listen to those people.

Aleister Black: Bad Signing. I simply don't think that he's very good. People have convinced themselves that he is but I do not expect anything good. He is good. The issue is that he wrestles like face but looks like a heel, so he's always kind of been in limbo. They need to book him correctly. He will work out.

FTR: Good signing. Really good signing. Haven't liked their usage but that doesn't mean that the signing was bad. Probably the best tag team in wrestling even if they are never presented as such.

Hager: Bad signing. He's always sucked and his signing was beyond unnecessary. Anyone with size can fill his role, and it would look better if it wasn't someone who sucked for years in WWE. He's just a big body with MMA experience, good take here.

Big Show: Bad signing. Even if he doesn't wrestle he's beyond washed up and didn't bring much in the first place. Just another old WWE guy hanging around getting a paycheque. The less he is on TV the better. AEW still needs a few recongizable names, and having Show as announcer only is fine for that. He needs to stay out of the ring for the most part though.

Sting: Bad signing. I'd rate this a 4/10 rather than a 1/10 (Hager) so it isn't the worst, but the guy is over 60 years old and was never a talker. Doesn't hurt and he doesn't really bring in WWE stink (only Cody living out his WCW fantasy stink) so it's more of a "why bother" for me. Not really a WWE guy in my eyes, though he was there. I also dislike the laziness of putting him with Allin. Sting is done. He hasn't had anything good for over a decade now. He needs to hang them up.

Tazz: Bad signing. Tazz hasn't even been decent since he was in ECW a whopping 22 years ago. AEW has better managers who are now old wrestlers. I know some like him but I haven't liked Tazz for years. Agreed.

Arn Anderson: Good signing. He brings value backstage and can talk. There are also plenty of guys he can conceivably manage. I put Chavo's signing on par with AA's. Not their impact over their careers, but in what they can bring today. If they don't have Chavo work matches.

Tully Blanchard: He's my boy, I can't hate it. Still a good talker at least. Really not a WWE guy either, despite his short run in the 80s.

Dustin Rhodes: Good signing. Good only because of how he fits with Cody Rhodes. He's also been solid, especially early in AEW.

Jim Ross: Good signing. He's still a decent announcer and is a good counterbalance to some of what goes on in AEW. They should probably be transitioning away from him soon though. Should be a two person announce team.

Tony Schiavone: Good signing. He' my favourite announcer ever and can still do the job well. Schiavone and Excalibur would be fine.

Spears: Bad signing. The worst signing. He's awful and it made the company look stupid/desperate for bringing in a WWE jobber who has the talent of a jobber. One of those signings where if someone defended it, you just knew that they would defend anything their company of choice did. Spears should be a trainer. That's it.

Matt Hardy: Bad signing. I like Matt Hardy but he's been around the block too much. He should be in Impact if he's anywhere. Time for Matt Hardy to hang em up.
Mark Henry: Bad signing. Acceptable if he's off TV but if he ends up on TV he is just another former WWE wrestler getting paid. I like Matt Hardy but there isn't really any meat left on the bone.

Brodie Lee: Good signing. He was better than he was used in WWE and came in before the roster was getting bloated with WWE guys. He was good. I would have a few negatives to say but won't as he passed.

Sydal: Good signing. Good as in "not bad" more than anything else. He comes off more like an indy guy than former WWE to me and he's still decent.

Justin Roberts: Bad signing. There are so many other people they could have hired rather than bringing in another former WWE guy who no one could possibly care about. Nepotism. Hired because Cody likes him.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Andrade keeps looking more and more like a bust to me
This dude still living off of that Gargano match from 4-years ago. All he is is an entrance attire at this point. AS soon as the bell rings he has been extremely underhwleming. As soon as he talks he gets lost and rambles and the segment drags on forever.

Now he's complaining on twitter about Meltzer meme stars like a complete mark.

So far he has had a poor match with Sydal and a meh match with Omega. If he can't have a great match with Pac, it's over.

A lot of people bitch about "AEW is doing what TNA did by signing WWE guys who are just looking for a payday!" and then in the next breath "OMG AEW got Andrade! This is huge!"
It is kinda becoming evident that Andrade might just be that ex-WWE who is just looking for a payday lel.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Andrade keeps looking more and more like a bust to me
This dude still living off of that Gargano match from 4-years ago. All he is is an entrance attire at this point. AS soon as the bell rings he has been extremely underhwleming. As soon as he talks he gets lost and rambles and the segment drags on forever.

Now he's complaining on twitter about Meltzer meme stars like a complete mark.

So far he has had a poor match with Sydal and a meh match with Omega. If he can't have a great match with Pac, it's over.

A lot of people bitch about "AEW is doing what TNA did by signing WWE guys who are just looking for a payday!" and then in the next breath "OMG AEW got Andrade! This is huge!"
It is kinda becoming evident that Andrade might just be that ex-WWE who is just looking for a payday lel.

Andrade also wrestled Mysterio a good 3, 4, 116 times on tv and the matches were always very solid.

The talent is there, not sure if the care is. The promos though, yikes. It almost sounds like he is supposed to do the whole promo in English, can't pull it off so he randomly switches to Spanish and rushes it out. The language barrier is real in this case and he absolutely requires a manager. I wish he was the one with Alex Abrahantes. I think the whole, "Penta says..." gimmick would work really well with a top of the card heel.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

Miro: Bad signing. He isn't all that good and plenty of AEW's own guys could have filled his spot. Looks like a signing where they were just happy to get a WWE castoff. AEW should sign ex-WWE guys who are main eventers or young guys with talent. Miro is neither.

Billy Gunn: Bad signing. Reeks of a guy conning them to get a few more paycheques. If he's a trainer that's fine I guess (though I doubt that Mr. Ass has a ton of wisdom to impart) but keep him off TV. He's a relic and was never good. Classic WWE washout.

Chavo: Bad signing. Chavo was never good and he's ancient now. No fan has ever tuned in to a wrestling show to see Chavo Guerrero jr. and he brings in that "desperate for WWE guys" stink.

Vicky Guerrero: Acceptable. Vicky is just a great heel and AEW needs heels.

Cody: Good signingish. He helped create the company so it isn't a signing really but definitely important. I wish they had someone editing him more but I am a Cody Rhodes fan from way back.

Aleister Black: Bad Signing. I simply don't think that he's very good. People have convinced themselves that he is but I do not expect anything good.

Hager: Bad signing. He's always sucked and his signing was beyond unnecessary. Anyone with size can fill his role, and it would look better if it wasn't someone who sucked for years in WWE.

Big Show: Bad signing. Even if he doesn't wrestle he's beyond washed up and didn't bring much in the first place. Just another old WWE guy hanging around getting a paycheque. The less he is on TV the better.

Sting: Bad signing. I'd rate this a 4/10 rather than a 1/10 (Hager) so it isn't the worst, but the guy is over 60 years old and was never a talker. Doesn't hurt and he doesn't really bring in WWE stink (only Cody living out his WCW fantasy stink) so it's more of a "why bother" for me. Not really a WWE guy in my eyes, though he was there. I also dislike the laziness of putting him with Allin.

Tazz: Bad signing. Tazz hasn't even been decent since he was in ECW a whopping 22 years ago. AEW has better managers who are now old wrestlers.

Arn Anderson: Good signing. He brings value backstage and can talk. There are also plenty of guys he can conceivably manage.

Spears: Bad signing. The worst signing. He's awful and it made the company look stupid/desperate for bringing in a WWE jobber who has the talent of a jobber. One of those signings where if someone defended it, you just knew that they would defend anything their company of choice did.

Matt Hardy: Bad signing. I like Matt Hardy but he's been around the block too much. He should be in Impact if he's anywhere.

Brodie Lee: Good signing. He was better than he was used in WWE and came in before the roster was getting bloated with WWE guys.

Justin Roberts: Bad signing. There are so many other people they could have hired rather than bringing in another former WWE guy who no one could possibly care about.

I agree with most of this but not Miro. They are booking him perfectly right now.

I thought Roberts promo with Rhodes when he first came aboard lead me to believe it was going to better than what it turned out to be. The "Never ever turn your back on somebody you respect or you're afraid of," before turning his back on Cody and exiting the ring was awesome. It just never went anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad