GDT: AEW Double or Nothing | May 25th 2019 - 8pm - Las Vegas

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I agreed with @The Gongshow until I watched Cody and the Bucks interview. Now i 10000000% agree with @PeterSidorkiewicz . Those guys are going to watch film like NFL coaches. They seemed to know some areas to improve on already. I think they will 100% have this down after a year.

Remember to become great, it's a 2-5 year plan. This is not a sprint to become a great company. Build the foundation. I think those guys have a true understanding of where they need to be.

It's painfully obvious they need more mid-to-upper card talent. But that can't be fixed overnight.

As long as they stay true to who they are, create characters and not mention nor worry about what WWE does they'll be ok.

I think it would also be wise to promote high quality tag team wrestling. Hence why the Revival were considering leaving WWE.

Reactions: ColePens

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
D7g9uayW0AANCRp

Day after AEW debut they send out this email. Petty. :laugh:
All you have to do is read the observer rewinds on reddit to get the real story and not WWE’s version.

Things are gonna be so awkward with the amount of talent in WWE openly talking about AEW, and now Moxley signing a multi-year deal after WWE reportedly felt he wouldn’t sign there.

They’re going to be stingier than ever holding talent.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I also think Jericho wins the title. He’s so good as a character. There’s money in a babyface chase, but it needs to be the right face.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Something simple about weigh-ins, pre-ppv press conferences, and real post-match interviews that make me fall in love. I absolutely LOVE that style. Wrestlers blend a nice mix of real/kayfabe without going too far. Really nice stuff. The interviews have been fantastic.

The pre match introductions for the bigger matches last night were great too. Made the matches into sort of their own spectacle. Everything from the personal introductions to announcing a time limit. It all worked.

Reactions: ColePens

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Since they billed it as Jericho Omega 2 it makes sense to me Jericho went over.

Also, Kenny has years and years ahead of him. Jericho is taking his victory lap, or should be anyway. After this, Jericho does seem to me like a hanger on. Luckily he’s more than willing to put over younger talent that would benefit from it.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
All you have to do is read the observer rewinds on reddit to get the real story and not WWE’s version.

Things are gonna be so awkward with the amount of talent in WWE openly talking about AEW, and now Moxley signing a multi-year deal after WWE reportedly felt he wouldn’t sign there.

They’re going to be stingier than ever holding talent.
Its really the timing of the email thats fascinsting.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Not a big fan of JR anymore but his commentary made Moxley’s arrival feel that much bigger. He’s the best at hyping that stuff up to take it to the next level.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jim Ross definitely felt like he was motivated to get people over considering he has a role in the company. Much different from his last WWE run where he didn't sound as good, or New Japan where he was terrible and drunk

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Here's the main concern that I have after watching this PPV and thinking about the future of this company.

I think over time people are going to see some of the value in the slower, WWE style matches. The big, over the top, Young Bucks style huge finisher/kickout spammed 50x in a row matches are cool on irregular PPV's or the New Japan Circuit, but I think you're going to get very quickly diminishing returns when you're putting those matches on national TV every single week.

I worry this roster is going to be too indie-riffic and just devolve into ridiculous spotfest wrestling every week. If that's what you're into that could be cool for a while, but eventually you're going to devalue everyones moveset and it's just going to be video game wrestling.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Here's the main concern that I have after watching this PPV and thinking about the future of this company.

I think over time people are going to see some of the value in the slower, WWE style matches. The big, over the top, Young Bucks style huge finisher/kickout spammed 50x in a row matches are cool on irregular PPV's or the New Japan Circuit, but I think you're going to get very quickly diminishing returns when you're putting those matches on national TV every single week.

I worry this roster is going to be too indie-riffic and just devolve into ridiculous spotfest wrestling every week. If that's what you're into that could be cool for a while, but eventually you're going to devalue everyones moveset and it's just going to be video game wrestling.

That's pretty much the standard criticism of indy wrestling (and the Young Bucks) and there's certainly some validity there. The wrestlers who run the place are experienced though and hopefully can help people find the right balance.

It's worth noting that for a lot of people the Rhodes match was the best match last night, and that was a relatively old school match, and one of the most entertaining segments was certainly MJF on the mic. They have to notice those things. Cody also grew up on WCW where you could see a wide variety of matches and Khan seems to be a fan of old as well as new stuff.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They're not stupid, you're not going to see them trying to have 5-star matches every week on TV. First week, or some other episode they build to, is different. Matches on TV are supposed to be done to promote or build or get someone over. Young Bucks don't need to do that, especially if they have to be backstage being show runners every week. Kip Sabian on the other hand, probably does have to go out and do stuff - but only to get himself over and in time, someone else. They want wins and losses and matches to matter, so it doesn't make sense to run the Young Bucks out there just because they need a good tag match to fill 20 minutes of TV.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Recorded the show and got around to watching it today. Such a great event. It started somewhat slow but it really picked up with the Dustin/Cody match. I personally love athleticism, so I have no problem with the Lucha Bros/Young Bucks spotfest. It was a ton of fun. Omega/Jericho was physical and told a decent story. Moxley showing up was just insane. The crowd pop must have been incredible live.

AEW can shut up and take my money from here on out. Can't wait for August 31st

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
They're not stupid, you're not going to see them trying to have 5-star matches every week on TV. First week, or some other episode they build to, is different. Matches on TV are supposed to be done to promote or build or get someone over. Young Bucks don't need to do that, especially if they have to be backstage being show runners every week. Kip Sabian on the other hand, probably does have to go out and do stuff - but only to get himself over and in time, someone else. They want wins and losses and matches to matter, so it doesn't make sense to run the Young Bucks out there just because they need a good tag match to fill 20 minutes of TV.

I mean I get that, but when you're filling your PPV's with those type of kickout spam matches you're conditioning your audience to expect that from your product. I've heard a lot of people saying that they'll go to more traditional finishers and match formats on weekly TV, but to me I'm skeptical of the idea that you can have guys working both types of matches and keep the audience invested.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I mean I get that, but when you're filling your PPV's with those type of kickout spam matches you're conditioning your audience to expect that from your product. I've heard a lot of people saying that they'll go to more traditional finishers and match formats on weekly TV, but to me I'm skeptical of the idea that you can have guys working both types of matches and keep the audience invested.
Young Bucks hit their finish once and it was the end of the match. Jericho had a new finish, but it was his finish and he won with it. Omega did not use his finish even though he tried multiple times. I'd actually prefer they diversify finishers to keep me on my toes. The Young Bucks do, but I know Kenny Omega can't win a match until he hits a one-winged angel, so I know any time he tries to pin otherwise isn't a finish, and the crowd knew it too.

Reactions: Fro
Oct 18, 2011
Have any of you been on YouTube today?

One of the things I LOVE is they did real media scrums with real wrestling reporters. Not the fake garbage we've seen with WWE ones. I hope this is a regular thing after PPVs

Oct 18, 2011
Also, I think Jericho's win last night is an example that they think properly and with foresight. (As opposed to another company that has a guy win for no reason and then get squashed the next week because they're bi-polar with their pushes)

Jericho is still the biggest draw in the company, even over Moxley. Jericho winning puts Hangman in that spotlight with him, which likely results in Hangman going over. If and when Hangman goes over, it protects Jericho from having two big losses in a row and losing his effectiveness. (Bray Wyatt effect)

It leaves the door open for a Jericho/Omega rubber match, whereas that rivalry would be all but dead with Kenny going 2-0. Plus, it keeps them from blowing their load on Omega vs. Hangman before they even debut on TV.

It also opened the door for co-main events on the Chicago show. Omega vs. Hangman, frankly, will be a bigger match once Hangman goes over Jericho. Jericho vs. Moxley just doesn't have a lot of a selling point considering we've already see it. But Hangman vs. Jericho and Moxley vs. Omega is something totally different.
Jericho needs to win and establish the title IMO

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Jericho needs to win and establish the title IMO

I think the danger you run with that is the same that you run with TNA, though. Where the old guys are somehow beating the young guys who are supposed to be getting over.

The danger, then, is that you have to give Jericho a long title run, which means a lot of guys are gonna lie on their back for him.

Oct 18, 2011
I think the danger you run with that is the same that you run with TNA, though. Where the old guys are somehow beating the young guys who are supposed to be getting over.

The danger, then, is that you have to give Jericho a long title run, which means a lot of guys are gonna lie on their back for him.
TNAs problem was garbage booking by people like Russo that wasn't well thought out. I don't think that'll be an issue here and whoever beats Jericho down the road will be set whether it's Page, Kenny or even MJF(Who came off as a big star in the making)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
TNAs problem was garbage booking by people like Russo that wasn't well thought out. I don't think that'll be an issue here and whoever beats Jericho down the road will be set whether it's Page, Kenny or even MJF(Who came off as a big star in the making)

MJF vs. Jericho doesn't make any sense.

At the moment Jericho is the only main event heel, and MJF is an obvious heel. I think Hangman is inevitably going to be the guy to drop him.

Can't remember, when does Marty's contract with NJPW end?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

At the moment Jericho is the only main event heel, and MJF is an obvious heel. I think Hangman is inevitably going to be the guy to drop him.

Some time in the fall

Oct 18, 2011

Just because he's a heel now doesn't mean he'll be one down the road still

i agree with you about the undercard, BUT I saw two potential stars, MJF and Scorpio Sky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad