GDT: AEW All Out! | August 31st 2019 - 800pm - Chicago, IL

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jericho is a legend but if you put the title on him, how can you argue you’re different from the WWE.

Page is the young, upcoming star, but there’s people not sure if he’s the guy.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Jericho seems like the type of dude who would just put on heaps of weight to make the young guy really work through the match and need to do more heavy lifting.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Jericho can put on as much weight as he wants as far as I’m concerned. He still looks the part for the top draw heel, plays it better than anyone else in the world, and he’s never not been capable of giving us a main event caliber match.

This extra 100 pounds he’s found since his raw debut hasn’t hurt him at all.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Jericho can put on as much weight as he wants as far as I’m concerned. He still looks the part for the top draw heel, plays it better than anyone else in the world, and he’s never not been capable of giving us a main event caliber match.

This extra 100 pounds he’s found since his raw debut hasn’t hurt him at all.
I mean, he did exactly that for his NJPW run and shift to a brawler style.

his matches aren’t particularly exciting anymore if they don’t have a no DQ stipulation involved anymore though

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
You can argue it both ways but for me Jericho is the logical choice holding the belt heading onto TV. Hugely recognisable name who we know can carry a show on the mic, and carry others on the mic, no question at all.

Hangman doesn't bring the presence in that way. You don't want your first TV to be Hangman as champ cutting promos, certainly not in comparison to Jericho.

Starting TV with a face champ is boring as well.

Reactions: Prairie Oyster

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
because they’re about to go on TNT and Jericho is the smart business move?

I never argued that.

But like I said, you can’t pretend you’re any different than the WWE when it comes to putting older wrestlers over younger ones.

So you do “what’s best for business”, but don’t claim you’re different.

Again, I’m not arguing for or against either guy winning because there is merits to both.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You can argue it both ways but for me Jericho is the logical choice holding the belt heading onto TV. Hugely recognisable name who we know can carry a show on the mic, and carry others on the mic, no question at all.

Hangman doesn't bring the presence in that way. You don't want your first TV to be Hangman as champ cutting promos, certainly not in comparison to Jericho.

Starting TV with a face champ is boring as well.
it’s also just a bad business move for the reasons you & I stated.

the way I see it, the “core” base of AEW: the ones there from All In, those ones are locked in. AEW has them already. they know Page. the audience they’re trying to win over? the NEW fans? they’ll have no idea who he is. Jericho is a much larger draw, name & presence and it’s not even freaking close.

smart business says Jericho is going into TNT as the champ. Simple as that.

Reactions: Morozov

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
For me, Jericho as your first champ is the safe business move. Page would be bold

Honestly i think they’ll be just fine either way.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I never argued that.

But like I said, you can’t pretend you’re any different than the WWE when it comes to putting older wrestlers over younger ones.

So you do “what’s best for business”, but don’t claim you’re different.

Again, I’m not arguing for or against either guy winning because there is merits to both.

Sure they can, they had Kenny put PAC over at the start of the show. That's already different to what WWE does.

You can't just draw conclusions based on one result. When people talk about WWE in that regard, they're making judgement based on a long history of things they've watched. You're trying to make this leap based on one match, when again at the start of the show we already had one counter point to it anyway.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
everyone knows Jericho going into TNT as champ = more viewers from the start because recognizable name as champ, which means opportunity to book awesome shows and RETAIN those fans, which means you make a STAR when the next top face inevitably takes the belt from Jericho, whether it’s Page in a rematch or Kenny or whoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad