OT: Ads on Jerseys

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Advertisements on NBA jerseys*have been a long time coming, and now that the league’s most decorated franchise has announced its partnership, the critics’*worst fears were realized*Wednesday with the unveiling of a General Electric logo on the Boston Celtics’ iconic green and white uniforms.
The Philadelphia 76ers were the first to announce a three-year, $15 million partnership*with StubHub, and the Sacramento Kings followed on*a similar deal with Blue Diamond Almonds. The exact terms of Boston’s collaboration with GE is uncertain, but Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck told reporters at the unveiling six other owners inquired about the financial details of his team’s latest*revenue stream.

I guess it won't be too much longer until we see this in the NHL. Ads on jerseys is commonplace in the minor leagues. It is the latest way for the team owners to make money.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/a...ew-jersey-ad-i-like-free-money-182502245.html

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'm kinda surprised it's taking so long to be honest. I know that it will be immensely unpopular with fans but with ads on the boards, ads on the ice, ads on the glass, ads on the arenas, artificial timeouts to prolong TV commercials (!!!) it's inevitable.

I'm surprised a star athlete hasn't sold his name to a corporation yet. Can you imagine if Crosby changed his name to Dunkin Donuts? And that's what he had on the back of his sweater and what the announcers had to call him by? LOL!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm kinda surprised it's taking so long to be honest. I know that it will be immensely unpopular with fans but with ads on the boards, ads on the ice, ads on the glass, ads on the arenas, artificial timeouts to prolong TV commercials (!!!) it's inevitable.

I'm surprised a star athlete hasn't sold his name to a corporation yet. Can you imagine if Crosby changed his name to Dunkin Donuts? And that's what he had on the back of his sweater and what the announcers had to call him by? LOL!

In the early 1980s the Blues had a minor league/backup goalie to Mike Liut named Rick Heinz. I can't believe he didn't wear number 57 and make a couple of bucks off his name.;)

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
In the early 1980s the Blues had a minor league/backup goalie to Mike Liut named Rick Heinz. I can't believe he didn't wear number 57 and make a couple of bucks off his name.;)

I remember that goalie. I actually went to school with a kid who's first name was Heinz.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Steve Heinze wore 57 in the early 00's for the Jackets, Sabres and Kings! Not the right spelling of course but always thought it was funny.

Not going to be a fan of when it happens because the more simplistic uniforms the better in my opinion, but it's inevitable.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I really hope it never comes. The jerseys look hideous with that crap on them. I wouldn't buy another one.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Really a damn shame. It makes sense monetarily but I just hate how our leagues are doing this. I just wish we could've left the jerseys untouchable.

Always cringed at the Euro leagues and their ad-ridden jerseys and now it's happening in the states.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Aside from the direct payment the teams would get for having ads on jerseys, look at what happens in soccer. Teams changes sponsors (or just the design of the ad) and people want the "new" jersey. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Aside from the direct payment the teams would get for having ads on jerseys, look at what happens in soccer. Teams changes sponsors (or just the design of the ad) and people want the "new" jersey. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Did soccer have the same uniforms for decades and then suddenly start doing it or did it happen in a different way? I'm genuinely asking, because I haven't a clue.

If a new league was formed and that was a way to generate money, they may have always been there. That would make it distinctly different than what will happen in other sports. I just wouldn't buy jerseys with advertisements on them, like they have in Europe. I'd probably get over a shoulder patch or something small, but I certainly don't like it.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I'm fine with pros wearing jerseys that have ads on them but I wouldn't buy a jersey that had a large ad on it, doesn't look good at all if you ask me.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Did soccer have the same uniforms for decades and then suddenly start doing it or did it happen in a different way? I'm genuinely asking, because I haven't a clue.

If a new league was formed and that was a way to generate money, they may have always been there. That would make it distinctly different than what will happen in other sports. I just wouldn't buy jerseys with advertisements on them, like they have in Europe. I'd probably get over a shoulder patch or something small, but I certainly don't like it.

You can blame Jaegermeister: http://mentalfloss.com/article/27776/brief-history-jersey-sponsorship

And this was the early 70's. Before fans were really buying jerseys so there wouldn't have been too much public opposition

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Milking as much revenue as possible is the way of the world in pro sports. I wasn't happy when ads started creeping onto the boards in the NHL, nor do I like that they proliferate Major League Baseball fences. But this is the world we live in today. I just hope the jersey ads do not become garish billboards for the sponsors.

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
I enjoy watching the Premier League (Well now Championship... Thanks Villa :shakehead) and one of the major issues I have with the league is the ads on shirts. It is reasonable though because they play 90 minutes continuously with one single break for commercials so I get over it.

I don't feel this way about the NHL though. I think that there is more than enough time between whistles and intermissions to advertise. The boards and glass ads don't bother me much, but I really hope they can keep ads out of the faceoff circles and furthermore off of the jerseys. There is not a chance I'd buy an NHL jersey for the price they cost to be a walking billboard for some company I don't care for. They should be paying me to wear the jersey, and beyond that they look absolutely atrocious.

Hockey jerseys are the best in sports. That's obviously an opinion, but my reasoning is because there is so much space to work with and so much thought and creativity is necessary to find the perfect spot between too much and too little.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
They have ads on jerseys in all soccer leagues. No one cares.

Buying a professional Sports franchise these days will cost you 500 Million to a Billion dollars. You think these guys are going to get a return on their investment by you buying a hot dog and a beer?

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa

Buying a professional Sports franchise these days will cost you 500 Million to a Billion dollars. You think these guys are going to get a return on their investment by you buying a hot dog and a beer?

Plenty care, they are even in this topic.

It's not my problem they overpay for franchises.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

In the NHL, if an arena that holds 16,000 people sells $15 of food per person, it'd take them 25.5 years to recoup their 500 million. Obviously, that doesn't take into account cost for food and all of that, but it also doesn't take into account all the other sources of revenue the teams get. If it were such a bad investment, nobody would currently own the teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad