Confirmed with Link: Adin Hill traded to Vegas for 2024 4th Round Pick

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
So, as a rebuilding team, would you rather trade

A. A 34 year old goalie who is a UFA at the end of the year for presumably a 3rd

Or

B. A 26 year old goalie for a 4th?
Didn’t they just send a prospect and a second to the Coyotes for Hill a year ago as well? I’m pretty confused. Was he bad enough that his stock fell that much? I don’t hate Reimer but he’s probably more of a what you see is what you get goalie at this point. A fringe starter that can steal you games from time to time but isn’t consistent enough to go all the way. Meanwhile Hill is slightly worse but has more upside.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Man, Hill for a 2nd was a rough trade. I'm okay with keeping Reimer if Kahkonen is the presumed long term starter in SJ. Reimer being a very controlled technical goalie means that he could move directly into a coaching role here once he's done.

Reactions: themelkman

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
It was the right trade to make, Hill has only struggled in San Jose and on top of that he’s just not that good. Riemers value if he plays well only goes up, and I’m sure he’s being kept in San Jose to be a mentor for Kaapo

Reactions: Alwalys

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Didn’t they just send a prospect and a second to the Coyotes for Hill a year ago as well? I’m pretty confused. Was he bad enough that his stock fell that much? I don’t hate Reimer but he’s probably more of a what you see is what you get goalie at this point. A fringe starter that can steal you games from time to time but isn’t consistent enough to go all the way. Meanwhile Hill is slightly worse but has more upside.
What upside? He was garbage in arizona and now he was garbage in san jose. He is 26 with 4 nhl seasons under him. If he has not figured out how to play in the nhl yet, he will never figure it out. Everyone knew this was coming was once kahkonen was signed.

Reimer can still be traded at the deadline, but first he is needed to be a role model for kahkonen.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I wonder if Grier decided he couldn't get a 2nd for Reimer now, so he'll take what he can get for Hill now and perhaps reevaluate near the deadline.

Sharks
Reimer
Kähkönen

Barracuda
Mann
Mäkiniemi
Dell

Wichita
Emond

If Reimer is moved, Dell probably moves up to be the NHL backup unless one of the young guys excels.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So, as a rebuilding team, would you rather trade

A. A 34 year old goalie who is a UFA at the end of the year for presumably a 3rd

Or

B. A 26 year old goalie for a 4th?
C - Trade them both. Trade Hill right now with seats at every other team full and a 2nd round pick asking price not being attainable for Reimer. Wait until there is a goalie injury to a playoff team in January and trade Reimer for a 2nd or 3rd at that time and ride Dell as your backup goalie for the remainder of the season behind Kahkonen.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Yes to all of the above, but not really any point in worrying about what we paid to get him as that’s irrelevant now.

My issue is not selling high on the old goalie who is a UFA at seasons end and selling low on a young(ish) goalie.

Unless Grier is planning to trade Reimer at the trade deadline, no one on Reimer’s 5 team NTC made an offer, or Reimer wouldn’t waive his NTC, it’s just bad asset management.

Probably all irrelevant in the long run, but we presumably could’ve gotten a 3rd-4th for Reimer, who has no future with the team, kept Hill and hoped for a rebound and maybe get a 2nd or 3rd for him.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
What upside? He was garbage in arizona and now he was garbage in san jose. He is 26 with 4 nhl seasons under him. If he has not figured out how to play in the nhl yet, he will never figure it out. Everyone knew this was coming was once kahkonen was signed.

Reimer can still be traded at the deadline, but first he is needed to be a role model for kahkonen.
I thought Hill was fine. He had spurts of good play behind a bad team. He posted a shutout after he finally returned healthy only to be injured again in that game and miss the rest of the season. Would have liked to see what he could do healthy, but also getting a 4th round pick now rather than nothing potentially later (or running him through waivers) was the best option for now. Let Reimer mentor Kahkonen for a few months before moving him to Colorado or Edmonton to help with their goalie situations for the stretch run.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
C - Trade them both. Trade Hill right now with seats at every other team full and a 2nd round pick asking price not being attainable for Reimer. Wait until there is a goalie injury to a playoff team in January and trade Reimer for a 2nd or 3rd at that time and ride Dell as your backup goalie for the remainder of the season behind Kahkonen.
I would like that, but if by some chance we’re a bubble team, Grier is going to keep Reimer. Reimer could also be the difference between picking 5th and 10th next year. Would’ve rather traded Reim now and hope for Hill to rebound and increase his value enough to where he’s worth keeping or trading for something higher than a 4th.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Yes to all of the above, but not really any point in worrying about what we paid to get him as that’s irrelevant now.

My issue is not selling high on the old goalie who is a UFA at seasons end and selling low on a young(ish) goalie.

Unless Grier is planning to trade Reimer at the trade deadline, no one on Reimer’s 5 team NTC made an offer, or Reimer wouldn’t waive his NTC, it’s just bad asset management.

Probably all irrelevant in the long run, but we presumably could’ve gotten a 3rd-4th for Reimer, who has no future with the team, kept Hill and hoped for a rebound and maybe get a 2nd or 3rd for him.
Reimer's list is a 5 team NO trade list rather than a 5 team trade list. Think it's more that Grier is holding firm in his price tag to 1) set a precedent as a new GM that you can't just wait him out and have him cave to your offer and 2) he could potentially get something later and double dip.

Also, Kahkonen is a young goalie that has never been a full time starter. While Reimer is who I was in favor of trading for max value, if the value isn't there then it makes sense to tandem the two of them and have Reimer mentor him and maybe play well enough to provide trade value later (along with a steady goalie that can help you actually evaluate the team with NHL caliber play in net).

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Reimer's list is a 5 team NO trade list rather than a 5 team trade list. Think it's more that Grier is holding firm in his price tag to 1) set a precedent as a new GM that you can't just wait him out and have him cave to your offer and 2) he could potentially get something later and double dip.

Also, Kahkonen is a young goalie that has never been a full time starter. While Reimer is who I was in favor of trading for max value, if the value isn't there then it makes sense to tandem the two of them and have Reimer mentor him and maybe play well enough to provide trade value later (along with a steady goalie that can help you actually evaluate the team with NHL caliber play in net).
Are we really worried about how good our starter is? Thought it was widely accepted that we’ll be a fringe playoff team at best?

Also, Grier isn’t exactly winning any trade he’s made yet, so by “setting the tone” by not trading Reimer, but giving in and trading Hill, doesn’t seem to support that theory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad