Player Discussion Addressing the goaltending

Should Holland address the goaltending with a goalie under contract or a UFA to be?

• Total voters

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
LA or BUF aren't trading away their young starters and i think Bernier and Rinne have about as much left in the tank as Mike Smith.

I think Buffalo will absolutely entertain offers on Ullmark. He’s a UFA this summer, as is Hutton. Their best hope in net is actually UPL, though if they draft high again I expect them to target Wallstedt.

Petersen is probably closer to being a no-go, but LA is stuck with that Quick contract until the end of time. They may look at acquiring draft or prospect capital for someone on the fringes of their rebuild window age-wise as more valuable than playing him until UFA two seasons from now.

As for Bernier and Rinne, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of them end up somewhere else and post a remarkable turnaround (this season). My money would be on Rinne, but either way if you’re not giving up more than a 3rd or 4th to try and improve the most important position on any team it’s worth it IMO. This isn’t like flinging picks at AA/Green.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
No they would not. You'd be looking at something more like a 1st, Broberg AND Holloway for Gibson, and need to include Koskinen to balance the cap and leave them with a decent goalie.

Let’s say the Ducks agreed to two separate deals involving the 1st, Broberg, Holloway, Larsson and Koskinen for Manson and Gibson. Worth it or no?

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
I think guys like

Merzlikins/Korpisalo
Kuemper/Raanta
Driedger
and maybe even Fleury

could be available.
Issue is any trade would require them to quarantine for 2 weeks, then probably practice for a few days, so they'd probably miss 7-10 games before they could start.

If they could *somehow* get Kuemper out of Arizona without giving up Bouchard/Broberg/Jesse/Holloway, I think you gotta do it. Arizona wants to shed cap and they're spending 9M on goaltending. They're the best bet IMO.
Columbus is in the same situation. Want to shed cap.
And I highly doubt Florida re-signs Driedger, so I'd be inquiring about him too.

Options are there, it's a matter of if they think it's worth it for them to trade assets to have these guys not play for 2 1/2 weeks. Or if the prices are too high...

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would like us to try Bernier. Idk, maybe that's just my narrow view, but I've liked his talent and I feel he's been given a raw deal in terms of the D he's played behind.

Impending UFA on a bad team. That makes him available. Give a prospect, not a pick.

That's not a long term fix mind you. I'd love for us to find a young goalie who is maybe a bit worse than Koskinen but with room to grow. Build for something.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I think goalies just consider it the red light district and generally want to stay clear

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Let’s say the Ducks agreed to two separate deals involving the 1st, Broberg, Holloway, Larsson and Koskinen for Manson and Gibson. Worth it or no?

Manson's career has followed a similar arc to Larsson lately, and my impression is that he's even worse in terms of puck decisions. I don't see the point of that part of the swap, for either team.

1st+Broberg+Holloway is a monster haul for Gibson. But let's be honest. If you heard that you were getting Gibson for 1st+Broberg+Holloway+Koskinen, you'd still be pretty happy. John Gibson makes the Oilers a cup contender, he's that good.

Reactions: InTheBox

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

this is a bit more than I would give up

I would try to get a different goalie from another team if that is the ask

Reactions: MoontoScott

space321

May 11, 2011
There really isn't any goalie out there that's available that would instantly fix this teams' problems.

Fixing the defense would probably be easier and more effective at lowering our GAA

Reactions: MoontoScott

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Yes, just try to be more disciplined on your defensive coverage. Good goalie more likely to be available in the off season at a reasonable cost.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Manson's career has followed a similar arc to Larsson lately, and my impression is that he's even worse in terms of puck decisions. I don't see the point of that part of the swap, for either team.

1st+Broberg+Holloway is a monster haul for Gibson. But let's be honest. If you heard that you were getting Gibson for 1st+Broberg+Holloway+Koskinen, you'd still be pretty happy. John Gibson makes the Oilers a cup contender, he's that good.
When's the last time a goalie returned anything close to that. I want a goalie as much as the next person but that's just gross. I would vomit if they made that trade.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

Fair concern about Manson being Larsson 2.0, and he's obviously a lot older than Larsson was at the time of the trade with more miles on his body. But I do think 1st + Holloway + Broberg is too much for Gibson, which is why I proposed the trade be split into two parts among the two players. If Manson doesn't pan out, he's only signed for two years so it's no big deal. But he's the kind of D I can see making a difference here.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

I'd do that trade only if Gibson makes league minimum for the next 10 years

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I never understand this 2 week issue we would have. So it is better to ride out worse goaltending all year than to maybe get a better goalie and have to wait 2 weeks for him to arrive? While the goalies that are already playing, play another few starts? For the long term, who cares about 2 weeks if you can make a good trade.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This is the topic du jour but even with a Vezina candidate this club is far away from being a contender.

I dunno...

Read an article (or Oilogosphere blog?) about with average goaltending we would have 3 more wins (means 3 less losses).

If we were sitting at 12-5-0 we would be sitting at the top of the league.

We definitely lost 3 games this year due to bad goaltending (although Mike Smith stole us one in Ottawa).

Can't help but think we sort of resemble the 05-06 Oilers playing in front of the 3-headed Conkannen-Morrison monster.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
When's the last time a goalie returned anything close to that. I want a goalie as much as the next person but that's just gross. I would vomit if they made that trade.

I looked back at some big goalie trades.

It's a different scenario and a different time plus I'm sure Montreal's ownership wanted to resolve the distraction/embarrassment quickly but the biggest deal in my mind was the Roy trade. They dealt Roy (who was arguably the best goalie in the league at that time) and Mike Keane (their captain) for Jocelyn Thibeault, Martin Rucinski and Andrei Kovakenko.

I think Broberg will be better than Klefbom so I'm not dealing him. The 1st I can part with (with no conditions), Koskinen would have to go the other way as well (would Anaheim even want him?), and I can part with a prospect like Lavoie if they need forward prospects.

I firmly believe Koskinen needs to be a part of any goalie trade. He's the big reason why I think Holland is stuck doing anything in the season. I don't think many teams are clamoring for him at his cap hit and term left plus he can nix any deal.

Gibson is this year's pipedream in my opinion. It's fun to discuss but likelihood is near zero in my opinion.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Imo we can't wait to resolve the goalie situation. There are no strong prospects on the horizon (Konovalov of KHL is the closest but still likely 2 years away).
If we want to avoid this issue from becoming a recurring problem every season, then let's focus on top-tier candidates that are serviceable for 4 to 5 years, and be prepared to pay a rich price.
Right now we're paying $6 m per season for sub-92% tending...how much should we pay ($ and picks) to reach sub-94%? Tricky spot for a GM.

Oct 15, 2017
I dont think Oilers need to spend for a goalie as good as Gibson, has top 5 guy. They need a guy in 10-20 position, (I know Koski sits there from his numbers last year but he cant play starter numbers for games)

I would love to see a combo of Korp or Elvis with Dreidger. Would cost wayy less than Gibson and fixes 2 goalie positions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad