News Article: Adams will talk with Beane to “pick his brain” about injuries

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jim_Bob posted that in the injury thread. I still think there is some breakdown in their process. Since some of the staff overlap, is there an issue with their strength and conditioning people? Like, we get details of diagnosis and then players linger... and linger... and come in and out of the lineup. So what's going wrong with the recovery? Is the initial diagnosis off? Is it that they aren't rehabilitating their injuries correctly? Are they partying too hard still and not taking this seriously?

Something's got to give. The stat-nicks have them losing out on 23-ish points for the season based on their injured regulars. A 20-point swing puts them in the playoff bubble.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Jim_Bob posted that in the injury thread. I still think there is some breakdown in their process. Since some of the staff overlap, is there an issue with their strength and conditioning people? Like, we get details of diagnosis and then players linger... and linger... and come in and out of the lineup. So what's going wrong with the recovery? Is the initial diagnosis off? Is it that they aren't rehabilitating their injuries correctly? Are they partying too hard still and not taking this seriously?

Something's got to give. The stat-nicks have them losing out on 23-ish points for the season based on their injured regulars. A 20-point swing puts them in the playoff bubble.
I’m glad Adams is looking at it and doing a deep dive. I know it’s not earth shattering that he is but it’s something that needs to be done.

One thing pointed out in the article is the Bills run of good health coincides with the opening of their new training facility by the stadium.

…The Bills also spent $18 million to build a new 41,000-square-foot performance and training center directly inside the footprint of their practice facility. It opened in the spring of 2019, which just-so-happens to coincide with when those injury numbers began reducing drastically….

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't think that is going to help. The Bills have been, for the most part, very lucky with regards to injuries. While I'm sure the investment in conditioning has helped, it also helps that the bills are a top tier team with good depth, so players are able to take a game off with a nagging injury and the team, for the most part, is fine. However, other than Tre White getting injured, we haven't seen any major players just randomly come up with a sprained knee or have a d lineman accidentally roll on top of a skilled player. So, its a little random that the bills have been as healthy as they have been. But, football and hockey are very different sports with football having a week between games and a longer offseason.

I also wonder if, given the state of the team and there not being any meaningful games, take a bit longer on the IR than they would if the team was contending. I look at the Anderson situation that he just was healthy and ready to play out of left field when we hit rock bottom for goalies.

Reactions: buffalowing88

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Rehab/recovery is the thing I’m wondering the most about. I don’t see many of the injuries incurred as being all that preventable or a product of bad conditioning/training practices. But the rehab timelines have been all over the place.

If you remember they started the season giving out time lines that were frequently too short and kept updating/extending them. It was like that last season with Krueger. Then at some point Granato apologized for how off the time lines were.

Since then they’ve been overestimating how long guys would be out. So we’re getting guys out month to month and then practicing a week or so later. Or like with Mitts who was week to week. But he started practicing a few days after that timeline was put out. Then was in the lineup before a week was out.

Its been weird at times seeing guys we thought would be out for longer suddenly at practice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think that is going to help.

I'm shocked, I say shocked that you don't think anything will help.

Shocked, I say.

The Bills have been, for the most part, very lucky with regards to injuries. While I'm sure the investment in conditioning has helped,

...which could be at the heart of this...

...it also helps that the bills are a top tier team with good depth, so players are able to take a game off with a nagging injury and the team, for the most part, is fine. However, other than Tre White getting injured, we haven't seen any major players just randomly come up with a sprained knee or have a d lineman accidentally roll on top of a skilled player. So, its a little random that the bills have been as healthy as they have been. But, football and hockey are very different sports with football having a week between games and a longer offseason.

It isn't the injuries, it is the diagnosis and recovery that are in question.

I also wonder if, given the state of the team and there not being any meaningful games, take a bit longer on the IR than they would if the team was contending. I look at the Anderson situation that he just was healthy and ready to play out of left field when we hit rock bottom for goalies.

Anderson himself said he pushed it to get ready as soon as he could and wanted to be in the lineup for the Ottawa game where Ennis had the hattrick. The rest of that is just some narrative fiction. Just stop man.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm shocked, I say shocked that you don't think anything will help.

Shocked, I say.

...which could be at the heart of this...

It isn't the injuries, it is the diagnosis and recovery that are in question.

Just like it was weird when Adams called up Beane for advice on the draft, it's weird that Adams is calling up Beane for advice on injuries. They are much different sports. He should be calling up NHL orgs and talking to them. Or even top tier college hockey programs. It's good he'd identified organizational deficiencies, it's weird to go to a football program for advice.

Anderson himself said he pushed it to get ready as soon as he could and wanted to be in the lineup for the Ottawa game where Ennis had the hattrick. The rest of that is just some narrative fiction. Just stop man.

There was something weird happening with Anderson's injury. There were zero updates, he was month to month, he wasn't around the team, just no updates at all. And when the team was about to bottom out in terms of needing to sign another goalie, he's magically ready to start? That's not suspicious at all? That's not there being a narrative, that's observing that something beyond whatever narrative the team is giving out is happening.

Reactions: jc17

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just like it was weird when Adams called up Beane for advice on the draft, it's weird that Adams is calling up Beane for advice on injuries. They are much different sports. He should be calling up NHL orgs and talking to them. Or even top tier college hockey programs. It's good he'd identified organizational deficiencies, it's weird to go to a football program for advice.

There was something weird happening with Anderson's injury. There were zero updates, he was month to month, he wasn't around the team, just no updates at all. And when the team was about to bottom out in terms of needing to sign another goalie, he's magically ready to start? That's not suspicious at all? That's not there being a narrative, that's observing that something beyond whatever narrative the team is giving out is happening.

He hurt his neck or shoulder and they gave no updates on anyone. We didn't know Caggiula's issue was a disc until just yesterday and he's been week-to-week, then on the ice in a non-contact jersey, then month-to-month.

I think you are trying to invent things that aren't there because you are hell-bent on shitting on the team at every single turn. I think you make shit up to make shit up so you can be even more angry about the made up shit than whatever is happening on the ice. It's certainly derails things on the regular.

And no, I don't see some nefarious plot. That's some bullshit. Welcome to my ignore list.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
He hurt his neck or shoulder and they gave no updates on anyone. We didn't know Caggiula's issue was a disc until just yesterday and he's been week-to-week, then on the ice in a non-contact jersey, then month-to-month.

I think you are trying to invent things that aren't there because you are hell-bent on shitting on the team at every single turn. I think you make shit up to make shit up so you can be even more angry about the made up shit than whatever is happening on the ice. It's certainly derails things on the regular.

There's plenty to be angry about this team and the past two seasons that there is zero need to invent anything. A NHL team consulting with a NFL team about their injury problems is silly, full stop. Just very different sports.

And no, I don't see some nefarious plot. That's some bullshit. Welcome to my ignore list.

I don't think there's a nefarious plot here, just suggesting players might take longer on IR when the team is out of contention vs a team that is fighting for their playoff lives? Anderson's situation was, for lack of a better word, weird, as his return was seemingly out of left field. He wasn't practicing with the team, he didn't get conditioning games, he practiced a few times and he was ready to go. That isn't normal for goalies, especially after a long layoff.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It is interesting to see how well the Bills have done over the years at preventing injuries. At first I thought it was luck, but as the tweet in the OP mentions- they've been great at preventing injuries for three years now, so perhaps it's more than luck?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

I don't think NHL players put the same emphasis on stretching and flexibility as NFL players do. It's understandable given the schedule. I suspect that's the most contributing factor to higher injury rates.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think NHL players put the same emphasis on stretching and flexibility as NFL players do. It's understandable given the schedule. I suspect that's the most contributing factor to higher injury rates.

I know that near the end of his playing days, James Patrick was working with someone personally on that very thing.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
NHL preparation is kicking a soccer ball to eachother for 15 mins.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
or riding a bike.
pilates, yoga, tai chi... pick one; f***ing do something for flexibility!

The circle stretch with the rotating guy in the middle isn't enough?

Honestly, today's players do way more mobility and flexibility work than guys did back in the day. If I had to guess, it may be more about the S&C staff not being "hockey specific" enough, maybe some issues with the athletic training staff, and perhaps a bit about the players not being completely professional when it comes to ongoing rest and recovery and the rehab process.

But, that is all just spitballing from the cheap seats.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I mentioned it here once before but one of the selling points of that Bills performance and training center is that the Sabres were supposed to have full access. To me that was a big advantage of the Pegulas owning both teams. Hopefully they can take advantage if they aren't already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad