Tribute Adam Larsson Appreciation Thread

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Wherever you go, there you are. We all have experienced tragedy at some point and the solution is not to try to outrun it and avoid facing it by moving to a new city.
Not trying to downplay what he went through, but it is pretty clear that there were a lot more reasons behind him wanting to leave than just the passing of his father, reasons that he wouldn’t wilfully disclose to the city and the fans who he said that he loved. There must have been interpersonal stuff going on, or maybe he just didn’t like Edmonton and wanted to play in a more glitzy town.

His father died here suddenly and unexpectedly. He has a lot of painful memories that living and playing here triggers. It’s a fresh start for him in a new city.

For the life of me I do not understand why people can’t take what Larsson is saying at face value.

Especially coming from you who got so offended when I called Cassie a cow.

Maybe give Larsson some credit and accept what he says.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Appreciation threads are never unwarranted. Teams toss players aside all the time whether they've been loyal or not but when players do it they get vilified. Once again people can't separate the people from the job.
This is a good point, not even considering the what's and why's of the situation.

I also don't know about him screwing them over, should he have been shipped out at the TD? I doubt that was even an option for either Holland or Larsson considering the team was comfortably in a playoff position. Despite if any intentions were clear at the time.

Reactions: North and GOilers88

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
This is a good point, not even considering the what's and why's of the situation.

I also don't know about him screwing them over, should he have been shipped out at the TD? I doubt that was even an option for either Holland or Larsson considering the team was comfortably in a playoff position. Despite if any intentions were clear at the time.
No, but at least Holland would've known he needed that top 4 D. You go into the off seasons with a plan and knowing what you have.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
No, but at least Holland would've known he needed that top 4 D. You go into the off seasons with a plan and knowing what you have.
Not sure if it is/was as easy as that. If it was clear cut from the get go I am not sure why he would have gone into negotiations with Holland in the first place? And in any case Larsson was an UFA, that means that of course nothing was certain. Because of UFAs I don't think any team goes into the off season knowing exactly what they have tbh.

In any case, my reply was mainly to the first point. Maybe I should have removed the latter part since it kind of ruins that point by doing the opposite.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
it makes me so angry that people thought fans were to blame for Larsson's departure.

f*** kurt leavins

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I just wanna say that it always seemed clear that Lars was seriously affected by his father’s death here and his struggles afterwards were somewhat obvious. That was a factor in me really getting behind him in the end when he turned it around. I would imagine his battle through adversity and ability to come out and lead the team physically and even defensively after Klefbom went down was surely noticed by the other players in the room and deserves mention. That is real leadership. I thought he was ready to bleed copper and blue and I thought the organization was going to build on that foundation and make him part of the core for life. I understand that it was a tough decision for him and it wasn’t entirely in our realm of control, but I was ready to root for him hard. He earned that logo as an Oiler, so we can’t be mad at him, but it is very disappointing to think of what might still have been to come. As much as I hope he has happiness and success I also sort of hope he comes to regret this decision on some level. Best of luck to everyone turning the page (including Holland with his bet on Ceci).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
it makes me so angry that people thought fans were to blame for Larsson's departure.

f*** kurt leavins
Meh, it wouldn't surprise me if the fans got to him too. Even if he won't say it publicly. It can't feel good to constantly hear fans talking about how you were the main piece coming back in the worst trade ever.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I just wanna say that it always seemed clear that Lars was seriously affected by his father’s death here and his struggles afterwards were somewhat obvious. That was a factor in me really getting behind him in the end when he turned it around. I would imagine his battle through adversity and ability to come out and lead the team physically and even defensively after Klefbom went down was surely noticed by the other players in the room and deserves mention. That is real leadership. I thought he was ready to bleed copper and blue and I thought the organization was going to build on that foundation and make him part of the core for life. I understand that it was a tough decision for him and it wasn’t entirely in our realm of control, but I was ready to root for him hard. He earned that logo as an Oiler, so we can’t be mad at him, but it is very disappointing to think of what might still have been to come. As much as I hope he has happiness and success I also sort of hope he comes to regret this decision on some level. Best of luck to everyone turning the page (including Holland with his bet on Ceci).
This is a great post, and I agree 100%.

Let's just hope that it doesn't work out in Seattle for him and he decides to ask for a trade back here. I know, won't happen given what we know now, but it sure would have been nice to roll into the season with him playing beside Keith like we all thought was going to happen.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

f*** kurt leavins
Canadian fanbases and their local media are f***in ruthless when it comes to players and talking shit about them. Maybe it's not solely why guys want to leave, but I do think it plays a part in those decisions.

There's probably a few good reasons why so many players absolutely don't want to play in Canada and that includes Canadian born players.

I'm sure some people will chock it all up to money, but I don't think that's the sole reason. Our media and talking heads are so quick to heap massive amounts of hype and pressure on teams and players and then when those ridiculously high expectations aren't met they flip the script and rip the shit out of them. Fans do it too. You see it on these forums everyday.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
This is a great post, and I agree 100%.

Let's just hope that it doesn't work out in Seattle for him and he decides to ask for a trade back here. I know, won't happen given what we know now, but it sure would have been nice to roll into the season with him playing beside Keith like we all thought was going to happen.
not sure why he would only focus on the negative fans. there are a big portion of the fans which gave him unconditional support even when he played horrible.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He knew that he might have that problem. Holland even said that he had the offer out for a long time to Larsson. He had to know that if it wasn't signed, there was a good chance he was leaving. It doesn't change much in all actuality. It might even have been part of the reason we had interest in Keith. If Holland was unsure if Larsson was coming back, it's better to bring for a player to anchor the 2nd pair than have to either sign two 2nd pair guys via free agency and risk not filling those spots, or play with young guys who haven't earned the spot, like we had to with Jones and Lagesson last season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wherever you go, there you are. We all have experienced tragedy at some point and the solution is not to try to outrun it and avoid facing it by moving to a new city.
Not trying to downplay what he went through, but it is pretty clear that there were a lot more reasons behind him wanting to leave than just the passing of his father, reasons that he wouldn’t wilfully disclose to the city and the fans who he said that he loved. There must have been interpersonal stuff going on, or maybe he just didn’t like Edmonton and wanted to play in a more glitzy town.

Good for you and the people that handle their grief in that manner but that wasn't how Larsson wanted to handle his grief so why question what another man wants to do with his life?

Also, he said that his father's passing had a lot to do with him moving him on to a new place for a fresh start and he also said that he enjoyed his time here and the people so why are you drumming up a narrative based on your own feelings and not what the man actually said? Why not just leave it at that? I don't get it.

Also, Seattle a "glitzy" town? Surely you jest. Seattle is a beautiful city IMO, but it's certainly not glitzy.

Last edited:

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Canadian fanbases and their local media are f***in ruthless when it comes to players and talking shit about them. Maybe it's not solely why guys want to leave, but I do think it plays a part in those decisions.

There's probably a few good reasons why so many players absolutely don't want to play in Canada and that includes Canadian born players.

I'm sure some people will chock it all up to money, but I don't think that's the sole reason. Our media and talking heads are so quick to heap massive amounts of hype and pressure on teams and players and then when those ridiculously high expectations aren't met they flip the script and rip the shit out of them. Fans do it too. You see it on these forums everyday.
same can be said for every sport, every fanbase, every platform.

not sure why people think this its a local issue

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
not sure why he would only focus on the negative fans. there are a big portion of the fans which gave him unconditional support even when he played horrible.
Because the negative fans scream louder, and because for a lot of people, it takes a lot of positive comments to drown out a single negative one.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
same can be said for every sport, every fanbase, every platform.

not sure why people think this its a local issue
I disagree. There's lots of American markets where players can do their thing with a level of anonymity they can't get in Canada.

I don't mean strictly an Edmonton thing. I mean Canadian hockey fans and Canadian hockey media compared to that of the US.

I've followed the Blue Jays my whole life and I don't think they have the same level of scrutiny that hockey players have here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The pay they make has no bearing on their right to make personal decisions. Good for you that you stayed in a job a major life crisis. People are allowed to make different choices than you.

Of course they are. Didn't say different. In anycase I have no interest in continuing a discussion which has upset others and seems very contentious. Its odd to me because a lot of people were hard on Lucic, and his circumstance was similar, losing his father. A lot of people here threw Barrie under the train everry day saying he's just here for the money, just here to parlay it to next contract ect. Barrie was dragged through the mud here in countless threads, GDT's PGT's. Seems like theres some different standard for different players.

In anycase the comments were made August 1st. This is a resurrected thread. Statements have been posted the last 24hrs that I was certainly not privy to. Certainly I'll consider the newer statements and information on the what and why.

My opinion is just that. People are allowed to have differing opinions and nothing I stated was unreasonable or inappropriate. This thread was bumped because of discussion last night. The reality is several other posters are going to bring this up probably everytime Seattle comes to town. Right or wrong, no matter how people feel about it. But I stopped posting in the thread last night and I would intend to do the same here except you were replying to me in multiple posts made August 1st.

cheers.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Without hopefully getting drug into anything I feel I have to toss in my 2 cents.

As a person I have the greatest sympathy for Larsson and his family. They deserve our regards and understanding.

As a fan I am very disappointed in how he played for us. I actually don't even care that he decided to leave... because I don't believe he played as well as he should have while here for whatever reason.

I followed Larsson prior to him coming here and was excited when we acquired him. He was considered NJD best defenseman, trending upward, and in a sweet heart contract. He technically was not worth Taylor Hall but he was a better defenseman than any UFA available and the difference was never as big as many like to believe.

Outside of one good year he was a disappointment. I watched him internationally and he always looked so much better than he did on the Oilers as well.

As a fan I can say that Larsson was a disappointment. As a person I wish him all the best.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
And sometimes an effective method to deal with tragedy is to shed certain aspects of one’s life that create roadblocks to healing. I’m not a therapist so am not qualified to say whether Adams approach is the best way to deal with the mental anguish that his father’s untimely death created in his life. Only he will know if it worked. Sorry to see him leave, but I hope he finds the positiveness that he deserves and the success he is capable of. Other posters have suggested they hope his move to Seattle doesn’t work out and he comes back. I cant hope for someone to fail. I hope he heals and thrives.

Reactions: barry halls

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Larsson had two fantastic years here. A warrior.

With the new cross checking enforcement he’s going to be a liability this season so it was probably best for both parties to move on.

Reactions: ZJuice

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Oiler fans: "He wants to play in a different city because Edmonton reminds him of his Dad's unexpected passing? Hurr durr, what a wimp, blah blah blah.

Also Oiler fans: "Why don't players want to sign here?????"

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
His father died here suddenly and unexpectedly. He has a lot of painful memories that living and playing here triggers. It’s a fresh start for him in a new city.

For the life of me I do not understand why people can’t take what Larsson is saying at face value.

Especially coming from you who got so offended when I called Cassie a cow.

Maybe give Larsson some credit and accept what he says.

That's a really strange comparison to make, I didn't say anything spiteful or hateful about Larsson whatsoever. I perceive a term like that, being directed towards a woman, as being rooted in misogyny.

It's odd how it seems okay for men here to spew vitriol towards one of the few women working in the game, who also happens to be a highly decorated hockey player and a credit to our country, but god forbid I simply speculate on the motives of a very rich male leaving his team when the last we heard from him was that he loves the team, loves the city, loves the fans, and wants to stay, simply suggesting that I think there is more to it than what we are being told. Why would he give us the full face-value truth anyway? He doesn't owe that to Mark Spector, and certainly not to any of us. I'm sure he's made peace with the other leaders on his former team and I wish him well.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

I think the pandemic lockdowns and border restrictions are what messed things up for him trying to deal with his personal stuff.

Being locked up in the bubbles, not being able to go home, or have relatives come see you and support you in person, quarantines etc. Add all those things up together and thatd be rough on anybody. No matter how much support you may get in that situation from teammates, coworkers n fans, it's never the same as family being there with you.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That's a really strange comparison to make, I didn't say anything spiteful or hateful about Larsson whatsoever. I perceive a term like that, being directed towards a woman, as being rooted in misogyny.

It's odd how it seems okay for men here to spew vitriol towards one of the few women working in the game, who also happens to be a highly decorated hockey player and a credit to our country, but god forbid I simply speculate on the motives of a very rich male leaving his team when the last we heard from him was that he loves the team, loves the city, loves the fans, and wants to stay, simply suggesting that I think there is more to it than what we are being told. Why would he give us the full face-value truth anyway? He doesn't owe that to Mark Spector, and certainly not to any of us. I'm sure he's made peace with the other leaders on his former team and I wish him well.

Believe what you want about Larsson. I think it’s sheer ignorance to not believe his own words and egotistical of you to think you know more about Larsson than what’s been reported directly from Larsson’s own words.

Your employing a massive double standard.

“Cassie can say what she wants but Larsson is a lying piece of shit”.

Reactions: Marty McSurly

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Meh, it wouldn't surprise me if the fans got to him too. Even if he won't say it publicly. It can't feel good to constantly hear fans talking about how you were the main piece coming back in the worst trade ever.
That wasn't even the worst trade of that offseason for the Oilers.

Reactions: Marty McSurly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad