Player Discussion: Adam Fantilli

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Can we send him to cleveland...you know...for a rehab assignment in 8 weeks...shouldn't effect a calder chase IMO

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So season ending I'm suppose.

Can we send him to cleveland...you know...for a rehab assignment in 8 weeks...shouldn't effect a calder chase IMO

I don't see why we wouldn't just have him finish the season in Cleveland. Go on a Calder Cup run.

Hopefully it works out for him like it did for Werenski, Anderson, Bjorkstrand, etc... back in 2016.

It also wouldn't be bad to go to the World Championships with Team Canada. One of those things will give him a nice end to the season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't see why we wouldn't just have him finish the season in Cleveland. Go on a Calder Cup run.
Don’t think they’d be allowed to put him on the reserve list since he’s on IR. But if they can, I agree he should go. As should Dumais (if he can), Mateychuk, and Jiricek

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If ready before the NHL season ends I suspect he won’t want to go to the AHL. If I’m Fantilli and the club wants me to go to Cleveland for more than a 2-3 game rehab assignment I’d say FU. Why do ELC guys not want to be in Cleveland? It’s a business and it’s money. Why would I want to be in the AHL making 10% of what I make in the NHL When I know I’m an NHL player….Now if the Jackets season is done, I’ll go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If ready before the NHL season ends I suspect he won’t want to go to the AHL. If I’m Fantilli and the club wants me to go to Cleveland for more than a 2-3 game rehab assignment I’d say FU. Why do ELC guys not want to be in Cleveland? It’s a business and it’s money. Why would I want to be in the AHL making 10% of what I make in the NHL When I know I’m an NHL player….Now if the Jackets season is done, I’ll go.
I'm assuming you mean literally not figuratively...:sarcasm:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Fantilli going to the AHL is so absurd that it doesn't warrant discussion. Winning a Calder Cup for a guy like him would have been like Tom Brady winning a Grey Cup.

Fantilli has nothing-absolutely nothing-to learn at the AHL level. Even if Cleveland is chasing a Calder, Fantilli is healthy and the CBJ season is over, it isn't worth going there. For injury risk if nothing else. A player like Fantilli should never wear an AHL sweater for any reason (rehab assignment included) during his career. Ever.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Fantilli going to the AHL is so absurd that it doesn't warrant discussion. Winning a Calder Cup for a guy like him would have been like Tom Brady winning a Grey Cup.

Fantilli has nothing-absolutely nothing-to learn at the AHL level. Even if Cleveland is chasing a Calder, Fantilli is healthy and the CBJ season is over, it isn't worth going there. For injury risk if nothing else. A player like Fantilli should never wear an AHL sweater for any reason (rehab assignment included) during his career. Ever.
While I’m almost inclined to agree with you for the simple potential injury concerns, with the entire atmosphere around the organization or CBJ team at the moment, having him go down and play with a team with a positive atmosphere AND IN GAMES THAT ACTUALLY MATTER, could actually be extremely beneficial to him at this point.

Hell, this is a guy that some/many could see as a potential future captain of the team. There’s many different “leadership” qualities he could learn or develop in a situation like this. I’m not sure how you could say it would be such a bad thing after the Werenski/Bjorkstrands/etc of the past in this similar situation.

He’s good enough and smart enough that he wouldn’t need to go down and play reckless in order to be effective, and they wouldn’t need to put him in front of the net and have guy’s firing shots at him. He’s at a young enough age that he could absolutely learn or gain from things by going down there for a playoff run. IMO. I’d say the same thing for Bedard.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
While I’m almost inclined to agree with you for the simple potential injury concerns, with the entire atmosphere around the organization or CBJ team at the moment, having him go down and play with a team with a positive atmosphere AND IN GAMES THAT ACTUALLY MATTER, could actually be extremely beneficial to him at this point.

Hell, this is a guy that some/many could see as a potential future captain of the team. There’s many different “leadership” qualities he could learn or develop in a situation like this. I’m not sure how you could say it would be such a bad thing after the Werenski/Bjorkstrands/etc of the past in this similar situation.

He’s good enough and smart enough that he wouldn’t need to go down and play reckless in order to be effective, and they wouldn’t need to put him in front of the net and have guy’s firing shots at him. He’s at a young enough age that he could absolutely learn or gain from things by going down there for a playoff run. IMO. I’d say the same thing for Bedard.
I get what you are saying. However, I've never seen a top 3 pick who is performing well in the NHL get sent to the minors with the idea of them improving their game.

Fantilli can learn a ton by being in an environment that is a flaming trash heap. He's been in plenty of positive environments-Michigan, Canada junior elite World Championship teams-and he played for the big team in the World Championships last season. This season may serve to really be formative for him as a pro as an example of NOT WHAT TO DO as a leader/teammate/coach/GM.

Sometimes, a negative experience can be as good as a building block as a positive one. It can light an internal fire for him to WANT to be the guy who leads this mess of a franchise out of the wilderness.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I get what you are saying. However, I've never seen a top 3 pick who is performing well in the NHL get sent to the minors with the idea of them improving their game.

Fantilli can learn a ton by being in an environment that is a flaming trash heap. He's been in plenty of positive environments-Michigan, Canada junior elite World Championship teams-and he played for the big team in the World Championships last season. This season may serve to really be formative for him as a pro as an example of NOT WHAT TO DO as a leader/teammate/coach/GM.

Sometimes, a negative experience can be as good as a building block as a positive one. It can light an internal fire for him to WANT to be the guy who leads this mess of a franchise out of the wilderness.
And maybe a nineteen year old might want the opportunity to contribute toward winning a championship and get some hardware even if it's "just" the minors. I don't get the impression that Fantilli himself thinks he's too good for things, and I can't see any player turning down the opportunity to win a trophy, even if it's in a minor league they'd normally be playing above.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
And maybe a nineteen year old might want the opportunity to contribute toward winning a championship and get some hardware even if it's "just" the minors. I don't get the impression that Fantilli himself thinks he's too good for things, and I can't see any player turning down the opportunity to win a trophy, even if it's in a minor league they'd normally be playing above.
if he's on IR they can't paper him to the minors though, right?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I also get what you are saying. Only thing I really contest is that he would be going down to “improve his game”.

It would quite literally simply be for “experience” that could very well be very beneficial NOW instead of him gaining these things farther down the line in real time, while experiencing postseason play or a playoff berth battle at the end of an NHL season, that we have no idea when it could or will happen. He very well could learn how to be in a shitty situation again NEXT year with the CBJ.

Not sure if we’re both right or wrong. Ahh, who am I kidding, yes I do.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
if he's on IR they can't paper him to the minors though, right?
No, they can't. I know there's a drop dead date of AHL postseason eligibility, and I'm not sure how a player being on the NHL IR affects that. I'm talking entirely about the AHL playoffs in my paragraph, btw. Not regular season games.

Reactions: CBJx614

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Show me an example of a player of his caliber, performance and draft position who went to the minors. There may be some but I can't think of any offhand.

I hope he feels that he's too good for the minors. That wouldn't be an unhealthy thing in his case. I will note that I'm a long time STH of a low level minor league team and I think the world of the ECHL. That being said, some players need to be in the minors and others don't. Fantilli is in the "don't" category.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It would quite literally simply be for “experience” that could very well be very beneficial NOW instead of him gaining these things farther down the line in real time, while experiencing postseason play or a playoff berth battle at the end of an NHL season, that we have no idea when it could or will happen. He very well could learn how to be in a shitty situation again NEXT year with the CBJ.

Not sure if we’re both right or wrong. Ahh, who am I kidding, yes I do.
The bolded is a very distinct possibility unfortunately. Still don't see any high end benefit for him going the "A".

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Show me an example of a player of his caliber, performance and draft position who went to the minors. There may be some but I can't think of any offhand.

I hope he feels that he's too good for the minors. That wouldn't be an unhealthy thing in his case. I will note that I'm a long time STH of a low level minor league team and I think the world of the ECHL. That being said, some players need to be in the minors and others don't. Fantilli is in the "don't" category.
You’re arguing very passionately against something that no one is saying. No one is saying it’s for his development. The playoffs are not development even in the ECHL.

Reactions: CBJx614

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You’re arguing very passionately against something that no one is saying. No one is saying it’s for his development. The playoffs are not development even in the ECHL.
If it's not for his development then why in the world would you send a potential franchise player down to the minors? In the absence of "development" it makes zero sense.

And you didn't answer my question about a similar player being sent down.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Leaving aside the eligibility question...

I do think an AHL playoff run would be for Adam's development. I am saying that. I'm not saying it is better than playing in say, the NHL playoffs, but we're going to have a hard time making that happen. The kid is just missing two months of game action, there's only a couple weeks of regular season left after that, I think he's in shape to play more and an AHL run would be better than not playing.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Rookie year or any point like Ryan Johansen ? Top pick rookie year only will be hard to find because the player will either have to be on the NHL roster or their CHL team in many cases, due to age.

Eric Staal for instance put up 30 points his rookie year (6th on team), then when he turned 19 he was sent down and had a PPG season in the AHL. Next season with the Canes he had 100 points.

For Fantilli, I’d probably prefer that he just trains once the season is over, but AHL playoffs probably could not hurt him in any way.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Rookie year or any point like Ryan Johansen ? Top pick rookie year only will be hard to find because the player will either have to be on the NHL roster or their CHL team in many cases, due to age.

Eric Staal for instance put up 30 points his rookie year (6th on team), then when he turned 19 he was sent down and had a PPG season in the AHL. Next season with the Canes he had 100 points.

For Fantilli, I’d probably prefer that he just trains once the season is over, but AHL playoffs probably could not hurt him in any way.
Johansen's career started very slowly. Fantilli's hasn't.

Staal's second season was a lockout year in the NHL. That's why he was in the AHL.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
If it's not for his development then why in the world would you send a potential franchise player down to the minors? In the absence of "development" it makes zero sense.

And you didn't answer my question about a similar player being sent down.
You’re right, of course. No player drafted above… let’s be generous and say fifth overall should ever play in the AHL as it will actively harm their development, especially if it’s playoff atmosphere. Yep.

• Wow
Reactions: Koira

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You’re right, of course. No player drafted above… let’s be generous and say fifth overall should ever play in the AHL as it will actively harm their development, especially if it’s playoff atmosphere. Yep.
Well, that's a real meaningful response. LOL.

Fantilli ain't going to the minors. Nor should he. The notion that a low percentage probability of winning a Calder Cup is somehow going to significantly enhance his career is, well, ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad