Player Discussion: Adam Boqvist discussion

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This criticism sounds eerily similar to the criticisms we all had of our current #1 D in his first few years in the league while he was playing second fiddle to #3..

Not saying that Boqvist will fix all his issues, as he might not have the frame to ever actually do it. But he's still extremely young and has looked much improved from last year or even the beginning of this season.
For one, I was one of those people advocating for Werenski at the time. Werenski was sheltered with zone starts but he was still getting major minutes, and IIRC, was always ahead of jones on the top pp units even as a rookie. A few years ago, Some people wanted to trade him for Tarasenko, for no other reason other than trying to keep panarin. This comparison doesn’t work because our D back then was stacked. This defense is putrid, and it’s not like Boqvist is a shining star on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Bottom line is the problem with Boqvist is not his offensive game, but his defensive game.

And the only reason to put Boqvist on the PP over Werenski, is because we have to currently put Werenski out on the ice as much as possible for every other role, which is another problem in itself.

Bean is 100% better than Boqvist overall, and is completely underrated offensively. He’s looked like our best PP defenseman option at times when given the chance.

Not only Jiricek, but, other than having a different handiness, Mateychuk looks to be another obvious style replacement for Boqvist.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This criticism sounds eerily similar to the criticisms we all had of our current #1 D in his first few years in the league while he was playing second fiddle to #3..

Not saying that Boqvist will fix all his issues, as he might not have the frame to ever actually do it. But he's still extremely young and has looked much improved from last year or even the beginning of this season.

I think that's a poor comparison. 19 year old Werenski had some issues but he was better defensively than current Boqvist is. The problem isn't even on the same scale for me.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think that's a poor comparison. 19 year old Werenski had some issues but he was better defensively than current Boqvist is. The problem isn't even on the same scale for me.
A lot of that is the role Werenski played that year , on a team that gave up the 2nd least goals in the nhl . The support in place surrounded by good veteran defenders . We gave up 192 goals that season . Care to guess how many we have given up this yr ? 191…

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
A lot of that is the role Werenski played that year , on a team that gave up the 2nd least goals in the nhl . The support in place surrounded by good veteran defenders . We gave up 192 goals that season . Care to guess how many we have given up this yr ? 191…

Fire Torts!!

Was Larsen coaching the defense!?!

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Could bring in something nice if the club decides to go that way. I’ve been high on him, but could be an interesting trade chip

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Now that he's starting to show his potential we're going to trade him... I don't think that's a good idea.
If you’re going to trade a guy, that’s exactly when you should trade him.

I’m good to keep him, I feel like I was one of like 3 people here who liked him last year. But we have a lot of D on the way and a lot of them RD. Something has to give there at some point.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If you’re going to trade a guy, that’s exactly when you should trade him.

I’m good to keep him, I feel like I was one of like 3 people here who liked him last year. But we have a lot of D on the way and a lot of them RD. Something has to give there at some point.
Jiříček, Adam and Gudbranson. Peeke isn't a TOP 6 d-man. Adam is better in defense, taking the puck now. So my defense (without trades):

Werenski, Jiříček
Bean, Boqvist
Berni, Gudbranson

Mateychuk, Svozil, Kňažko have a time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jiříček, Adam and Gudbranson. Peeke isn't a TOP 6 d-man. Adam is better in defense, taking the puck now. So my defense (without trades):

Werenski, Jiříček
Bean, Boqvist
Berni, Gudbranson

Mateychuk, Svozil, Kňažko have a time.

Who is playing the hard minutes - defensive zone starts against the better opponents?

Gudbranson can't do it. Boqvist can't do it. We surely can't make a rookie like Jiricek do it. Blanks can't do it.

It might be best to keep Boqvist but one possible corollary of that decision would be that it is best to keep Jiricek in the minors another year. They would need the same type of easy minutes, at least until they get another year or maturity.

Or perhaps they can both play more neutral minutes but the other RD would have to be Peeke not Gudbranson. And ideally a partner for Peeke who has shutdown experience.

Werenski - Boqvist
Orlov/KAM - Peeke
Blanks/Bean - Jiricek

Reactions: tunnelvision

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Who is playing the hard minutes - defensive zone starts against the better opponents?

Gudbranson can't do it. Boqvist can't do it. We surely can't make a rookie like Jiricek do it. Blanks can't do it.

It might be best to keep Boqvist but one possible corollary of that decision would be that it is best to keep Jiricek in the minors another year. They would need the same type of easy minutes, at least until they get another year or maturity.

Or perhaps they can both play more neutral minutes but the other RD would have to be Peeke not Gudbranson. And ideally a partner for Peeke who has shutdown experience.

Werenski - Boqvist
Orlov/KAM - Peeke
Blanks/Bean - Jiricek
Peeke can play. The question, how.
Gudbranson will play, I know it, you know it, so the roster without him can't be.
Yes, Jiříček should probably play in the third pair first but maybe we could try him with Werenski.
I wrote without trades.
KAM? I doubt we can get him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Peeke can play. The question, how.
Gudbranson will play, I know it, you know it, so the roster without him can't be.
Yes, Jiříček should probably play in the third pair first but maybe we could try him with Werenski.
I wrote without trades.
KAM? I doubt we can get him.

So you think next year that our FO will choose to have the three RD be Jiricek, Boqvist, and Gudbranson? Three players that need to be sheltered? And you're the realistic one?

If that's realism, I want a new front office.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I for one am fine if Jiricek plays another year in the AHL along with Ceulemans. Keep Boqvist unless hes part of an upgrade like Boqvist+ Gavrikov return for Chychrun for example

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
So you think next year that our FO will choose to have the three RD be Jiricek, Boqvist, and Gudbranson? Three players that need to be sheltered? And you're the realistic one?

If that's realism, I want a new front office.
I'm counting on Jiříček being given a chance, Gudbranson will play, and Peeke, while he can play a lot of minutes, isn't that good as a defender. Of course, I would prefer our right side, except Boqvist, to be different. It's just that since we're building a new team, I doubt we'll be strengthening it.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I for one am fine if Jiricek plays another year in the AHL along with Ceulemans. Keep Boqvist unless hes part of an upgrade like Boqvist+ Gavrikov return for Chychrun for example

I think it would be reasonable if Jiricek only makes the team if he is able to take minutes from Boqvist or Gudbranson. He isn't taking Peeke's job, we shouldn't do that to a rookie D that age.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Personally I don’t discount the possibility that we have a ton of righties next year. Not ideal but could be nice trade chips

Werenski-Peeke
Blankenburg-Boqvist
Jiricek-Gudbranson
Bean

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Personally I don’t discount the possibility that we have a ton of righties next year. Not ideal but could be nice trade chips

That's one possibility, but when you pencil it out it looks like we'd need to upgrade at veteran top 4 anyways. So we might as well get an LD upgrade.

Werenski-Peeke
Blankenburg-Boqvist
Jiricek-Gudbranson
Bean

Werenski - Peeke would be our shutdown pair in this scenario. I'm fine with that.

In this no acquisitions hypothetical I'd go:

Werenski - Peeke
Blanks - Jiricek
Bean - Boqvist

Blanks and Boqy need to play with someone bigger and Jiricek with someone better than Guddy, and to start on his natural side.

I'm not okay with going without a top 4 upgrade.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think it would be reasonable if Jiricek only makes the team if he is able to take minutes from Boqvist or Gudbranson. He isn't taking Peeke's job, we shouldn't do that to a rookie D that age.
Ive never cared about prospects vs current roster players. I care about prospects vs their potential, especially defensemen. People suck at evaluating young defensemen in the NHL and have even turned on guys like Dahlin and Hedman.

Could he be good enough to crack a near last place teams defense? Probably. Will he excel and help his development? Probably not.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Will he excel and help his development? Probably not.

I think there's a good chance that playing in the NHL next year suits Jiricek's development just fine.

I think he'll need easy minutes, something in the 16-18 minute range with some PP time.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
For reference I am also not okay with going into next season with those D pairings but it’s kinda hard to project us getting another guy lol. I’m sure we can, just easier to use names we already know rather than projecting

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad