Player Discussion: Adam Boqvist discussion

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
That's one possibility, but when you pencil it out it looks like we'd need to upgrade at veteran top 4 anyways. So we might as well get an LD upgrade.

Werenski - Peeke would be our shutdown pair in this scenario. I'm fine with that.

In this no acquisitions hypothetical I'd go:

Werenski - Peeke
Blanks - Jiricek
Bean - Boqvist

Blanks and Boqy need to play with someone bigger and Jiricek with someone better than Guddy, and to start on his natural side.

I'm not okay with going without a top 4 upgrade.

My guess, assuming no deals, is

Werenski - Peeke
Bean - Gudbranson
Blanks - Boqvist
Berni

Jiricek in the AHL but also called up when there are injuries

If Blanks is injured:

Werenski - Peeke
Bean - Jiricek
Gudbranson - Boqvist
Berni

Let Ceulemans play in Cleveland the whole year. Jiricek and Ceulemans pairing with Christiansen, Knazko, and Dillon Simpson next year would not be a bad thing, with Jiricek maybe getting 30+ NHL games too. Maybe trade Peeke or Boqvist (whomever has more value) at the deadline next season. Do something similar the next year where Ceulemans and Knazko are the guys between Cleveland and Columbus. Trade the other one of Peeke/Boqvist at the deadline in 2025. That gets a long way towards something like:

Werenski - Jiricek
Knazko - Ceulemans
Mateychuk - Gudbranson/Blankenburg/someone else

in the future.
Berni

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Maybe he's played his way in to being an acceptable "swap poor fit flyer guys" trade? I'm not sure though, it seems our FO thinks Boqvist has extraordinary potential

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Môj odhad, za predpokladu, že žiadne obchody, je

Werenski - Peeke
Bean - Gudbranson
Blanks - Boqvist
Berni

Jiříček v AHL, ale aj povolaný, keď sú zranenia

Ak je Blanks zranený:

Werenski - Peeke
Bean - Jiříček
Gudbranson - Boqvist
Berni

Nechajte Ceulemans hrať v Clevelande celý rok. Párovanie Jiriceka a Ceulemansa s Christiansenom, Knažkom a Dillonom Simpsonom na budúci rok by nebolo zlé. Možno vymení Peekea alebo Boqvista (kto má väčšiu hodnotu) v termíne budúcej sezóny. Urobte niečo podobné budúci rok, kde sú Ceulemans a Knazko chlapci medzi Clevelandom a Columbusom. Vymeňte druhého Peeke/Boqvista v termíne v roku 2025. To vedie k niečomu takémuto:

Werenski - Jiríček
Kňazko - Ceulemans
Mateychuk - Gudbranson/Blankenburg/niekto iný

v budúcnosti.
Berni
You forgot Svozil.

Reactions: Xoggz22

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe he's played his way in to being an acceptable "swap poor fit flyer guys" trade? I'm not sure though, it seems our FO thinks Boqvist has extraordinary potential
If he continues playing at nearly a PPG pace for the rest of the season, he's not getting traded.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If he continues playing at nearly a PPG pace for the rest of the season, he's not getting traded.
Why would point totals determine his trade status? He's getting light minutes on 5v5 and has been QB'ing PP1. On a role like that it's not that special to be able to rack up points. Not saying he's bad and hasn't improved, but still far away from being untouchable as far as I'm concerned.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Why would point totals determine his trade status? He's getting light minutes on 5v5 and has been QB'ing PP1. On a role like that it's not that special to be able to rack up points. Not saying he's bad and hasn't improved, but still far away from being untouchable as far as I'm concerned.
Because he's 4th on the team in points/GP when you factor out those who have played less than 20 games and he's running that PP better than our current #1.

I'm not saying he's untouchable, for a major upgrade, sure. But I don't think Jarmo will want to move all asset who is trending upwards from an area of weakness. He's finally showing that offensive skill now that we've all been waiting to see. Now similar to Roslovic last season, is it just a late season run where everything seems to go right or will he be able to keep it going into next season? It would be awesome if he could take that next step and become a little more stable/consistent/healthy and become a leader on that weak blueline, although I will say that last part is extremely unlikely.

But that's what Jarmo has to determine. If he thinks Boqvist is gonna plateau and never take that next step, move him for what we can get and move on. But I don't think we have enough depth behind him to take that chance. Werenski is the only reliable guy on that blueline. Boqvist, Blanks and Bean can't stay healthy enough to ever get anything going. Peeke is still growing as a player and has his ups and downs. Berni, Beyreuther and Christiansen belong in the AHL and Guddy is Guddy. We can't/won't/shouldn't rely on Jiricek next season.

This D really needs at least one or two other reliable veteran types..

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm not saying that Boqvist is untouchable but I do find the discussion about who between Werenski and Jiricek will be quarterbacking the powerplay in 2 years a bit myopic. We have to include Boqvist in that discussion and, if his production is more efficient than Werenski's, he should honestly take that spot from Werenski.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm not saying that Boqvist is untouchable but I do find the discussion about who between Werenski and Jiricek will be quarterbacking the powerplay in 2 years a bit myopic. We have to include Boqvist in that discussion and, if his production is more efficient than Werenski's, he should honestly take that spot from Werenski.
I was thinking about this last night, like... What do you do in that situation?

"Hey Z, I know you're kinda the leader here and you're kinda the face of the team but uh, were gonna put Boqy at PP1, and Jiricek at PP2... But we're gonna give you heavy 5v5 and PK minutes cool?!"

Or maybe we put him in that rover position and let him kinda play both offense and defense?!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah there is no chance Werenski isn’t on PP1 next year.

Now they could put Boqvist up with him and run an old fashioned 2 D PP but I don’t anticipate that happening either

Reactions: CBJx614

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

"Hey Z, I know you're kinda the leader here and you're kinda the face of the team but uh, were gonna put Boqy at PP1, and Jiricek at PP2... But we're gonna give you heavy 5v5 and PK minutes cool?!"

Or maybe we put him in that rover position and let him kinda play both offense and defense?!
It'd be more like "Hey Z, our Powerplay is more productive with Boqvist than you."

Then you carry on whatever you were doing.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Do we need to assume this even if the coaching staff changes? New coach might look at the roster and say for example "we lack quality top-of-umbrella defensemen for PP1, let's give 5F unit a try instead".

It's very difficult for me to picture Boqvist or Werenski running the PP from the point in 24/25.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Simple, Werenski is off the top unit. There shouldn't be any need to massage egos. He's a mature pro.

This strikes me as a strange assumption. I could see them giving Werenski another chance to QB the top unit but if he continues to get worse results, then they'll probably try something else.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Now they could put Boqvist up with him and run an old fashioned 2 D PP but I don’t anticipate that happening either
Not sure I agree . Boquist is already better at running the powerplay . Werenski is clumsy with his puck control, and doesn’t move the puck as well . Zac , I’m sure will get the first crack at it, but to me , Boquist has much higher offensive upside, the power play looks remarkably better with him running it

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This strikes me as a strange assumption. I could see them giving Werenski another chance to QB the top unit but if he continues to get worse results, then they'll probably try something else.
Werenski makes 8.8 million in cap space. He will get every possible chance and then some to be on the top PP unit. Same way Elvis will walk into next season as the #1 goalie regardless of how he looks in preseason and camp.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Jovavic

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

It'd be more like "Hey Z, our Powerplay is more productive with Boqvist than you."

Then you carry on whatever you were doing.

Do we need to assume this even if the coaching staff changes? New coach might look at the roster and say for example "we lack quality top-of-umbrella defensemen for PP1, let's give 5F unit a try instead".

It's very difficult for me to picture Boqvist or Werenski running the PP from the point in 24/25.

Simple, Werenski is off the top unit. There shouldn't be any need to massage egos. He's a mature pro.

Not sure I agree . Boquist is already better at running the powerplay . Werenski is clumsy with his puck control, and doesn’t move the puck as well . Zac , I’m sure will get the first crack at it, but to me , Boquist has much higher offensive upside, the power play looks remarkably better with him running it
Guess that'll be the first big test for Larsen/*Insert New Coach Here* next season. I'd love to see

Marchenko
Laine -Jenner-Gaudreau
Jiricek

Johnson
Chinakov - Voronkov/Texier - Bedard
Boqvist

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Werenski makes 8.8 million in cap space. He will get every possible chance and then some to be on the top PP unit. Same way Elvis will walk into next season as the #1 goalie regardless of how he looks in preseason and camp.

You're right that he gets extra chance and then some to be #1QB, and in fact he has had years of opportunity in that job, and it has largely gone poorly. Time is running out.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

My goal is to win a cup and I think we should be focused on that. Individual production from a smaller offensive-oriented defenseman means nothing to me. I think this is what a good young defense looks like, and this would be my goal. You can have an Adam Fox, but you also have a K’Andre Miller. I don’t know that having both Boqvist and Mateychuk (and Blankenburg) is the path to a Cup.

1676837845048.png

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
My goal is to win a cup and I think we should be focused on that. Individual production from a smaller offensive-oriented defenseman means nothing to me. I think this is what a good young defense looks like, and this would be my goal. You can have an Adam Fox, but you also have a K’Andre Miller. I don’t know that having both Boqvist and Mateychuk (and Blankenburg) is the path to a Cup.

View attachment 653101
I'm not factoring in Mateychuk into CBJs NHL plans for at least 2 seasons. Plenty of time to figure out what to do with Boqvist/Blankenberg

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'm not factoring in Mateychuk into CBJs NHL plans for at least 2 seasons. Plenty of time to figure out what to do with Boqvist/Blankenberg
I am not either, and I also don’t expect to be anywhere near the playoffs during the next two years. If the team thinks Mateychuk can be a top 4 guy, then I trade Boqvist when he has some value. My plan would probably be trade Peeke next year at the deadline and Boqvist at the next deadline when he is hopefully seen as a good PP quarterback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad