Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
I personally don't want that 3rd line but that seems to be the reasoning, and dunno, it could work simply because Chimera and Johansson could do well off the rush together against low quality competition.

You could get more out of both Ovechkin and Backstrom IMO, separating them would be as much for getting Backstrom involved in the play and doing things he doesn't do with Ovechkin, like shoot. Having him be with 2 forecheckers would also let him spend less energy doing puck retrieval stuff and more making plays and shooting. We're using him as a Kozlov/Knuble right now and that's not a good use of his talent.

Grabo is pretty good at pressuring the puck (not just pretty good... our best guy at it) and plays a fast game. Ovechkin/Grabo/Erat would be a fast north-south line with Grabo and Erat both being good along the boards, having playmaking skills and driving the net. On paper it looks like a good complement to Ovechkin, in the Zubrus-Clark/Fedorov-Kozlov mold. Grabo at least shoots more than Backstrom and goes to the net harder, Ovechkin could get some assists there. Ovechkin without Backstrom is automatically more involved. Remember, Oates pretty much made Ovechkin into a turret and Backstrom into a feeder. Separately they'd each have to become more.

For defense just put Urbom or Schmidt in there over Erskine, probably Urbom since Schmidt would require someone waived. That's about as good as we can do with this roster.

Bold 1 - That was generally my reasoning for suggesting that (MoJo with Chimera). Thinking about it more, I might keep Ward there and move Brouwer back up to the second line with Backstrom and Fehr. My concern is that Brouwer generally doesn't create anything by himself and only has a history of producing with skill players (part of the reason I think he and Laich are disastrous offensively together at ES). Johansson isn't doing anything for me as a top 6 wing and not at least trying Erat at his natural position is ridiculous.

Agreed on the Ovi/Backstrom/Grabo part.

Bold 2 - Also agreed, though personally I would roll with Alzner - Green and Orlov - Carlson. I realize that may not be popular as it creates a 2A/2B pairing scenario instead of a 1/2 pairing.

I'm not convinced at all that the players are being put in the best possible position to succeed. And that's slightly more frustrating than any roster deficiencies. But then again, I'm not in the game. Happy NYE all.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Board seems to disagree but by all means keep boxing yourself in. It's fun to watch.

Have you ever considered that bringing in new players AND trying to get more out of the ones we have are not mutually exclusive options? That the very act of bringing in different players would require more of that "line shuffling garbage" you seem to hate?

You've got a warped sense of reality. I'm lapping you and you're talking about boxes and the comments of 3 posters. Funny stuff kid.

Halpysback*

You've got a warped sense of reality. I'm lapping you and you're talking about boxes and the comments of 3 posters. Funny stuff kid.

If getting owned is what the kids call lapping now...

Not one person agrees with you. You could take the hint, or you could keep pretending that it's impossible to want both long and short term changes and that trying to make the lineup perform better is tantamount to accepting that it does not need to be improved. The self-denial on display is quite amusing. Still wondering how you're gonna incorporate those long term acquisitions without "line shuffling garbage" though :laugh:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How about Oates actually utilizes a more aggressive deployment scheme with out lines? You know how you can mask Ovechkin's defensive issues? Start his line in the offensive zone. I'd rather we form a true shutdown line (Chimera-Laich/Beagle-Ward) and give them heavy defensive minutes and give our best offensive players a ton of offensive starts. Vancouver used to do this all the time under Vingeault, and it heavily elevated the Sedins' offensive numbers.

Combine that with taking shorter shifts and I think the results will be significant.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
How about Oates actually utilizes a more aggressive deployment scheme with out lines? You know how you can mask Ovechkin's defensive issues? Start his line in the offensive zone. I'd rather we form a true shutdown line (Chimera-Laich/Beagle-Ward) and give them heavy defensive minutes and give our best offensive players a ton of offensive starts. Vancouver used to do this all the time under Vingeault, and it heavily elevated the Sedins' offensive numbers.

Combine that with taking shorter shifts and I think the results will be significant.

Yes.

Smartest thing I've read in this thread yet (too much bickering). Caps need to flip the script.

BUT. That would entail the cerebral one having to admit his current genius is not working. Chances of that are.......?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes.

Smartest thing I've read in this thread yet (too much bickering). Caps need to flip the script.

BUT. That would entail the cerebral one having to admit his current genius is not working. Chances of that are.......?

"remote"

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yes.

Reminds me of this:
In discussing how he’s evolved as a coach, Boudreau brought up the different styles of Capitals General Managers George McPhee and his counterpart in Anaheim, Bob Murray.

“George is great. I really like George, but Bob Murray is more challenging and in your face as a GM. The things that he will bring up, you’d look over and you’d realize you need to get better at certain things, and I think I’ve gotten better because of it….

“Matchups, matching lines is probably the biggest thing,” he said. “We have personnel to match where I didn’t think in Washington a lot of times we did. It’s one of those things where now we’re doing it all the time; it’s not just once in a blue moon. I used to match lines in the last five games of the year getting ready to go to the playoffs and now we’re matching lines the whole year so it’s going to be a normal thing for them.”
Oates doesn't make decisions in isolation. I don't believe in him and his staff but it's not just them that need to be way better. As long as they bumble along while still in the playoff picture I don't expect much to change. They only feedback they seem to consider is their standings placement. If that hits the skids they're likely to panic and, as seen by past McPhee moves, exercise poor decision-making.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
When George dogged Dale after the year was over, saying, I had no idea he would be this defensive.... that was a head scratcher to me. George is managing the team yet has no idea what his coaches plans are.

How can he find the best players when he doesn't even know the style of play they will roll with.

And Bruce deciding to match lines at the end of the season because the playoffs are approaching.... really. I know he had 3 scoring lines so matching was meh to some extent, but we all knew "matching" was giving the opposition Ovi into their top defense pairing over and over. Bruce basically didn't line match at all, until his final year I believe.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
‏@kcarrera 15m
New forward lines for today’s #Caps practice: 16-84-8, 90-19-20, 25-10-42; 24/21-83/46-43.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
‏@kcarrera 15m
New forward lines for today’s #Caps practice: 16-84-8, 90-19-20, 25-10-42; 24/21-83/46-43.

Fehr would not be my first choice to try as complementary winger to Ovi, but hey, anything to split up 8 and 19.

Let's see if Fehr can dig out pucks and if the Swedes are gonna start shooting.

Burakovsky95*

Fehr would not be my first choice to try as complementary winger to Ovi, but hey, anything to split up 8 and 19.

Let's see if Fehr can dig out pucks and if the Swedes are gonna start shooting.

I don't think we really have a wing on this team overall, that fits with Ovechkin extremely well.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

XS5LK.gif

Bravo.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't think we really have a wing on this team overall, that fits with Ovechkin extremely well.

I tend to agree, but you have to pick the worst of evils. I think Ovi and Fehr kind of want to do the same thing on the ice..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If getting owned is what the kids call lapping now...

Not one person agrees with you. You could take the hint, or you could keep pretending that it's impossible to want both long and short term changes and that trying to make the lineup perform better is tantamount to accepting that it does not need to be improved. The self-denial on display is quite amusing. Still wondering how you're gonna incorporate those long term acquisitions without "line shuffling garbage" though :laugh:

Not one person agrees that the roster has holes and has HAD holes for years that need to be filled to make this team a legit Cup challenger? Man you have a warped sense of reality. Keep swinging and missing.

Burakovsky95*

My god the Habs fans on the main board basically asking for our entire franchise for Markov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad