Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am intrigued by the idea of 3 scoring lines going forward. Fun and gun is back baby!

Fehr and MP are showing a lot and I for one want to see Nick and Fehr, and Ribs and Fehr etc. Hell, even MP and Ovi if our offense gets stale.

Beagle can't be on 4 my ass, but nice goal though. Chimera Beagle Crabb will do just fine in their 8 TOI.

3 scoring lines gives Oates a lot of options. I wonder if he works extra with his stud passing C's. Laich said he is spending a lot of time with Ovi's transition to RW.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I am intrigued by the idea of 3 scoring lines going forward. Fun and gun is back baby!

Fehr and MP are showing a lot and I for one want to see Nick and Fehr, and Ribs and Fehr etc. Hell, even MP and Ovi if our offense gets stale.

Beagle can't be on 4 my ass, but nice goal though. Chimera Beagle Crabb will do just fine in their 8 TOI.

3 scoring lines gives Oates a lot of options. I wonder if he works extra with his stud passing C's. Laich said he is spending a lot of time with Ovi's transition to RW.

I'm not a fan of 3 scoring lines but for now we have an imperfect roster so as long as it works stick with it.

I too thought of bumping Fehr up and it has been mentioned on blogs and in the broadcast.

I wouldn't do it tho. Those 3 have shown good chemistry. I wouldn't mess with it.

I see TX is still fighting the good fight of trying to diminish Erskine. He's been on this crusade since day 1 of when we acquired him off waivers. At least he's persistent with it :)

Erskine was very good last night and has been playing well this year. You have to give credit where its due. He deserved all the ice time he got last night and its good to see him with PK time and being out there late in the game protecting a 1 goal lead.

Oates has faith in him. So do I.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
When life gives a passing coach 3 passing C's, I want Oates to think long and hard about rolling with them.

Beagle is good but is not an integral part of our offensive philosophy

If Oates wants to play defensive matchups as a priority like Dale, sure. MP see you when someone gets injured.

While we are thin on scoring wing we all know great passing centers can generate goals no matter their wingers.

What is the best way to win with our team as constructed. What is our single most team strength.

Skilled C

A different look
Brouwer Ribs Ovi | Laich Nick Ward | Hendy MP Fehr

Hendy Ribs Ovi | Laich Nick Fehr | Ward MP Brow

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

Oh man, fun and gun. Memories of the ol' bawl coach in DC. Not good.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oh man, fun and gun. Memories of the ol' bawl coach in DC. Not good.

Well last year we hunkered down, and still only won 1 series.

We need that hybrid offense, half dale half bruce.

Oates is probably trying to do that and i bet its not easy. I suspect we just don't have enough skill in the top 6 to win a cup, cover for our inconsistent back end.

And with a 3rd "scoring line" of Chimera MP Brouwer, is it really a scoring line? Its just 2 big burly wingers with a spark plug.

It does give Oates the ability to get MP out into the PP for instance. Extra skater late. PP2. Not have MP at 4RW where he gets eaten alive.

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Agreed, Randy.

I'm okay with having 3 scoring lines in this system because this isn't really all out offense system. All three lines are cycling very very well. And when your 3rd line is cycling as well as they have, is there really a need for your traditional checking line? Lets give MP a few more games on that line and see how he fares. But so far so good.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Well last year we hunkered down, and still only won 1 series.

We need that hybrid offense, half dale half bruce.

Oates is probably trying to do that and i bet its not easy. I suspect we just don't have enough skill in the top 6 to win a cup.

And with a 3rd "scoring line" of Chimera MP Brouwer, is it really a scoring line? Its just 2 big burly wingers with a spark plug.

It does give Oates the ability to get MP out into the PP for instance. Extra skater late. PP2. Not have MP at 4RW where he gets eaten alive.

Have to disagree.

I don't want a hybrid. I want Bruce style attack and pressure defense all over the ice.

I don't ever want to watch a game of coin flip hockey again either.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
If your second line can play a shutdown style, 3 scoring lines isn't so bad (especially if, as you say, at least one of them is cycling well regardless of their role). Laich - Backstrom - someone could do that for you, but the key will be finding a winger that can score enough while still providing defensive value.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Good Read on O'Reilly

If you have seen it from Custance on ESPN Insider.

He seems to be the Anti "Young Gun"...so therefore a worthwhile investment. I cant cut and paste for some reason...but it has a lot of people talking very very highly of his intangibles.

Go and get him. Dont worry about the cost, or the cap ramifications later. It can be worked out.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Interesting idea BRS, the most responsible scoring line double down as a checking line. I hadn't thought of that. I kind of Laich it ;) - as he seems a fine fit there.

Can anyone put into a simple clear sentence or 2, what Oates's style is?

To be honest, i have not been looking for any line matching or shutdown pairs. I don't even know if he is doing any of that.

If not, that is very Bruce like.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If you have seen it from Custance on ESPN Insider.

He seems to be the Anti "Young Gun"...so therefore a worthwhile investment. I cant cut and paste for some reason...but it has a lot of people talking very very highly of his intangibles.

Go and get him. Dont worry about the cost, or the cap ramifications later. It can be worked out.

Ridley,

Pass the crack pipe please..or better yet put it down! ha

They want a top 6 forward roster player AND a top prospect.

ROR wants 5 years at 5 mil per.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
When life gives a passing coach 3 passing C's, I want Oates to think long and hard about rolling with them.

Beagle is good but is not an integral part of our offensive philosophy

If Oates wants to play defensive matchups as a priority like Dale, sure. MP see you when someone gets injured.

While we are thin on scoring wing we all know great passing centers can generate goals no matter their wingers.

What is the best way to win with our team as constructed. What is our single most team strength.

Skilled C

A different look
Brouwer Ribs Ovi | Laich Nick Ward | Hendy MP Fehr

Hendy Ribs Ovi | Laich Nick Fehr | Ward MP Brow

Close, but not quite. Do NOT break up 42-85-16. Its working. Put 21 with 19-20 once healthy. And YES, 26 with 8-9 for sure. 26 adds grit, had hands, and can take the faceoffs. Easy Peasy

26-8-9
21-19-20
42-85-16
then a D line
25-83-15/17.

Trade 90 for help, somewhere.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Close, but not quite. Do NOT break up 42-85-16. Its working. Put 21 with 19-20 once healthy. And YES, 26 with 8-9 for sure. 26 adds grit, had hands, and can take the faceoffs. Easy Peasy

26-8-9
21-19-20
42-85-16
then a D line
25-83-15/17.

That lineup looks great. I was just trying to provide a different look, for we all know coaches will be forced to shuffle the lines up. that's a lot of grinding wingers, for the most part. They should largely be interchangeable.

I am intrigued to get Ribs another RH shot. When the new passing C comes to town saying he wants to play with RH shots, my gut says roll with it. Maybe at home, when he can take his own faceoffs.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver

26-8-9
21-19-20
42-85-16
then a D line
25-83-15/17.

Not sure why Hendy isn't already with Ribs....someone needs to take the face offs for him, he's horrendous, and not taking advantage of the O zone face off with Ovi on your line isn't the smartest of coaching moves.

Also agree, great lines

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ridley,

Pass the crack pipe please..or better yet put it down! ha

They want a top 6 forward roster player AND a top prospect.

ROR wants 5 years at 5 mil per.

Translation: They want the same return Philadelphia got for Richards and Carter. A Simmonds + Schenn or Voracek + 8th overall (Couturier) type deal. For us, that means Johansson + Kuznetsov/Forsberg.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I'm kind of interested to see Ovi and Nicky together. Nicky has been great for a few weeks now. Maybe those two get something going together again?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Translation: They want the same return Philadelphia got for Richards and Carter. A Simmonds + Schenn or Voracek + 8th overall (Couturier) type deal. For us, that means Johansson + Kuznetsov/Forsberg.

Pretty much.

I would not trade either Kuznetsov or Forsberg for him and then have to pay him $$$ and most likely lose Ribeiro.

Just doesn't make sense for the Caps.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ugh, just say no to 26 (or slow 25 for that matter) on the top line with Ribs and Ovie. If we really don't want to break up 16-85-42, then it's time to give MoJo another crack at it.

90-9-8
17-19-20
16-85-42
25-26-83

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If your second line can play a shutdown style, 3 scoring lines isn't so bad (especially if, as you say, at least one of them is cycling well regardless of their role). Laich - Backstrom - someone could do that for you, but the key will be finding a winger that can score enough while still providing defensive value.

We have it-- Brouwer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad