Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Holtby came in 4th in the Vezina voting. That has to be a big help for him, and his agent, during contract negotiations.

Pts. (1st-2nd-3rd)

1. Carey Price, MTL 144 (27-3-0)
2. Pekka Rinne, NSH 60 (1-15-10)
3. Devan Dubnyk, MIN 28 (1-4-11)
4. Braden Holtby, WSH 26 (0-7-5)
5. Henrik Lundqvist, NYR 6 (1-0-1)
6. Corey Crawford, CHI 3 (0-1-0)
7. Andrew Hammond, OTT 1 (0-0-1)
Jonathan Quick, LAK 1 (0-0-1)
Cam Talbot, NYR 1 (0-0-1)

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Holtby came in 4th in the Vezina voting. That has to be a big help for him, and his agent, during contract negotiations.

Pts. (1st-2nd-3rd)

1. Carey Price, MTL 144 (27-3-0)
2. Pekka Rinne, NSH 60 (1-15-10)
3. Devan Dubnyk, MIN 28 (1-4-11)
4. Braden Holtby, WSH 26 (0-7-5)
5. Henrik Lundqvist, NYR 6 (1-0-1)
6. Corey Crawford, CHI 3 (0-1-0)
7. Andrew Hammond, OTT 1 (0-0-1)
Jonathan Quick, LAK 1 (0-0-1)
Cam Talbot, NYR 1 (0-0-1)

not good for the caps :help:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Holtby will get the money he deserves, he's established himself as a Vezina caliber goalie this year.

Maybe it's Mitch Korn who proved himself as a Vezina caliber goalie coach?

If they had more time they could hardball Braden a bit with obvious "expensive defense", "Trotz's defensive scheme" and "we will use Gruby/Copley with the same results".

Now they really can't do that with great effect.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Is it me...or are the contracts the Sens just paid out to Stone and however you spell his name are somewhat promising for the Caps and the deals they'll have to sign Kuznetsov and Johansson to?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Maybe it's Mitch Korn who proved himself as a Vezina caliber goalie coach?

If they had more time they could hardball Braden a bit with obvious "expensive defense", "Trotz's defensive scheme" and "we will use Gruby/Copley with the same results".

Now they really can't do that with great effect.

Holtby has played at essentially this level for his entire career minus the two month stretch where he was Braden Oatesby.

Holtby is arbitration eligible, hardball won't work.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Holtby has played at essentially this level for his entire career minus the two month stretch where he was Braden Oatesby.

Holtby is arbitration eligible, hardball won't work.

Good one, I went to a Caps Rangers game at MSG and sat behind the fool that they call the dancing Larry guy has no life but they show him dance every home game with 4 minutes left. Guy was so annoying and called him Moltby, I like yours better

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
GUY CARBONNEAU AWARD (Top Penalty Killer)

1. Kyle Brodziak, Minnesota (13 points)
2. Tyler Toffoli, Los Angeles (11 points)
T3. Patrice Bergeron, Boston (5 points)
T3. Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh (5 points)
T3. Luke Glendening, Detroit (5 points)
T3. Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis (5 points)

Do you award the guy who played the most shorthanded minutes at forward, a-la Glendening? The shorthanded scoring demon, a-la Toffoli? The winner was the centerpiece of the league’s top-rated penalty kill, Brodziak. What’s with Fleury on the list? One of our voters took the “goalie is your best penalty killer” cliche too far. Woof.

Also receiving votes: Semyon Varlamov, John Carlson, Brandon Sutter, Rob Scuderi, Andrew Hammond, Rick Nash, Tomas Plekanec

Nice for Carlson, and maybe we can use Brodziak in the end?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Calgary possibly looking to cut salary with Giordano (rightfully) asking for a ton of money?

They should probably move Wideman first but Hudler would be ok I guess on the 2nd line (other than this, I'm not a fan)

hudlerlaughing.png

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
If GlenX could fetch a 2nd and 3rd, Brouwer has to be worth at least that. We paid a first rounder for him so the value has to be there. Use him to get some picks back, which in turn allows Wilson to move up in the lineup, which is what the organization wants. Then turn around and use his cap space to sign/trade for a RW

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If GlenX could fetch a 2nd and 3rd, Brouwer has to be worth at least that. We paid a first rounder for him so the value has to be there. Use him to get some picks back, which in turn allows Wilson to move up in the lineup, which is what the organization wants. Then turn around and use his cap space to sign/trade for a RW

You're missing the whole deadline inflation issue now though...

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So the Caps have just over $20M for Johansson, Kuznetsov, Holtby, 4 forwards, and 1 defenseman.

I think Holtby gets $5-6M of that - let's say 6.
Johansson at $4M seems plausible to me.
Kuznetsov doesn't really have the numbers or the leverage to get more than Stone or Zibanejad, so I'm going to peg him at 3, right between the two (more than Zibanejad and less than Stone).

That leaves $7M for 4 forwards (including two scratches) and a defenseman (including one scratch), barring trade. Chimera and Brouwer both have at least partial NTC, so Laich would probably be the one to go if anyone is moved.

Next season, the RFAs are Wilson, Latta, Burakovsky, and Orlov. Burakovsky is really the only one of those I see being expensive. Brouwer and Chimera's contracts expire, so next year should be fine for the cap.

With Ovechkin, Backstrom, Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky, they only need one more top 6 player.

IMO they have to go hard after Okposo. He only costs $2.8M this season. Trading Laich (separately) would give them 9.5ish to spend on 3 bottom-six roster players and three scratches.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Calgary possibly looking to cut salary with Giordano (rightfully) asking for a ton of money?

They should probably move Wideman first but Hudler would be ok I guess on the 2nd line (other than this, I'm not a fan)

hudlerlaughing.png

I doubt Hudler's available, but why aren't you a fan? He's a damn good two-way player who's fared well in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad