Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLIII (Trade Deadline 2015 Target Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
The team needs to make several decisions at Forward, mostly in the off season. They changed the front office, coaching, and defense before this season. I am good with Holtby/whomever (lock up Braden) and the top4 D plus all the kids (Orlov, Schmidt, Bowey, Carrick, etc.). Green, Hillen, and Erskine can all go.

Where I have problems is figuring out how anyone slots between OV/Nick and the 4th liners. Ward can go. Volp is out, as it likely Beagle (someone will over pay). If they can find a way to move on from Laich (big cost) and MoJo (while he still has value) they should. Some combo of Chimmer, Latta, Brown, LOB, and other parts can be the 4th line and bench. I'd pay Fehr.

So, for the 7 spots that are 1RW and the 2nd & 3rd lines we have: Brouwer, Fehr, Kuz, Bura, Wilson, Vrana, and whomever they add now and/or in the summer. That is not close to good enough. There will be cap room to re-up Holtby and Fehr and sign a FA or two and/or retain anyone added now that's not an expiring contract.

I'm okay trading our 2015 1st for a good NHL player (now or summer) and I'd really try to deal MoJo. I would not give him the money he will want and somebody likely still values him. IF Schmidt (likely) and Orlov (unlikely) are both ready for the playoffs I'd consider moving Green for a scorer, otherwise let him ride out his contract and hope he scores in the playoffs. I'd take anything I could get for Laich (e.g. a 2054 7th rounder) except another bad contract in return.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Trade 4

To Washington: Antoine Vermette

To Arizona: Philipp Grubauer and a 2015 first-round pick

ANALYSIS: Vermette is arguably the top centre available and Washington arguably needs a centre more than any other playoff-bound team. This move takes some pressure off sophomore Evgeni Kuznetsov and allows Eric Fehr to shift back to his natural wing position. Rather than Gudlevskis from Tampa Bay, where Mike Smith came from, the Coyotes target Grubauer as their future backup with starter potential to pair with Smith for next season. The Capitals are very set in goal with Braden Holtby, so Grubauer is expendable much like Michal Neuvirth was last year. Nobody likes giving away their first-round pick, but it’s the cost of doing business at this stage of the season.

Trade 21

To Washington: Torrey Mitchell

To Buffalo: 2015 seventh-round pick

ANALYSIS: Again, the Capitals could use a bit more depth up front and Mitchell might be a better option come playoff time than Michael Latta. That’s debatable, but what do you have to lose by disposing of a seventh-rounder? If an injury strikes — Brooks Laich and Eric Fehr have a history of getting hurt — the Caps will be happy to have Mitchell in the fold. The Sabres are just happy to get anything in return for another pending UFA.

To Washington: Olli Jokinen

To Toronto: 2015 sixth-round pick

ANALYSIS: Same thing here, better safe than sorry from the Capitals’ standpoint. By adding Vermette, Jokinen and Torrey Mitchell, they are much deeper up front, which often translates to playoff success. Toronto gets another pick for a guy they just acquired as a throw-in from Nashville in the deal for Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli. Solid asset management for the Leafs even if this sixth-rounder doesn’t amount to anything.

http://thehockeywriters.com/trade-deadline-dreaming-up-26-deals/

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
The team needs to make several decisions at Forward, mostly in the off season. They changed the front office, coaching, and defense before this season. I am good with Holtby/whomever (lock up Braden) and the top4 D plus all the kids (Orlov, Schmidt, Bowey, Carrick, etc.). Green, Hillen, and Erskine can all go.

Where I have problems is figuring out how anyone slots between OV/Nick and the 4th liners. Ward can go. Volp is out, as it likely Beagle (someone will over pay). If they can find a way to move on from Laich (big cost) and MoJo (while he still has value) they should. Some combo of Chimmer, Latta, Brown, LOB, and other parts can be the 4th line and bench. I'd pay Fehr.

So, for the 7 spots that are 1RW and the 2nd & 3rd lines we have: Brouwer, Fehr, Kuz, Bura, Wilson, Vrana, and whomever they add now and/or in the summer. That is not close to good enough. There will be cap room to re-up Holtby and Fehr and sign a FA or two and/or retain anyone added now that's not an expiring contract.

I'm okay trading our 2015 1st for a good NHL player (now or summer) and I'd really try to deal MoJo. I would not give him the money he will want and somebody likely still values him. IF Schmidt (likely) and Orlov (unlikely) are both ready for the playoffs I'd consider moving Green for a scorer, otherwise let him ride out his contract and hope he scores in the playoffs. I'd take anything I could get for Laich (e.g. a 2054 7th rounder) except another bad contract in return.

The rumored $69 million cap is a huge buzzkill for the offseason.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Seriously. And with Holtby likely taking Green's salary slot at this point, it means they can bring in a ~$1M defenseman to replace him. They can have Orlov IF they cut $1M somewhere else.

I'd try to keep Fehr and Beagle by giving them term at low $. I guess it more or less has to be the skilled young forwards after that, unless some higher $ guys get moved - but with a low cap, I don't see a lot of suitors for guys who are underperforming their contracts.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't mind if the cap stays there.

Yes, it's not good for Caps but it's absolutely terrible news for several of our EC rivals. Rangers lose couple of guys, Penguins lose couple of guys, Flyers are still screwed with those terrible contract, Islanders are in same situation as Caps, Boston loses couple of guys.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD

Yeah, but I'll believe it when I see it. And I still think we have enough $ going out to add one player. Like others have said though, that $69 number would really hurt some other teams, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They'll just replace him with Vrana and Trotz will have a heart attack by December.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

I have to assume that number is without the 5% inflator, which there is no way the PA would do if that is indeed the number. If that is with the inflator the league is in trouble IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad