Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Oleksy has played well and is far from the problem. Are you implying otherwise?

Not at all. Granted, I think the sheen will wear off before too long, but I don't care for this season.

Just trying to give you the good side, that's all.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Not at all. Granted, I think the sheen will wear off before too long, but I don't care for this season.

Just trying to give you the good side, that's all.

There is always a spot for a player like Oleksy that is willing to play physical and mix it up. He "knows his role" and plays it well. I agree he is not going to maintain this kind of offensive production but he can play.

To me this is a bad sign...it probably means that Erskine/Green/Orlov, or some combo of them, is further off from returning than I hoped.

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
Hey guys, Hawks fan in peace. Just curious, assuming Ribs is available, what would you guys think he gets from the Hawks? I'm originally a baseball guy, so I'm not as anal as most on prospects, because I understand the fail rate. What position(s), prospect wise, is your area of need?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
There is always a spot for a player like Oleksy that is willing to play physical and mix it up. He "knows his role" and plays it well. I agree he is not going to maintain this kind of offensive production but he can play.

To me this is a bad sign...it probably means that Erskine/Green/Orlov, or some combo of them, is further off from returning than I hoped.

If so, why not go after the Leafs Jake Gardiner (if you believe the talk) instead.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Hey guys, Hawks fan in peace. Just curious, assuming Ribs is available, what would you guys think he gets from the Hawks? I'm originally a baseball guy, so I'm not as anal as most on prospects, because I understand the fail rate. What position(s), prospect wise, is your area of need?

They'd probably want a 1st and a decent prospect of any kind if the market will bear it. Prefer F over D I imagine, but quality would be more important if it's available.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Honestly, most positions, with C being the biggest and G being the least. I see Ribeiro commanding a pretty big return, probably more than a 1st from most teams and definitely more than the Hawks' 1st.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Orlov is already back, just not playing well yet. Green took the scratches skate today, so I'd have to think he's close. Genoway isn't a LD replacement, so doesn't really say anything about Erskine. My guess is Kundratek will be staying up, so we got a replacement.

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
Honestly, most positions, with C being the biggest and G being the least. I see Ribeiro commanding a pretty big return, probably more than a 1st from most teams and definitely more than the Hawks' 1st.

That's understandable, it's definitely a seller's market, and Ribeiro is easily one of the most appealing rentals. What would your guys' kneejerk reaction to McNeill :)cry:) and our 1st be?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Yeah, I'd be fine with it. Granted, I haven't followed his development enough to know whether you're selling us a lemon, but I know not to expect like TT or anything so the next tier down is what I'd be looking for.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If so, why not go after the Leafs Jake Gardiner (if you believe the talk) instead.

At this point we have to also look towards next year and must take into account limited resources.

Those resources are best used to fill voids based on priority. Our top 6 forward group needs help especially with the Ribeiro uncertainty. Fehr is also a UFA.

You just don't give up assets for a good player just because he is available. Have to address needs in priortiy.

We got a ton of Dmen under contract for next year and will have all (most likely) coming back outside of Poti. No need to backlog it anymore

McNeil and a 1st would work for me.

Might not get it done, depending on what else is out there. But it's a seemingly fair deal.

Huh? Do you realize that 1st could very well be the #1 overall??? Its looking like a top 5 no matter how you cut it and dice it. You don't trade those picks in a top heavy draft.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Capitals Acquire Chay Genoway from Wild

While he may be smaller than Phil Housley at least he has more fights this year than Sarge Poti Alzner Green Carlson Kundratek and Hillen combined.

Chara is going to be beside himself

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It'd be a first from the Hawks.

Mark McNeil + Chi's 1st for Ribeiro.

OK thats more reasonable. I didn't follow you on the other one. My bad.

I still think we need to focus on the top 6 and channel full power to that. Leftover power should be directed to another physical dman. If we are going to carry no hitters on the back end (Carlzner for example) then we have to compliment them with guys who will take up the slack. Not sure if Green will be asked to play a physical game or if at this point he is capable of it. Not sure if Kundratek is adept enough at it. We know Schultz sucks eggs.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
A new d-man in Hershey..............???

Let NHL ready d-man rot in pressbox.

Waive NHL ready d-man.

Poti gets injured.

Call up Oleksy.

Erskine gets injured.

Call up Schilling.

Poti / Erskine injuries questionable so must keep Hershey d-men.

Schultz plays like crap.

Sign new d-man to restock because you let NHL d-man rot in pressbox.

Well done.

Some sequence like that. Hey.......but the kids are getting experience.

Maryland17

Jan 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
Ribeiro

Since Zajac signed 8 years with a 5.75 cap hit. You would think that Ribs will get $5.5 per, maybe 3-4 years.

You think its at all possible if we trade him as a rental we can sign him if he hits the open market?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
OK thats more reasonable. I didn't follow you on the other one. My bad.

I still think we need to focus on the top 6 and channel full power to that. Leftover power should be directed to another physical dman. If we are going to carry no hitters on the back end (Carlzner for example) then we have to compliment them with guys who will take up the slack. Not sure if Green will be asked to play a physical game or if at this point he is capable of it. Not sure if Kundratek is adept enough at it. We know Schultz sucks eggs.
Yeah, with us having a McNeil, and me being unable to quote the Hawks fan's post for whatever reason, I could see how it might be confusing.

Don't disagree with you at all about the top-6/defense. I still like the strategy of waiting until the offseason to sort that out though. Get futures first, then parlay some of those into packages for needs.

Regehr would be a nice fit as a UFA if we weren't committed to Erskine. Brings a veteran presence, toughness, and solid defensive play. But he provides no offense and is slow. The Caps are desperate for mobility and offense from the left side. I'd love to get a guy like Streit as a UFA and trade for someone like Robidas. We improve the mobility and offense from the left while still adding toughness, experience, and leadership.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, with us having a McNeil, and me being unable to quote the Hawks fan's post for whatever reason, I could see how it might be confusing.

Don't disagree with you at all about the top-6/defense. I still like the strategy of waiting until the offseason to sort that out though. Get futures first, then parlay some of those into packages for needs.

Regehr would be a nice fit as a UFA if we weren't committed to Erskine. Brings a veteran presence, toughness, and solid defensive play. But he provides no offense and is slow. The Caps are desperate for mobility and offense from the left side. I'd love to get a guy like Streit as a UFA and trade for someone like Robidas. We improve the mobility and offense form the left while still adding toughness, experience, and leadership.

Yeah I'm with you. For now, if we continue to engage in suck, we should just look to acquire futures and then re evaluate the team in the offseason.

Besides the teams we would be trading wtih probably don't even want to give up quality NHL roster players anyhow.

With the whole LD/RD thing we definitely need a LD. The Poti/Schultz combo is not the way to go. Alzner and Erskine are fine but we need another.

As far as RD seems like we have a log jam. If Kundratek and Oleksy don't slow down things can get tricky with a compliment of Orlov/Green/Carlson. I'd think we have to move at least 1 of those 5. It would be a shame to have to bury Oleksy or Kundratek in the minors.

But really...our top 6 group is in turmoil. Not producing, 2 of them UFAs, a couple of them not "great" top 6 fits, etc This has to be the first thing looked at IMO

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah I'm with you. For now, if we continue to engage in suck, we should just look to acquire futures and then re evaluate the team in the offseason.

Besides the teams we would be trading wtih probably don't even want to give up quality NHL roster players anyhow.

With the whole LD/RD thing we definitely need a LD. The Poti/Schultz combo is not the way to go. Alzner and Erskine are fine but we need another.

As far as RD seems like we have a log jam. If Kundratek and Oleksy don't slow down things can get tricky with a compliment of Orlov/Green/Carlson. I'd think we have to move at least 1 of those 5. It would be a shame to have to bury Oleksy or Kundratek in the minors.

But really...our top 6 group is in turmoil. Not producing, 2 of them UFAs, a couple of them not "great" top 6 fits, etc This has to be the first thing looked at IMO
How I'd approach the rebuild/re-tool:

At the deadline
Trade Ribeiro for top futures if he won't sign a reasonable extension
Trade Hendricks and Fehr for modest futures if they won't extend
Trade Crabb, Volpatti, Wolski, Poti, Schultz if you can get any return at all.

In the offseason
Trade Orlov/Kundratek + for Robidas
Trade Green for a 1LW or top 2C (maybe one of SJ''s or Boston's C's will be available?)
Trade a package with Laich/Ward/Brouwer + Neuvirth + futures/Mojo/Perreault for the other one of a 1LW or 2C
Sign Streit, Visnovsky, or even Gonchar to a short-term deal
Sign vet backup G, plugs to fill 4th line and 13th forward

That leaves you with:

1LW/Laich-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Laich/Forsberg/Fehr-2C-Brouwer/Fehr
Chimera-Perreault/Mojo-Ward/Fehr
Hendricks/plug-Beagle-Mitchell/Plug
plug

Alzner-Carlson
Streit/Visnovsky/Gonchar-Robidas
Erskine-Orlov/Kundratek
Oleksy/Schilling/Wey