Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXIII -- Summer Free Agency 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
In no way, shape or form can Chorney play a top four role. Have you seen him play?

Luckily, I know Mac won't let that happen. He knows Chorney is a 7th d-man, not a regular.

Gotta sign Oshie.

Go with the younger D. Chorney...step up or get out the way.

Orlov - Niskanen
Chorney - Carlson
Orpik - Bowey

Get Djoos, Lexington, and Williams some games as needed.

Maybe?

Ovie - Kuznetsov - Oshie
Mojo - Backstrom - Wilson
Burakovsky - Eller - Boyd
Walker - Beagle - Barber/Graovac

Maybe throw in a UFA $1million guy in there somewhere.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Look im not saying maclellan will save the franchise or if he will actually don anything: all I'm saying is thatbh has always been very active in trades/free agency which makes me believe he will again this year

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Gotta sign Oshie.

Go with the younger D. Chorney...step up or get out the way.

Orlov - Niskanen
Chorney - Carlson
Orpik - Bowey

Get Djoos, Lexington, and Williams some games as needed.

Maybe?

Ovie - Kuznetsov - Oshie
Mojo - Backstrom - Wilson
Burakovsky - Eller - Boyd
Walker - Beagle - Barber/Graovac

Maybe throw in a UFA $1million guy in there somewhere.

No way he has either Chorney or orpik at #4
He wouldn't have tried to keep Schmidt it that was the plan imo

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well my Mojo swap idea was immediately shot down in the Minnesota D thread. Looks like they are looking to shed salary and want futures so they might not be an ideal trade partner

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They really needed to win the Cup one of these last two years. Outside of some wizardry from GMBM (and likely a new HC as well), this team's trajectory is pointed in the wrong direction.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So what defenders should maclellan be looking for? Mcnabb or schlemko from Vegas? Who else
It depends on their price point but it doesn't seem likely Vegas moves McNabb. He was at the awards in a jersey and seems to fit what they want to do initially.

Schlemko fits. Hunwick in UFA could fit. Kulikov could fit depending on his market. Brendan Smith could fit if they're willing to shell out a bit more. Del Zotto could be another one. Russell and Alzner are options but who knows if they want to go in that direction. Oduya could be another stopgap. Vegas may be willing to retain salary on some of their worse d-men at relatively low rate. Aside from Schlemko and Merrill, though, they should pass.

I wouldn't immediately go out and trade for a defenseman unless the price is very reasonable. Desperation moves are a bad look.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
It's rebuild time but Ted's too stupid.

It's not really Ted if you think about it

So step 1 of the rebuild would be ovechkin, has something like 12 teams he can block (most likely the "bad teams" with all the cap space so really hard to trade him

Backstrom has something along the lines of 25 teams on his no trade so really hard to match with 6 teams

Kuznetsov you don't trade

Burakovsky you don't trade

Johansson/eller you can get something for

Orpik will cost more to trade then receive

Nothing big will come Connolly, beagle, Chorney, etc you wont really get anything

Carlson will have to be decided very soon what they doing there

You aren't trading orlov

Gotta probably have to keep niskanen

Point being, it's kinda hard to rebuild with this roster unless we pay people to take them

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
It's not really Ted if you think about it

So step 1 of the rebuild would be ovechkin, has something like 12 teams he can block (most likely the "bad teams" with all the cap space so really hard to trade him

Backstrom has something along the lines of 25 teams on his no trade so really hard to match with 6 teams

Kuznetsov you don't trade

Burakovsky you don't trade

Johansson/eller you can get something for

Orpik will cost more to trade then receive

Nothing big will come Connolly, beagle, Chorney, etc you wont really get anything

Carlson will have to be decided very soon what they doing there

You aren't trading orlov

Gotta probably have to keep niskanen

Point being, it's kinda hard to rebuild with this roster unless we pay people to take them

Looking on the bright side, it'll be nice to have a season where we're not all terrified of "peaking too soon," "winning the regular season" or "being any good at all."

Caps 2017-18: Set the bar low, and trip over it!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@reporterchris: David Schlemko heading to #habs from Vegas for a 2019 5th-round pick.

Cheap.

The Caps posted a picture, since deleted, of them interviewing a prospect in Chicago but I have no idea who it is.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Capitals should have been all over Schlemko at that price. Asleep at the wheel.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The fact George got fired here makes me think he likely had an axe to grind, WRT to any dealings with us. Everyone hated him when he was here, why wouldn't we hate him now?

I don't think it's fair! - I'll tell you what's fair!
#AnimalHouse

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Caps trade a 5th for Tyler Graovac.

MTL trades a 5th for David Schlemko.

Ugh.

How did Langway put it? "To maintain the illusion that Lars Eller is a prized asset"

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Djoos 2nd year is one-way. That means he's getting NHL games this season likely with an eye as the full time #6 in 18-19. He and Bowey fight it out in camp and the loser gets first call up duty.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe McPhee has a higher asking price for any Washington inquiries? Would anyone be surprised?

Is Schlemko at $2.1 for the next 2 years really "The Answer"? Since Twabby/Hive seem to be lambasting this...why wasn't the rest of the league pursuing the player at this relatively cheap ask? Maybe just not that good as perceived by other GM's?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Jordan Eberle on the move to Brooklyn for Ryan Strome. One less potential Oshie replacement. Closest equivalent for Washington would have probably been Burakovsky, but Burt has been better in the past two years than Strome and Burt is also 1.5 years younger. Strome does have a 50 point 2014-15 season on his resume, however.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Maybe McPhee has a higher asking price for any Washington inquiries? Would anyone be surprised?

Is Schlemko at $2.1 for the next 2 years really "The Answer"? Since Twabby/Hive seem to be lambasting this...why wasn't the rest of the league pursuing the player at this relatively cheap ask? Maybe just not that good as perceived by other GM's?

At a minimum, Schlemko provides solid 3rd pairing play while driving possession at a reasonable price. Basically, he can fill the role that Nate Schmidt played last year. Pressing him into a #4 role is sub-optimal, but better than any of their current options.

Vegas took 13 defensemen. They're going to need to move 4 or 5 of them before the season starts. Some of them will go cheap. I'm surprised on how cheap Schlemko was (as are most of the posters on the trade board), but Vegas is dealing from a position of weakness with regards to trade leverage for defensemen.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Since Twabby/Hive seem to be lambasting this...why wasn't the rest of the league pursuing the player at this relatively cheap ask? Maybe just not that good as perceived by other GM's?

It's no secret that I think NHL GMs are in large part clueless, especially when it comes to evaluating defensemen who don't put up pretty boxcars.

Schlemko could have been a solid replacement for Schmidt and certainly an Orpik replacement if they chose to jettison him (which they should). That's worth way more than a 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad