Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXV (Any Given Someday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Who on the team would Trotz and gmbm be worried about in the playoffs based on last year? Who stepped up and who didn't? That's what they're asking themselves.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think they probably would have a tough time demoting Beagle given how much the staff likes the guy. Chimera is the weak link on that line defensively so either pushing Johansson down or upgrading 3LW could be the route to a better shutdown mix.

Beagle is a winger playing center IMO. Yes a winger who is excellent in the dot but a winger none the less. Every part of his game outside of in the faceoff circle says winger and thus offensively at least he offers very little as a centerman outside of his motor. Defensively the fact he doesn't read the game like a centerman isn't ideal but again his motor helps to make up for that.

I'd love to see him at 3RW with a new, ideally left shot, 3C and Chimera. Having 2 faceoff guys, one for each side, on that line would be fantastic.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Most of the players who were bad last playoffs aren't here already. We have a new top 6, new 3rd line and will play 2 new defensemen, so even I wouldn't look at Johansson's horrible POs too much, and Laich needs to be dealt with anyway.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Who on the team would Trotz and gmbm be worried about in the playoffs based on last year? Who stepped up and who didn't? That's what they're asking themselves.
The fourth line. Wilson was promoted this year and deservedly so but Burakovsky was 3LW last year so it's a push at best. Latta, despite playing better recently, and Laich are the weak links and it may well be that Burakovsky isn't ready to be an X factor either. It's hard to make a run playing high intensity shutdown hockey if they're forced to shorten the bench once again.

I don't disagree re: Beagle but, again, the coaching staff loves the guy. Ideally, Beagle would be 4C where those creativity and agility concerns aren't much of a factor. If they need him late in games on the checking line that's fine. I wouldn't be all that eager to move Wilson back to the fourth line.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
With the ducks being in last place and having a high payroll I would keep my eye on them if the become sellers. Ryan Kesler is very intriguing to me, he's a strong 2way center, 31 years old 6.8 cap hit. Kesler would prolly take a good haul to acquire Plus sending Brooks back as cap dump.

Brooks, 1st, Samsonov for Kesler is something I would consider

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Kesler's next contract is brutal. No thanks.

If that's what they want, just get a rental and sign David Backes for nothing in the summer. Better player, but one that will likely demand a contract that's going to start looking bad at some point. Atleast you'll have those valuable assets after that.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
With the ducks being in last place and having a high payroll I would keep my eye on them if the become sellers. Ryan Kesler is very intriguing to me, he's a strong 2way center, 31 years old 6.8 cap hit.

Kesler has a full no trade clause and had no interest in coming to DC when he wanted to be traded before last season. No way can I see that happening and no way would I want to be on the hook for that contract.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The contract is a good point, in 2 seasons Kuz is going to coast us that much. So any big contract we take on can't have a lot of length.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The fourth line. Wilson was promoted this year and deservedly so but Burakovsky was 3LW last year so it's a push at best. Latta, despite playing better recently, and Laich are the weak links and it may well be that Burakovsky isn't ready to be an X factor either. It's hard to make a run playing high intensity shutdown hockey if they're forced to shorten the bench once again.

I don't disagree re: Beagle but, again, the coaching staff loves the guy. Ideally, Beagle would be 4C where those creativity and agility concerns aren't much of a factor. If they need him late in games on the checking line that's fine. I wouldn't be all that eager to move Wilson back to the fourth line.

Latta was outgunned and overmatched last postseason. If they have no confidence in him this postseason, getting a 3/4C makes a little sense. If he and Beagle keep playing well, I don't see them making that move. Either way if they're demoting their 3 and 4C's I'd rather it be done sooner rather than later. Maybe Bura finds himself in the pressbox this postseason...and they need someone who can play W or C.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If Latta keeps climbing then I think he stays on the 4th in the playoffs. Bura is the most worrisome. He had a few good games but was a clear detriment at times, including on the play that sealed the series for NYR.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He singlehandedly won a game. And he singlehandedly lost a game.

Given the talent and success this team has experienced thusfar, I don't know if I'd want such a high variance player in the active line-up if there's a chance at a better option. You hitch your ride to high variance players when you're the underdog, not when you're the favorite.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If Latta keeps climbing then I think he stays on the 4th in the playoffs. Bura is the most worrisome. He had a few good games but was a clear detriment at times, including on the play that sealed the series for NYR.
The offense from Latta is welcome of course but he's going to need to cut down the GA rate if he's going to center a trusted fourth line. He has the highest GA rate of any forward and against higher pace he's questionable. Just from the standpoint of insurance against injuries I think they've got to add another somewhat decent center (and it makes sense if they really did have interest in claiming Stoll). Being an injury away from having two of Laich, Latta and Stephenson playing center--with one above the fourth line--would be a tough situation for a supposed contender. I get trusting Beagle but that's not an organizational position of strength.

While they might not want to change the mix all that much they'll also have to be mindful that a lot of teams behind them will be aggressive in adding players. They're going to have to keep pace, maybe not in making a big splash per se but in being aggressive for the right fits.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Given the talent and success this team has experienced thusfar, I don't know if I'd want such a high variance player in the active line-up if there's a chance at a better option. You hitch your ride to high variance players when you're the underdog, not when you're the favorite.

Agree. I don't think he's earned a playoff sweater.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
I wonder what Arizona would want for Gordon (with some salary retained)? He's a UFA after this year, he's still winning 55% of faceoffs, and he was always a very solid bottom-6 center in DC from what I remember.

Obviously the $3m cap hit is a bit much and they'd need to keep some of that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah, we're not running a fantasy team, you can't just move the players around at will.
The group has a lot of confidence and a sense of camaraderie right now, you don't want to disrupt that. With a 25-6-2 record, I think it would be wise to wait until a problem arises.

Negative. Thats George talk.

If a deal arises that helps the team, you do it. Period. Waiting can mean the opportunity passes.....and thats not good.

The good record and play means you can be more discernable about what will *actually* help the team. But it doesnt mean you dont look, and pounce, if need be. Caps are not the 70's Isles or the 80's Oilers, so lots not get ahead of ourselves here.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What are the chances we don't make any moves come TDL...?

If you believe the noise coming from people following the NHL, I'd wager those chances are zero. GMBM has been pretty transparent when he is going to do something, so I would think the talks of him adding to the team are real.

It is becoming very apparent that this is THE year to go for it. Probably can next year too, unless something weird happens. So I see GMBM and Trotz determining their largest weakness, and addressing it. Probably sooner rather than later so that player(s) can mesh with the team....which GlenX didnt (while Gleason did)

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
You always keep an open dialogue with other GMs and go window shopping... but all I want is Bura to play better and to get Orpik back. If one/both of those things aren't likely then make a change.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

If a deal arises that helps the team, you do it. Period. Waiting can mean the opportunity passes.....and thats not good.

The good record and play means you can be more discernable about what will *actually* help the team. But it doesnt mean you dont look, and pounce, if need be. Caps are not the 70's Isles or the 80's Oilers, so lots not get ahead of ourselves here.

its not George talk. Same McPhee that took the Huet deal in Kolzig's face and dealt with having 3 goalies down the stretch. Same McPhee that blew up a good team by trading for Linden in Oates face and having his room go to hell in a hand basket overnight.

Its delicate. The right move shows the room that you believe in them and want to support them. The wrong move can say you don't believe in them.

So, it might be that finding a veteran defenseman that ends up putting one of Schmidt or Orlov in the press box for the playoffs is accepted while finding a veteran center and pushing Beagle down and Latta out would mess with their heads. It could be the reverse.

I just trust that he knows his troops.

As for Burt. I think its worth considering what Trotz was doing with both Burt and Kuzy last year around this time and compare that to what Burt is doing now. And where both ended up come playoffs. I don't think the replace Burakovsky til the TDL and only with a rental if they do that.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

This is true. Just need to make sure the deal helps get us closer to the cup. We aren't a team that needs to make a deal as a shot in the arm hoping it works. Aka Glencross/Erat

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

The irony here is that the President's Trophy season was one of George's most active trade deadlines ever. Corvo, Belanger, Walker, and Jurcina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad