Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXV (Any Given Someday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Would people take a Donald Brashear on this team with higher offensive potential and about half the salary?

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Im curious to know....if Wilson had been a later round pick, would the people bashing or giving up on him feel the same? He is a 21 year old hockey player who, to my eyes, has shown improvement.

I see comments that he "kinda sucks" and I just dont see that. I think he has looked pretty good this season, for the most part, and is a little snake bit in terms of picking up a few goals.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
I disagree that Wilson should be anywhere near a skilled line at this point. His overall play is better than in year's past, but that's mostly been evident on the PK. He's still bad in terms of sustaining possession and keeping the play alive. He's purely a forecheck missile and transition threat, and he's not a high enough percentage player in the transition game to warrant him seeing time with skilled players. At this point, he's basically a lesser version of Jason Chimera (and at least Chimera can play an effective cycle game). They have a few options, but putting a guy like Wilson or Laich in the top six would compromise the lines that are already effective.

Wilson can absolutely play an effective cycle game. And he's never compromised the top line whenever he's been put there, in fact, he made them better most of the time he was there last year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its pretty typical to not see clearly bad play by favs and not see the good plays of the not favs. glencross's near series winning goal was created by a heads up hustle defensive zone play by Wilson.

He creates more PP's than most. He creates space and turnovers. When playing with Laich and Latta the space and turnovers go unused unless a defenseman is involved. With Beagle and Chimera it did create offense. Lets be honest also. Kuzy and Burt and Carlson and Niskanen are not targeted for dirty play largely because Wilson is there. Ov and Orpik have an effect but the Caps have had 1 fight. Opposing teams don't push the issue with the Caps now.

His ice will increase again.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I'm perfectly happy with Wilson. That said, I don't think he'll ever be more than a 3rd liner. Solid play, 10 goals, and some toughness without big money is something all teams want. There are two stigmas here; 1) he was a 1st rounder and looks like he'll end up doing what many 3rd rounders do and 2) he played some role (we'll never know for sure) in the FF disaster - GMGM thought we were overloaded on the right side and that made FF tradeable.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Im curious to know....if Wilson had been a later round pick, would the people bashing or giving up on him feel the same? He is a 21 year old hockey player who, to my eyes, has shown improvement.

I see comments that he "kinda sucks" and I just dont see that. I think he has looked pretty good this season, for the most part, and is a little snake bit in terms of picking up a few goals.

well that's the difference I'm not disappointing in him because of his draft position and i love him as a player, but he has shown so little improvement over these past few years and i was hoping for more out of him than a 4th line grinder.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
well that's the difference I'm not disappointing in him because of his draft position and i love him as a player, but he has shown so little improvement over these past few years and i was hoping for more out of him than a 4th line grinder.

You don't see improved skating and situational awareness resulting in greater anticipation of how the play is developing and better positioning, as opposed to just getting on the ice and smashing into whoever is near the puck? Because I'm all about seeing that.

Apr 6, 2004
You don't think he can become a 15g guy? I've always had him at around that number eventually, 20 if we got very lucky that he develops late. I still think 15 is the line someday.

It's the absolute ceiling IMO and that's fine as long as the other areas of his game continue to improve. If he can play an elite physical game, PK, imposing forecheck and chip in w/ 10g's a year he'll have a long and successful career. Sure Clark scored 30 goals but he was playing top 6 minutes with elite play makers, Wilson may not get that chance, at least in DC.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
There isn't anything anyone on here can say that changes my opinion on Wilson.

He's a beast and will get better offensively with time.

One of my favorite Capitals.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
There isn't anything anyone on here can say that changes my opinion on Wilson.

He's a beast and will get better offensively with time.

One of my favorite Capitals.

I totally agree. And besides being quite young, especially given his size, he spent a critical year of development under Oates. He's therefore necessarily at least one year behind.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Jason Chimera is career 15G guy, more or less. With not much besides straight line speed. It's possible to be effective with physicality only.

Also, Wilson will hardly ever have a chance with elite playmakers. Caps don't have those. And... just too many young top-6 RWs in the system before Wilson on the depth chart.

PS: Dead wood.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Woke up this morning from a dream thinking I had seen a tweet that the caps had traded Orlov, Stephenson and a 4th for Bufflygen. Not sure where the hell that came from but man that would be a ridiculous D corps for this season

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
If Trotz wants to keep Williams with Chimmers and Beags for now, I'd like to see what Wilson could do with Nicky and Majo. At the very least he'll be better along the boards than Bura is, and maybe provide a little more space for his two line mates with his physical play.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Love Wilson. Any team would love to have him. He's an impact player without even looking at the stat line. Not many players have the defensive awareness, superior open ice hitting, size/speed, agitation and fisticuffs he has. He is extremely disruptive on the forecheck and I'd like to see him on the PP.

Our PPs main problem is puck retrieval. We can't seem to get set up in the zone because we lose the initial battle. That's what Wilson excels in. Drives in and the opposing player just braces for a hit for if he doesn't he may not get up.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You don't see improved skating and situational awareness resulting in greater anticipation of how the play is developing and better positioning, as opposed to just getting on the ice and smashing into whoever is near the puck? Because I'm all about seeing that.

I said he's shown very little improvement, which is sort of what you're saying. Being smarter and faster is less than I had hoped for, as being smarter comes with being in the league for 3 years, I was hoping his skills would develop too.

Still hoping he can become the great 3rd liner we have all been hoping for, but when people say he's been playing great this season, I don't know what the hell they're talking about.

People saying "He's been solid along the boards", "getting better defensively", and "he's skating faster this year", are all ignoring the fact that he brings almost nothing offensively and his skills have not developed at all.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I said he's shown very little improvement, which is sort of what you're saying. Being smarter is less than I had hoped for, as that comes with being in the league for 3 years, I was hoping his skills would develop too.

Still hoping he can become the great 3rd liner we have all been hoping for, but when people say he's been playing great this season, I don't know what the hell they're talking about.

People saying "He's been solid along the boards", "getting better defensively", and "he's skating faster this year", are all ignoring the fact that he brings almost nothing offensively and his skills have not developed at all.

If his shooting is better but his skating and positioning/awareness are not then the shot is pretty worthless because he'll never get it off.

IF there's going to be improvement in his offensive skills it's probably going to come after a period of adjustment to the overall NHL game wherein he finds himself in position to shoot more and more, and with better quality chances beyond right place at the right time or simply crashing the net. He'll see more openings.

If we see more of the quality chances (which in some games we have) then I think we're seeing the first steps of a larger improvement, even if they aren't going in right away.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
If his shooting is better but his skating and positioning/awareness are not then the shot is pretty worthless because he'll never get it off.

IF there's going to be improvement in his offensive skills it's probably going to come after a period of adjustment to the overall NHL game wherein he finds himself in position to shoot more and more, and with better quality chances beyond right place at the right time or simply crashing the net. He'll see more openings.

If we see more of the quality chances (which in some games we have) then I think we're seeing the first steps of a larger improvement, even if they aren't going in right away.

I don't doubt that Wilson has some potential to be an effective player someday, I just don't think that day is here yet. And I think people are kidding themselves trying to convince themselves that Wilson has been great this year.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Wilson is a great asset to this team. People underestimate his impact on the team. He was one of the players that triggered the comeback in the Isles series last year when it looked like we were going to lose. His hit on Visnovsky completed changed the course of events.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

not sure what youre watching....i see an improved player.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Love Wilson. Any team would love to have him. He's an impact player without even looking at the stat line. Not many players have the defensive awareness, superior open ice hitting, size/speed, agitation and fisticuffs he has. He is extremely disruptive on the forecheck and I'd like to see him on the PP.

Our PPs main problem is puck retrieval. We can't seem to get set up in the zone because we lose the initial battle. That's what Wilson excels in. Drives in and the opposing player just braces for a hit for if he doesn't he may not get up.

Haha, that would be quite a PP strategy -- use Wilson to seek and destroy defensemen who get exposed trying to clear the puck. Game 1, PP goes 0-4. Game 2, the other team has no healthy defensemen left :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Haha, that would be quite a PP strategy -- use Wilson to seek and destroy defensemen who get exposed trying to clear the puck. Game 1, PP goes 0-4. Game 2, the other team has no healthy defensemen left :)

What a totally implausible plan. We'll never get 4 PPs in game 1 of a series. :sarcasm:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
2) he played some role (we'll never know for sure) in the FF disaster - GMGM thought we were overloaded on the right side and that made FF tradeable.

Please, he played no role. That one was all on McPhee.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Anyone been following Stars much from the start of last season? Would be nice to get an opinion on Jamie Oleksiak. Former 1st rounder, currently not in the picture for them since they have 8 D, and if i'm right they can't send him to AHL without clearing waivers. Players like him are long-term projects, and Caps could use him in the 3rd pairing LD/#7D role at times this season, while waiting if he'd be capable replacement for Brooks Orpik in the future. I could be off by alot since i haven't seen him play much but from what i've heard he's NHL-ready, and already better player than Chorney. Could also fill a role better since he'd fit Trotz heavy-style system well. Cap hit is 0.875m which fits well since it's not much bigger than Chorney's 0.700m.

No need to do anything immediately (Stars are doing well as of now, so they can afford to keep him, waiting for great offers), but in case of Orpik's injury i think this could be a good fit. Orlov and Schmidt are both good on either side so assuming injuries does happen then one of them (likely Orlov) would move up in the line-up, while Oleksiak would take the 3LD role and slice of Orpik's PK role.

Just thinking (if we get positive reviews of Oleksiak), that something around him and Vanecek would be a solid fit for both sides. Seeing as defensive depth is always important, and Caps can't afford to add big contracts without going over the cap, and i don't see Taylor Chorney being claimed from the waivers either. Not that it would be a deal-breaker either. Caps as of now are loaded with great young goalies, and Holtby is young and tied long-term too. With Samsonov and Grubauer in the system too, Vanecek is bit of an luxury that could be available for prospect playing different position.

Jun 15, 2007
Hypothetical trade.

To Arizona:

Brooks Laich, 2nd round pick

To us:

Boyd Gordon.

I'd love Gordo back and he'd help us with faceoffs. Does Phoenix do it though? Laich's cap hit is higher than his salary so he might be palatable for cap reaasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad