ACHA Division 3 Club

JohnnyD

Nov 21, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the boards so I really appreciate you taking the time to read this post and hopefully answer my question. I don't necessarily know how to properly ask it, so I guess I'll just post my situation and wait to see what you all have to say about it. So I'm transferring out of my community college this summer to a university. Most of the universities are smaller schools (some less then 10,000), and have hockey teams in the ACHA. I understand that this league is very competitive and the skaters are very good, but I also know that a lot of the schools I am applying to have teams in the Division 3 part of the ACHA league. Now, unfortunately i haven't been playing hockey long at all. In fact, I'm just starting. However, other people who seem to be really experienced are continuously telling me that I'm picking it up incredibly fast. However, I know this doesn't account for lack of experience. I'm currently participating in Open Hockey, Open Skating (to improve) as well as different classes like the Power Skating Classes and other adult hockey classes. I plan to also participate in a men's league this upcoming season. I'm working really hard in the gym, and really hard on and off the ice to improve my skills every day. I want to play for one of these Division 3 teams. I'm just unsure how unrealistic this new found dream of mine may be, or maybe even how possible it may be. So I guess i'm looking for a mix of realism, support, and maybe even certain steps I should take. I did email all the coaches, a lot of them wrote back and just said things like get as much ice time as possible. So, what do you guys think?

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I helped coach an ACHA Div III team that made it to the Nationals this year. So, I can tell you what the level is.
About half of our players had either played Jr. A., Jr. B, or New England Prep School prior to joining our club. Our best defenseman could have easily played NCAA Div III if not Div I.
So, realistically it would be extremely, extremely unlikely for you to play at that level.
That's not say that you can't - there are many late bloomers - but this is not a league for newbies.
Many ACHA Div III teams lack depth, and need practice players. I would encourage you to skate with the team this year, and take it from there.

JohnnyD

Nov 21, 2013
I helped coach an ACHA Div III team that made it to the Nationals this year. So, I can tell you what the level is.
About half of our players had either played Jr. A., Jr. B, or New England Prep School prior to joining our club. Our best defenseman could have easily played NCAA Div III if not Div I.
So, realistically it would be extremely, extremely unlikely for you to play at that level.
That's not say that you can't - there are many late bloomers - but this is not a league for newbies.
Many ACHA Div III teams lack depth, and need practice players. I would encourage you to skate with the team this year, and take it from there.

I guess I should find out a way to practice with the players whenever I choose a school.. Bummer, I was hoping to get to play :speechles. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
For a team that's going to Nationals, you probably couldn't make that team. But for an average team I say your chances are better. Maybe the following season?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I know that one or two of the schools compete in this conference. http://mens.dvchchockey.org/

I played a few of those schools. Pretty good teams, fast and physical. Honestly if you just started playing I think you'll have a hard time making the team. But if you stick with it consistently and try out your Junior/Senior years you might be able to earn a spot. But if you're picking it up at a fast pace who knows? Give it a shot.

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Don't be afraid to contact them for more info. Some schools have open house or practice sessions in the spring for prospective students. Not sure about any of the ones you are interested in though. Or at the very least review their rosters. See if they have player profiles that list what kinds of teams the current players were on before college. It may give you an idea of the level of competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad