Rumor: Abramov to the KHL

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Do you know if they would retain his rights indefinitely like most Russian prospects? Can’t find anything on the internet about it and I wonder if it doesn’t apply to him at all because he was drafted out of the QMJHL even if he’s a product of a Russian youth academy.

He's played pro in North America, so he's just a standard UFA I believe. As long as we qualify him we retain his rights for 2 more years until the age of 25 at which time he will qualify for Group 6 UFA status unless he comes back and plays a full NHL season the year after next.

So I guess that means that if he does play the next 2 seasons in Russia he's likely up for grabs if he wants to play in NA again.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Another player that was perpetually way over hyped by Sens fans.

Was he ever at any point considered a top 10 prospect of ours? Lol.

I feel like anyone who acknowledged his existence always considered him an intriguing long shot with some scoring upside, which he is... So we should have just all crapped on him during his tenure here - is that our takeaway from your post?

Reactions: cudi and Hutz

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Look at the date of this article : 31 Aug 2018, we traded Duchene to Columbus on Feb 22, 2019 so just a few months later

PROSPECT #1: VITALII ABRAMOV

Since acquired, Abramov scored 29 goals and 38 assists for 67 points in 92 AHL games (60 pts per 82 games)

I mean, it's pretty decent for a ~21 y/o prospect

What hurts him the most is his lack of defensive awareness IMO. But the rest of his game is surely NHL level.

If he doesn't pan out for us, that'd be only Thomson left from the Duchene fiasco

Did we get more for 30 y/o Brassard than both Duchene and Stone combined? lol

Bernard-Docker + Gustavsson vs Brannstrom + Thomson

But hold on... the 2nd round pick acquired in the Stone deal turned into... Egor Sokolov.

Right. Balcers didn't get a fair shake and was let go of. Same will likely happen to the two mentioned above.

I don't know if tahat rumor is true that Abramov is really leaving NA (after all these years investing in NA hockey, 6+ years) when he is on the verge of making the NHL. He was considered the best or among the best Jackets prospects when we acquired him and it's not like he has regressed since then. Since last season, he has 25 goals and 60 pts in 74 AHL games. And he didn't look out of place at all in his NHL games. But if it's true, it's unfortunate, he should wait next training camp and worse case go through waivers or traded to get another chance elsewhere.

I didn't necessarily see a long term future in Ottawa for Balcers and Abramov but it's more that they havent't really been treated like assets, but more like random 7th round picks that didn't pan out. The first 2 were significant pieces in firesale trades (EK, Duchene), Wolanin was a 4th round pick but became an excellent prospect, Chlapik was a 2nd round pick (leaving out Jaros because we at least got a pick back for him, a lotto ball to replace himb by another "good prospect" like he was before) :

Balcers + Abramov + Wolanin + Chlapik for Amadio

Ouch. I mean, ok I think everybody understands that there's a limited number of spots and not everyone can play but I would have liked to see things play out differently

Could have just been Balcers and Chlapik on the 23-man NHL roster to start the season (instead of Anisimov/Galchenyuk/Paquette, Anisimov/Stepan and Gudbranson/Josh Brown)

That would have given them a fair chance to prove themselves and maybe build a bit of value. The goal in those cases should be either :

- get a draft pick, which resets the clock as you get a younger prospect
- get a depth player or even an overpaid player but who could help your NHL team now.
- get maybe a solid AHL player that will help your AHL team and other prospects?
- get a similar prospect/young player that could benefit from a change of scenery

Yes, we are filthy rich in terms of U-25 assets but it doesn't mean I wouldn't want my manager to carefully manage the assets

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I've never once proclaimed to always be right. But im cool with the cheap shot.

Not saying you proclaimed to always be right... just that you look silly gloating and condescending over something like this. Every single prospect who has ever failed to make the NHL has had someone who thought they'd make it. Not exactly worth mentioning.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Wonder if Abramov and his agent are just trying to raise his stock with these rumours, maybe negotiate a one-way deal.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Look at the date of this article : 31 Aug 2018, we traded Duchene to Columbus on Feb 22, 2019 so just a few months later

PROSPECT #1: VITALII ABRAMOV

Since acquired, Abramov scored 29 goals and 38 assists for 67 points in 92 AHL games (60 pts per 82 games)

I mean, it's pretty decent for a ~21 y/o prospect

What hurts him the most is his lack of defensive awareness IMO. But the rest of his game is surely NHL level.

If he doesn't pan out for us, that'd be only Thomson left from the Duchene fiasco

Did we get more for 30 y/o Brassard than both Duchene and Stone combined? lol

Bernard-Docker + Gustavsson vs Brannstrom + Thomson

But hold on... the 2nd round pick acquired in the Stone deal turned into... Egor Sokolov.

I don't know if tahat rumor is true that Abramov is really leaving NA (after all these years investing in NA hockey, 6+ years) when he is on the verge of making the NHL. He was considered the best or among the best Jackets prospects when we acquired him and it's not like he has regressed since then. Since last season, he has 25 goals and 60 pts in 74 AHL games. And he didn't look out of place at all in his NHL games. But if it's true, it's unfortunate, he should wait next training camp and worse case go through waivers or traded to get another chance elsewhere.

I didn't necessarily see a long term future in Ottawa for Balcers and Abramov but it's more that they havent't really been treated like assets, but more like random 7th round picks that didn't pan out. The first 2 were significant pieces in firesale trades (EK, Duchene), Wolanin was a 4th round pick but became an excellent prospect, Chlapik was a 2nd round pick (leaving out Jaros because we at least got a pick back for him, a lotto ball to replace himb by another "good prospect" like he was before) :

Balcers + Abramov + Wolanin + Chlapik for Amadio

Ouch. I mean, ok I think everybody understands that there's a limited number of spots and not everyone can play but I would have liked to see things play out differently

Could have just been Balcers and Chlapik on the 23-man NHL roster to start the season (instead of Anisimov/Galchenyuk/Paquette, Anisimov/Stepan and Gudbranson/Josh Brown)

That would have given them a fair chance to prove themselves and maybe build a bit of value. The goal in those cases should be either :

- get a draft pick, which resets the clock as you get a younger prospect
- get a depth player or even an overpaid player but who could help your NHL team now.
- get maybe a solid AHL player that will help your AHL team and other prospects?
- get a similar prospect/young player that could benefit from a change of scenery

Yes, we are filthy rich in terms of U-25 assets but it doesn't mean I wouldn't want my manager to carefully manage the assets

Very true. Cupboards have to always be stocked.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad