Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Absolutely agree.....no longer are the Canucks forced to dramatically overpay for the likes of Roussel, Beagle, Schaller, Eriksson etc..etc. every off-season.

They now have cheaper replacements for these depth players on the farm.....and when they do expend precious UFA dollars in the off-season, it's on the likes of Soucy or Blueger and Suter on short-term deals.
You make a valid point. The Canucks treated the Comets as nothing more than a storage spot for surplus NHL depth players rather than as a place for players to develop, so they did pretty much have to go the free agent route to get their depth.

On the other hand in making this point you're being really diplomatic. Not being a diplomat, I'll jump in and say that despite not developing players in the minors, the Canucks were never forced to dramatically overpay but rather chose to pay what they did.

From my point of view, kudos to management for placing players in the AHL to develop and for having a reasonable handle on what a 4th liner should be paid.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Zlodeyev has played sparingly this year, but has shown a few flashes including his first and only AHL goal.

And he gets in fast on the forecheck and his skating looks good enough.....but he just doesn't get much accomplished out there. One thing he does have going for him is that he's a natural center. But in order to get better, he needs to play. And that just isn't happening.

Not sure what his future is. He's on an AHL contract....and it's probably less than 50/50 that he eventually earns a two-way NHL deal.
Zlodeyev's stats are what one would expect of someone on track to sign another minor league contract for next season (possibly with some other organization) or, more likely, return to Europe this summer and spend the rest of his career there.

Reactions: Zarpan

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
2-1 Canucks after what looked like a phantom tripping call led to a Calgary power play goal.

Edit: Wouters empty netter, 3-1 final

Reactions: Lindgren

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Zlodeyev has played sparingly this year, but has shown a few flashes including his first and only AHL goal.

And he gets in fast on the forecheck and his skating looks good enough.....but he just doesn't get much accomplished out there. One thing he does have going for him is that he's a natural center. But in order to get better, he needs to play. And that just isn't happening.

Not sure what his future is. He's on an AHL contract....and it's probably less than 50/50 that he eventually earns a two-way NHL deal.

He's 22 years old and has 1 career point in each of the AHL and KHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks with 3-1 win on the road in the Saddledome. Both teams played at times like they were waiting for the regular season to come to an end, even though there was a lot on the line in this game.

The two teams came into the contest separated by only a single point in the standings....but now the Canucks have consolidated their hold on fifth.

Bains and Dries were probably the best Canuck forwards. But the story was Tolopilo who was voted the first star. Turned aside a number of dangerous chances from the Wranglers. Dries, Nielsen and Wouters with an empty-netter took care of the scoring.

The only other item of note in this game was the kind of surprise dressing of Saywer Mynio, who wore #45 and played a regular shift with Filip Johansson as his partner. Kind of an uneventful game for him, but the fact that he got into an AHL game at all is kind of encouraging.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019

Six shots on net over 21 games played. I really like his defensive instincts and his speed, but he's an undersized center who doesn't PK and doesn't generate much for offence for himself or his linemates. I commend him for giving up a possible KHL/VHL payday to shoot for the moon in North America. Don't see too many Russian/Euro players taking AHL contracts to try and make it. I respect that self-belief.

I do think there could be something of a utility bottom six PK guy there...it just might peak at the AHL level. Nothing wrong with that. Not taking up a contract slot. Not costing the team anything. Just a neat story!

Sawyer Mynio alternated some shaky rookie shifts against Calgary's top six with totally competent unremarkable shifts in transition or on o-zone cycles. Honestly, pretty good stuff for an 18-year-old kid with a lot of junior habits still baked in!

His first shift was a total thrown-to-the-wolves moment. Trent Cull was ruthless in the matchups, haha. D-zone faceoff with 6'8" Adam Klapka blowing past him for a tap-in attempt at the net front. Probably the best way to get a young prospect to have an "a-ha!" moment RE: what they need to do to succeed at this level. Refs threw him a couple of bones last night, didn't call him for draping his arm around checks that had a step on him toward the net. Liked how he moved the puck. Crisp outlet passes, good instincts in the offensive zone, and good reads on d-zone breakouts. Just usual young-guy problems: coasting on his edges too much while defending the cycle, little too soft with his stick, and not nearly active enough in being disruptive even if positioning was sound.

Another prospects camp, training camp, year in the dub. Add some size, lower body strength, core strength, and there could be something here!

I did a bit of a shift-by-shift on Mynio's debut if anyone cares!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Appreciated that 'shift by shift' breakdown of Mynio's first AHL game on the Canucks Army site.

As you might expect, he struggled at times with the physicality, particularly in front of the net. But when you're suddenly facing forwards like 6'8" Adam Klapka, it's going to be tough at the best of times.

But it's impossible to understate how important it is for these young 18-year olds to get their first taste of what it's going to take to transition to pro hockey. It'll definitely help him, come training camp next September.

Abbotsford Canucks with only three games left. But now that Lekerimakki has departed for Sweden, maybe they can get Mueller or Felton into a game to see where they're at.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Appreciated that 'shift by shift' breakdown of Mynio's first AHL game on the Canucks Army site.

As you might expect, he struggled at times with the physicality, particularly in front of the net. But when you're suddenly facing forwards like 6'8" Adam Klapka, it's going to be tough at the best of times.

But it's impossible to understate how important it is for these young 18-year olds to get their first taste of what it's going to take to transition to pro hockey. It'll definitely help him, come training camp next September.

Abbotsford Canucks with only three games left. But now that Lekerimakki has departed for Sweden, maybe they can get Mueller or Felton into a game to see where they're at.
You mean "overstate' (sorry, but it's a peeve of mine).

Reactions: Snatcher Demko

Feb 20, 2013
Six shots on net over 21 games played. I really like his defensive instincts and his speed, but he's an undersized center who doesn't PK and doesn't generate much for offence for himself or his linemates. I commend him for giving up a possible KHL/VHL payday to shoot for the moon in North America. Don't see too many Russian/Euro players taking AHL contracts to try and make it. I respect that self-belief.

I do think there could be something of a utility bottom six PK guy there...it just might peak at the AHL level. Nothing wrong with that. Not taking up a contract slot. Not costing the team anything. Just a neat story!

Sawyer Mynio alternated some shaky rookie shifts against Calgary's top six with totally competent unremarkable shifts in transition or on o-zone cycles. Honestly, pretty good stuff for an 18-year-old kid with a lot of junior habits still baked in!

His first shift was a total thrown-to-the-wolves moment. Trent Cull was ruthless in the matchups, haha. D-zone faceoff with 6'8" Adam Klapka blowing past him for a tap-in attempt at the net front. Probably the best way to get a young prospect to have an "a-ha!" moment RE: what they need to do to succeed at this level. Refs threw him a couple of bones last night, didn't call him for draping his arm around checks that had a step on him toward the net. Liked how he moved the puck. Crisp outlet passes, good instincts in the offensive zone, and good reads on d-zone breakouts. Just usual young-guy problems: coasting on his edges too much while defending the cycle, little too soft with his stick, and not nearly active enough in being disruptive even if positioning was sound.

Another prospects camp, training camp, year in the dub. Add some size, lower body strength, core strength, and there could be something here!

I did a bit of a shift-by-shift on Mynio's debut if anyone cares!

Really good analysis.

He didn't get a lot of ice time, deferred a lot to his partners (often Brisebois) on retrievals, made some rushed decisions, and definitely looked nervous overall. That said, he is a good skater and his hands looked more than adequate. Exciting to see him play at this level regardless! I am very high on him as a prospect (I would have him as the Canucks' third best after Lekkerimaki and Willander).

As an aside, even without someone doing colour, Sandra Prusina is a breath of fresh air on the play-by-play for Calgary after watching those games in Colorado a few weeks ago. Half the time I have to mute the announcers for these away games, but she is totally reasonable to listen to.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Who's got tonight's game?
Abby has it, 3-1. So they took both games in Calgary, and now they need to take another two against the Wranglers at home (in order to have a shot at home-ice advantage in round one).

Pettersson was back in for Mynio.

Reactions: ManVanFan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another kind of lackluster game, but as the road team, the Canucks will take 'boring' all day long.

Of course with all of the injuries and callups, this Wranglers team is a pretty pale shadow of what they usually are--and I suspect they'll be a lot tougher out in the playoffs when they get everyone back.

Tristan Nielsen broke a 1-1 deadlock with a goal midway through third....and Linus Karlsson iced it into an empty net. Sawchenko only allowed one goal to leak through his pads, but really didn't have much to do. Nielsen and Ty Glover, who scored a kind of fluky goal in the first period, were stars #1 and #2.

Continue to be impressed with Sasson's skating ability. He makes it look effortless out there and has supreme edgework, where he can buy himself time and space in the offensive zone. I don't know if he'll be anything other than a 'checking center' at the NHL-level, but he certainly skates well enough to make the parent Canucks one day.

Abbotsford moved into a three-way tie for second in the Pacific. But it could be short-lived. They only have two games remaining, while all the other teams around them still have five or even six left.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Toughest WHL player available in this draft (and I can't imagine there are too many tougher in other leagues) is Joe Arntsen of the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

He's a 2003 re-entry who fell through the COVID cracks last year and had a really nice breakout season this year, and I'm amazed he doesn't seem to be ranked by any of the scouting services.

6'2 200 defender who really broke out offensively - 37 points for the season, but 30 of those came in his final 45 games, and he was getting PP reps for Lethbridge. Skating isn't great but there are definitely some things to work with there and he's absolutely tough as nails. I'd think he should go somewhere in the 4th-5th round range.

Sounds like he might be able to provide some protection in Abbotsford as long as he can keep up with the AHL pace.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Sounds like he might be able to provide some protection in Abbotsford as long as he can keep up with the AHL pace.
Not sure Arnston is in the heavy wieght category. Team likely still looking for vet here. But does sound like he brings toughness and can play some. Think they see him as possible player rather than just a protector.

Almost a guarantee he fights in one of the prospects game

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Not sure Arnston is in the heavy wieght category. Team likely still looking for vet here. But does sound like he brings toughness and can play some. Think they see him as possible player rather than just a protector.

Almost a guarantee he fights in one of the prospects game
I know hockeydb is often inaccurate with their size listings but they have him at 6’3” and 211 pounds now.

Also, I’m not sure how many other fights he has online, and don’t know much of anything about the guys he fought in the videos above posted by MS but he looks good in each of them (although he really does leave himself open to take big punches to the melon).

His counting numbers are really poor for an overager (especially considering MS posted he had something like 30 points in his last 45 games last year).

Anyways, let’s hope they can work with him and turn him into something.
Probably a guy that has Cicek type of upside, but I’m just guessing.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Abby hosts Calgary tonight and tomorrow night to close out their regular season. I believe that they need to take both games to have a shot at moving up one spot in the standings and having home-ice advantage in the first round.

I'm curious about line-up decisions in these games. I guess they'll split the goal between Tolopilo and Silovs. But will Pettersson play, or will they go almost with all lefties on the back again?

I'd like to see Raty and Sasson get hot again (obviously ...), both for what that suggests about chances in the playoffs and what it might mean for next year.

And it'd be nice if Wolanin could finally recover his form from last season.

Reactions: alternate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad