Aaron Ekblad gaining Norris Consideration? And Hart?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Steve Kouleas of NHL Radio is saying in both fancy and regular stats, Ekblad is looking great and he should be a finalist for the Norris

He Also recognized how much better we looked with Eks vs without and should be in the conversation to be the 3rd finalist behind Kane and Holtby for the Hart.

Eddie Olzyck agreed.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Steve Kouleas of NHL Radio is saying in both fancy and regular stats, Ekblad is looking great and he should be a finalist for the Norris

He Also recognized how much better we looked with Eks vs without and should be in the conversation to be the 3rd finalist behind Kane and Holtby for the Hart.

Eddie Olzyck agreed.

Wow, that is awesome to hear. That will piss off the Karlsson crowd though!

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Wow. I think it's a little to early for that kind of consideration, but awesome that he's being recognized nonetheless.

EstConf96*

My prediction is that in 2-3 years time Ekblad will be a solid top 5 defender in the NHL. In 4-5 years he will be in the running for the Norris each year. Im going all out homer here not my style but can't help it when it comes to Ekblad. The homer in me would not even trade him for McDavid.

Ekblad is our pick our star and the future of this team hopefully for the entire span of his career.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Will defensive play matter in Norris voting? The last few years the Norris was basically given to the best offensive dman. If defense is taken into account he has a chance.

5v5 Goal for %: Josi 49.2, Karlsson 50.5, Seabrook 50.8, Keith 52.8, Subban 55.3, Klingberg 55.6, Sutter 55.9, McDonagh 55.9, Vlasic 57.4, Doughty 58.3, Niskanen 59.6, Hedman 60, Ekblad 66. He gets scored on a lot less than any of the other

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Will defensive play matter in Norris voting? The last few years the Norris was basically given to the best offensive dman. If defense is taken into account he has a chance.

5v5 Goal for %: Josi 49.2, Karlsson 50.5, Seabrook 50.8, Keith 52.8, Subban 55.3, Klingberg 55.6, Sutter 55.9, McDonagh 55.9, Vlasic 57.4, Doughty 58.3, Niskanen 59.6, Hedman 60, Ekblad 66. He gets scored on a lot less than any of the other

Precisely what Barnaby just brought up.

he feels Ekblad deserves the recognition and candidacy, but mentioned that because of where Subban and Karlsson play, and their point production, they will get it again.

he mentioned something has to be done to factor in defense more. He feels Doughty should be in the conversation and said players like Ekblad, Doughty, and Keith could get more points but they care too much about winning and defense.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
My prediction is that in 2-3 years time Ekblad will be a solid top 5 defender in the NHL. In 4-5 years he will be in the running for the Norris each year. Im going all out homer here not my style but can't help it when it comes to Ekblad. The homer in me would not even trade him for McDavid.

Ekblad is our pick our star and the future of this team hopefully for the entire span of his career.

I agree with all of the above. Injuries aside, he looks to be a top 5 defenseman early into his second contract.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
And remember some wanted the pick traded or a forward taken...

This kid has been a beast since forever, like the Tavares', the Crosby's, the McDavid's !

If he is lucky, and I mean healthy... He will have one damn fine career.

Said so since the beginning, he is elite.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Nomination would be great but Karlsson is the clear winner at this point.

The Sens barely outscore the opponent when Karlsson is on the ice 5v5. So is 30 points or so at 5v5 is basically negated by his poor defense.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Norris goes to the most point scoring d-man these days.

It's Karlsson's to lose until the NHL changes that standard.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Jonathan Davis, LA Kings insider just weighed in

His 3 are Doughty, OEL, and feels Ekblad should be in that conversation and is his 3rd.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How much do they value minutes these guys logg?

Looking at Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, OEL they are logging top #1D minutes when Ekblad has been kept around 20-21min.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
How much do they value minutes these guys logg?

Looking at Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, OEL they are logging top #1D minutes when Ekblad has been kept around 20-21min.

Quality over Quantity maybe? They actually felt that the minutes he plays for his age is a big deal

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Quality over Quantity maybe? They actually felt that the minutes he plays for his age is a big deal

I was just thinking how they value those, and can they look at it like that if they are talking Norris which should mean the best defenseman in the league?

He is damm impressive and wouldn't be surprised to see him there even in 1-2 years but this year seems too early, my guesses being limited pk role with top4 minutes(which is not Ekblads fault), would be nice to see him get bigger minutes but the defense group is amazing and allows them to play every pairing quite equally.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I love that the only knock people can come with on ekblad are his offensive zone starts and lack of PK time. Sorry that the Panthers have great depth on D and don't need to play him 30+ minutes a game in every situation to have a chance each night like other teams do. (looking at you ottawa)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad