toronto
Horrible trade for both sides.
And as a leafs lifer no chance I'd do it 1 for 1

Which is more likely
Marner puts up above average numbers as a top 6 for 15years
Or
Ek stays healthy enough to play 1/2 a season for his contract length

No thanks to the risk for me
I like how it's so easy to predict marner will be an above average winger but Ekblad is lucky to play half a season. Got the winning lottery numbers?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I like how it's so easy to predict marner will be an above average winger but Ekblad is lucky to play half a season. Got the winning lottery numbers?

Even if I agree, wouldn't you say the argument of health is a legitimate one? If the team is trading one of their franchise players for him, then being worried he either retires medically or doesn't live up to his contract is something to consider.

For me, the risk is too great. More things need to go right for Ekblad to rebound than things to go wrong for him not too. He not only needs to find his game again, but he needs to stay healthy.

I think at best, this is a wait and see trade. Toronto declines for now.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Even if I agree, wouldn't you say the argument of health is a legitimate one? If the team is trading one of their franchise players for him, then being worried he either retires medically or doesn't live up to his contract is something to consider.

For me, the risk is too great. More things need to go right for Ekblad to rebound than things to go wrong for him not too. He not only needs to find his game again, but he needs to stay healthy.

im not disagreeing about his health. But he basically said that marner WILL be an above average player while Ekblad won't. You can't predict he will be an above average player. He may turn out to be a 55-60 point player and Ekblad could be healthy. It's easy to say one will but the other won't.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
im not disagreeing about his health. But he basically said that marner WILL be an above average player while Ekblad won't. You can't predict he will be an above average player. He may turn out to be a 55-60 point player and Ekblad could be healthy. It's easy to say one will but the other won't.

60 pts is above average.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Fair enough but that's not reaching his potential.

I think the guy you replied to originally was being a little hyperbolic for sure. But the risk of injuries getting in the way of each player's development/career is probably greater with Ekblad given the history, I think that point stands

Florida would also have to add their 2018 and 2019 1st round picks.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Were you serious with this comment??????

I'm a Leaf fan, that comment was at least as ridiculous as the idea of Ekblad returning Marner&Nylander, probably moreso. Barkov is probably the most valuable of the 4 of those guys, I'd do that 1 for 1 for Marner and I'm sure Florida wouldn't

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

That could be said for a lot of players. Every player in the league is one head injury away from retiring. If you have this narrative about Ekblad's value you need to have it for Nylander's value too.

If I was Toronto I would jump on this trade. I think Ekblad is worth more (to Toronto) and one bad/injured season doesn't make is value/status dip like some suggest here.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
That could be said for a lot of players. Every player in the league is one head injury away from retiring. If you have this narrative about Ekblad's value you need to have it for Nylander's value too.

If I was Toronto I would jump on this trade. I think Ekblad is worth more (to Toronto) and one bad/injured season doesn't make is value/status dip like some suggest here.

You're talking about his injuries as if they're fluke leg bruises. Concussions stack, each consecutive one makes a future one more likely to happen and more likely to be serious. 3 or more concussions in 3 years is a huge red flag, especially for a defenseman that is targetted on the forecheck for 20+ minutes every night.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Come on, I am a Leaf fan and this is ridiculous. Problem is Leaf fans fall in love with their players and therefore cannot look at deals objectively. Unless there are serious concussion concerns Ekblad >> Marner.

I don't know how this is still going on and on. Is it just a few leaf fans or do the majority actually believe that Marner is worth Ekblad? Putting aside the concussion issues its not really close. I'm sure Lou does a Marner for Ekblad trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday as long as he can make the cap space. And the concussion/health issues seem to be minor. Which reportedly they are.

The quote at the top should be very common in this thread.

All fan bases are guilty of over valuing their players but the extent of the protests in this thread seem overzealous to say the least.

Marner looks great, is likely to get better, but Toronto needs defense badly. I see no reason for Florida to do this trade and all the reasons for Toronto to outside of health of Ekblad.

Eberle was amazing the year he got 34 goals and 76 points. Amazing. Guaranteed he gets traded for an Ekblad level RD no questions asked even after a year like that.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Some of you are equating Marner to be the next Mario. He's a small-ish winger that has yet to face real adversity at this level.

Maybe he should hit 80 games before he's elevated to demi-god status.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I think he's better then Matthews honestly, or the same level.

Size: Matthews
Scoring: Matthews
Playmaking: Marner
defence: Marner

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Some of you are equating Marner to be the next Mario. He's a small-ish winger that has yet to face real adversity at this level.

Maybe he should hit 80 games before he's elevated to demi-god status.

Nobody is equating him to be the next Mario and what does his size have to do with anything, Patrick Kane a Gaudreau are "smallish wingers" too, and Marner is very much tracking to be that level of player - where on the spectrum he lands is anyone's guess at this point.

Ekblad is not the kind of return many of us would want for Marner, he has the concussion history and didn't look very good when playing last year. These are two negatives and a major concern that just isn't worth the gamble for the Leafs.

Feb 24, 2017
Ekblad is not the kind of return many of us would want for Marner.

This works out perfectly then, because the other 30 fan bases are able to view this one clearly, without the blue goggles, and wouldn't in a million years trade Ekblad for a non elite, smallish, soft winger.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
No one knows if marner will stay healthy. His neck is thicc though, guy gained muscle mass on that skinny frame this offseason. Injured ekblad for marner, yeah no

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
This works out perfectly then, because the other 30 fan bases are able to view this one clearly, without the blue goggles, and wouldn't in a million years trade Ekblad for a non elite, smallish, soft winger.

:laugh:

Ok then. Everyone is happy.

Btw, that "non elite, smallish, soft winger" is better than anyone in your entire organization.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
:laugh:

Ok then. Everyone is happy.

Btw, that "non elite, smallish, soft winger" is better than anyone in your entire organization.

I think the poster you replied to's comment is terrible too, but that kind of statement just starts fights. not worth it

Let the anti leafers say what they will. You'll never convince them. Give Marner some time and we'll get the last laugh

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad