Proposal: Aaron Ekblad For Mitch Marner

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Marner doesnt get ekblad 1 for 1 Toronto needs to add

Ekbla carries more risk but is worth more as to position and value. Both produce well.
To even start conversation. Leafs eat nearly 4 to get that crazy hair below 11m per down to 7. Then talk can begin.
Leafs add Liljgren, +, Panthers a small +

Or maybe if Leafs going all in, they take Stralman's last 2 yrs at 5.5 per also in exchange for swag.
Tho THAT would fully decimate FL RD, it would = clean slate and signif cap relief. Build around younger Marner adding to Barkov and take chances on D short term.

The only thing making it close to even in value is that Marner is on his ELC. Otherwise Toronto adds big time.
His salary is a hair below 11m per, no?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Interesting trade proposal.

Marner is a fantastic player and impacts games more, so he deserves to be paid more. Having said that, he’s slightly over paid. Using Rantanen as a comp, Marner should be paid between 9 and 9.25 million.

On the other hand, Ekblad, while less impactful, is the more difficult to replace of the two. So for the sake of comparative value, we can give him a small bump of 1-1.5 million.

As players, it’s roughly even. But with contracts, Florida is overpaying in the transaction by around 1.5 million.

Ideally, Florida sends back a small undesirable contract. But with rosters in flux, that might not work. So the alternative then becomes draft picks or futures. Swapping #15 and 43 seems fair.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
In what regard?

History of at least 4 known concussions.
Granted, inexplicably, bucking all odds, he has demonstrated there is no basis to immediately expect them to be a factor, and it is conceded like a Timex, he takes a licking but keeps on ticking.
However, those injuries are not like a broken arm.
There IS outside risk this is a prob. b'c cumulative possible risk.

ALL players in NHL at concussion risk, one bad hit can end a career, take away a guy's game and he's never the same. But when you already have concussion history, it adds to that risk vs. someone fortunate enough not to have been.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
Ekbla carries more risk but is worth more as to position and value. Both produce well.
To even start conversation. Leafs eat nearly 4 to get that crazy hair below 11m per down to 7. Then talk can begin.
Leafs add Liljgren, +, Panthers a small +

Or maybe if Leafs going all in, they take Stralman's last 2 yrs at 5.5 per also in exchange for swag.
Tho THAT would fully decimate FL RD, it would = clean slate and signif cap relief. Build around younger Marner adding to Barkov and take chances on D short term.

His salary is a hair below 11m per, no?
Look at the date of this comment

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Fair in a bubble. Not fair given Fla needs. Their defence is already bad, so I don't see how trading their best defenceman alleviates any problems. Leafs pov, hate to give up marner, but I'd do a straight across for what ekblad can provide.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Marner is a fantastic player and impacts games more, so he deserves to be paid more. Having said that, he’s slightly over paid. Using Rantanen as a comp, Marner should be paid between 9 and 9.25 million.

Then that's about $2m overpaid. A bit more than "slightly".

On the other hand, Ekblad, while less impactful, is the more difficult to replace of the two. So for the sake of comparative value, we can give him a small bump of 1-1.5 million.

As players, it’s roughly even. But with contracts, Florida is overpaying in the transaction by around 1.5 million.

Ideally, Florida sends back a small undesirable contract. But with rosters in flux, that might not work. So the alternative then becomes draft picks or futures. Swapping #15 and 43 seems fair.

I think Lilejgren would be better for Florida than sacking a bad short-term contract. Florida is in such a bad spot with their defensive contracts and Bobrovsky. Gonna be awhile before they can really compete. So some young players on ELC and short-term bridge deals will help buy some time for development and bad contracts to fall off

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Then that's about $2m overpaid. A bit more than "slightly".

I think Lilejgren would be better for Florida than sacking a bad short-term contract. Florida is in such a bad spot with their defensive contracts and Bobrovsky. Gonna be awhile before they can really compete. So some young players on ELC and short-term bridge deals will help buy some time for development and bad contracts to fall off

You’re saying Marner + Lilejgren for Ekblad instead of Marner + 15 for Ekblad +43?

Cotton

May 13, 2013

I really don’t think Marner is the easier of the two to replace. We could replace him with an inferior RW, just as the Panthers can Ekblad with an inferior RD. But Marner has a unique skill-set and hasn’t reached his prime years. He is also a level of talent above Ekblad’s head, but is overpaid about 1.5M.

If desperate enough maybe in a 1-for-1, but I still wouldn’t do it even though Ekblad is a need. There are other options, including a much better one in Petro.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
As a Red Wings fan, Marner+Lilejgren for Ekblad+Tippett/43/whatever is a trade I’d hate to see happen. I think it makes both teams a lot better.

Huberdeau+Barkov+Marner would feast on bad defenses. Reilly+Ekblad would roll teams in transition, exactly how Keefe wants to play. Yikes.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
As a Red Wings fan, Marner+Lilejgren for Ekblad+Tippett/43/whatever is a trade I’d hate to see happen. I think it makes both teams a lot better.

Huberdeau+Barkov+Marner would feast on bad defenses. Reilly+Ekblad would roll teams in transition, exactly how Keefe wants to play. Yikes.

Huberdeau- Barkov-Marner better score 7 goals a game because were gonna give up 6 a night with that defense sans Ekblad.

Ekblad is not moving, there's no way our defense gets better unless we're doing Parayko type + really good add

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Not saying the Leafs should do this but with Reilly being ufa in two years It may work.

To
Florida
Reilly
Liljegren
Nylander

To
Toronto
Ekblad
12th overall
Tippett

Florida gets a 1 LD an nhl ready Rd and a top line Rw. Each toronto player is owed less money then their cap hit.
Toronto gets their 1 rd a very good pick to draft askarov or quinn, and a very good young player in Tippett. It also opens up cap space for another ufa d man.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Not saying the Leafs should do this but with Reilly being ufa in two years It may work.

To
Florida
Reilly
Liljegren
Nylander

To
Toronto
Ekblad
12th overall
Tippett

Florida gets a 1 LD an nhl ready Rd and a top line Rw. Each toronto player is owed less money then their cap hit.
Toronto gets their 1 rd a very good pick to draft askarov or quinn, and a very good young player in Tippett. It also opens up cap space for another ufa d man.
Not terrible value. I'm not sure if it makes sense with the depth in our prospect system though: Nylander could be the answer at 2C, but we're penciling Tippett in at 2RW right-wing..

Good offer :)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

To
Florida
Reilly
Liljegren
Nylander

To
Toronto
Ekblad
12th overall
Tippett

Nah. Prefer Ekblads 5 guaranteed years locked up at 7.5.
Rielly will get more than that and just don't think this is the right fit for FLA.
We want to add to the D, not do a lateral move/LD-RD swap.

Too many moving pieces within same division

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Nah. Prefer Ekblads 5 guaranteed years locked up at 7.5.
Rielly will get more than that and just don't think this is the right fit for FLA.
We want to add to the D, not do a lateral move/LD-RD swap.
Eh, if we downgrade from Tippett to say Serron, I'm very open. We give up the most valuable asset (long-term signed RD), but clearly the 2nd and 3rd best asset. If Nylander can play center (not sure), I do think we might be a better team over next two seasons than with EKblad.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

To
Florida
Reilly
Liljegren
Nylander

To
Toronto
Ekblad
12th overall
Tippett

Change Lilgegren to Sandin, and then I could see FLA more interested.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Eh, if we downgrade from Tippett to say Serron, I'm very open. We give up the most valuable asset (long-term signed RD), but clearly the 2nd and 3rd best asset. If Nylander can play center (not sure), I do think we might be a better team over next two seasons than with EKblad.

Agree to disagree on this one amigo. Really against trading Ekblad at all, let alone in the same division.

Reactions: violaswallet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad