A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
ATD10-AAA Quarterfinal Playoff Round:

Japan Killer Whales

coaches: Al MacNeil, Brent Sutter

Darcy Rota - Alexei Yashin - Haviland Routh
Andre Boudrias - Pelle Eklund - Steve Sullivan
Miroslav Satan - Ted Hampson (A) - Pat Flatley (A)
Greg Gilbert - Art Jackson - Glenn Brydson
Alexei Zhamnov

Allan Cameron (C) - Willie Huber
Gordie Roberts - Gord Lane
Jocelyn Guevremont - Craig Rivet
Pat Quinn

Tom Paton
Alfie Moore

vs.

Montreal Victorias

coach: Fred Maxwell

Todd Bertuzzi - Clarence McKerrow (C) - Mikael Renberg
Petr Klima - Ivan Boldirev - Wildor Larochelle
Ted Irvine - Terry Crisp - Paul Holmgren
Armand Mondou - Alf Pike - Martin Lapointe
Mike Sillinger

Weldy Young - Fred Maxwell
Doug Lidster - Harold Snepsts
Gary Nylund - Patrice Brisebois
Benny Woit

Vladimir Myshkin
Nikolay Puchkov
Jimmy Foster​

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
New Lines for K-Whales

Darcy Rota - Alexei Yashin - Haviland Routh
Andre Boudrias - Pelle Eklund - Steve Sullivan
Greg Gilbert - Ted Hampson (A) - Pat Flatley (A)
Miroslav Satan - Art Jackson - Glenn Brydson
Alexei Zhamnov

Last edited:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
W'll try to line up the Killer Whales first line against our third line everytime we can. The Duo Holmgren-Crisp is one of the best in the Draft in term of defensive abilities and physical presence (Holmgren). If the Killer Whales try not to confront his first line to our thirs, especially when his at home, we'll be comfortable with our first line to play against them. Clarence McKerrow is one of the best two-way player of his time.

I've been vocal about my love of Tom Paton. However, I feel I have a small edge in term of overall abilities of both my goaltenders. The Myshkin-Puchkov duo is the best in the draft.

The defensive corp is pretty equal. Allan Cameron has been name the best player in the AAA, and rightfully so. Weldy Young is not far behind in term of overall abilities. I may not have the best D-Corp in the draft, but they can give me a good transitional game which will help my offense a lot.

Anyway, should be a very close serie, like the regular season show. Good Luck to you CR.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I've also sung Cameron's praises. it is nice to see that after this, he will never be overlooked in the MLD again - maybe someone will even take him as a #7 in the ATD, who knows. That said, EB is right that Weldy Young isn't that far behind him. He was definitely one of the best of his time. Here's a few things I read about him in the Ottawa Senators history book I recently finished:

- Was the Senators captain for two seasons

- Was known for spectacular rushes, usually resulting in a shot on goal or a sharp pass

- Occasionally would lose control of the puck and not get back in time to defend. Pulford bailed him out often.

- He was not above taking a vicious slash at an opponent's ankle or going after a heckler.

At this level he is a top-rate player and he made my top-5 in voting. My only concern is, is Steamer Maxwell the guy you want covering the odd-man rushes Young will create?

EB is also right that Crisp and Holmgren are a great 3rd line duo. I like Hampson and Flatley too, but not as much, and what's Satan doing there? It's probably too late for a lineup change you may want to put him at RW on the second line, send Gilbert up to a 3rd line where he belongs, and drop Sullivan, who is not nearly as good as Satan, to the 4th line LW spot for next round, if you get through this series. Sullivan is probably a lot like Ronning and suffers from the same criticism I sent towards Cliff: He was never close to the best player in the game, he's just been pretty consistent.

I don't necessarily like Rota as a first liner, but I like him with Yashin and Routh. Yashin is probably the best goalscorer and playmaker on this line, but he can utilize his playmaking ability more with a speedster like Routh beside him. Rota can be the line's digger. I see it working. I get the impression Routh was a bit of an individualist, though. If he can mesh with Yashin, this is a AAA combination from heaven, if not, look out.

Personally, I would have Lidster and Snepsts as a 3rd pairing and wouldn't take Nylund or Brisebois at all. I think netminding is too tough to call. Like the other series, I'm not looking forward to having to vote on this.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Alright..well ill try to do this.

- First off....Satan and Gilbert were supposed to be switched (Satan on 4th, Gilbert on 3rd...thats my fault)

- Goaltending is very close between Myshkin and Paton. Probably the two best goaltenders in the draft. It is very close but I believe (and Eagle agreed) that Paton is the best goaltender in the draft. However, Myshkin is still one of the best. The game will not be won or lost based on goaltending as both goalies are dominant.

- Although Young and Cameron are very close, and are two of the best players in the draft...we feel we have the better of the next-5. We fully believe that the speed of our forward lines will take advantage of defenseman like Snepsts, who clearly was not a mobile defenseman. Young can make the rush..but as 70'slord pointed out..with Maxwell and a forward back there..and our team who are great at stealing the puck away will use their speed to take advantage of the two covering the points. Willie Huber was a big defenseman who good at taking others out of the play with his stick and also was very good offensively. Gordie Roberts and Gord Lane combine Gordie's skating and puck moving abilities with Lane's shutdown ability. We are comfortable with Laner back at the point. Guevremont and Rivet, like the second-line, can do it all on the point when you combine their abilities.

- I believe it's the forwards, where we win this battle and should ultimately win us the series. The first line, like VanI said, is a bit of a mess. McKerrow is one of the best centers in the draft, but I don't really see Bertuzzi and Renberg has two wingers who will effectively help him out. Neither will provide the goalscoring needed to keep our 3rd line from shutting them down. If they don't want to play their first line against our third line..we are more than happy playing our two-way 2nd line against them. The second line is pretty good but again we expect to limit their scoring pretty well. We aren't really worried about our first line. Yashin is a fantastic offensive player for this draft and Routh is one of the best speed/sniping combo's in the draft. Darcy Rota had a 40 goal season and we are comfortable with him finishing off any plays he needs too. Our second line, as previously stated is a fast, two-way line that we are very confident is one of the best 2nd lines in the draft. Steve Sullivan was teriffic short handed and had incredible speed that should tear apart any less mobile defenseman, like Snepsts. Pelle Eklund was a two-way gifted offensive center with great playmaking ability. Boudrais was also a very good two-way player and compliments Sully and Ek well. Gilbert-Hampson-Flatley as our third line should be able to shut down whatever of their scoring lines that we face. They not only are good defensively, but can quickly turn a takeaway into a scoring opportunity and it should be a matchup in our favour with whoever their matched up with. 4th line, with Satan-Jackson-Brydson combines a great playmaker in Jackson, a good finisher in Satan, and the hard-working, battler in Brydson. Good luck with our forwards Montreal...your going to need it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad