Proposal: A trade around Kadri and Trouba

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If Trouba wasn't an accepting of his 6mil QO away from being a pending UFA I'd probably do it.
but yeah, they would have to have a deal worked out. Something like 6x6-6.5

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Kadri produces at a top 30 C rate in the league, back to back 30g seasons, and plays the hardest QoC signed for the next 4 years (all prime years) and is rarely misses time to injury.

Many Leaf fans think he's expendable, but he can anchor a line and in home ice match ups free's Matthews and Tavares from defensive match ups.

Did your Xbox break or something, or is NHL 19 not out yet? Spare part? 3rd line C? Haha

Understatement. Dude is 9th among C in goals the last 2 seasons.....9th
oh and he will go up against the other teams top lines so Matthews and JT can do their thing. WHat a huge upgrade he would be on Little/Perrault but the leafs arent just moving him out of the goodness of their hearts

Reactions: exporta

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
If Trouba wasn't an accepting of his 6mil QO away from being a pending UFA I'd probably do it.
If Trouba was signed to a long term contract like that, there would be no trade to talk about. Kadri would have less than zero interest to the Jets in that case.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
:laugh: You honestly think that Trouba will sign long term for only $500,000 to $1 million more then what he's currently making now. Get real no way Trouba signs that low you're not getting Trouba for any thing less then $7 million per and probably way more then that.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
oh and he will go up against the other teams top lines so Matthews and JT can do their thing. WHat a huge upgrade he would be on Little/Perrault but the leafs arent just moving him out of the goodness of their hearts
Kadri wouldn't be up against Little or Perreault. Perreault is a LW and Kadri isn't a good enough playmaker to play on the second line. So, he'd be up against Lowry and there is no way Maurice plays Kadri ahead of Lowry.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
:laugh: You honestly think that Trouba will sign long term for only $500,000 to $1 million more then what he's currently making now. Get real no way Trouba signs that low you're not getting Trouba for any thing less then $7 million per and probably way more then that.
He isn't worth more than that!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Kadri wouldn't be up against Little or Perreault. Perreault is a LW and Kadri isn't a good enough playmaker to play on the second line. So, he'd be up against Lowry and there is no way Maurice plays Kadri ahead of Lowry.
So you don't like Kadri,got it! His numbers are not arguable!

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
16-17: 32g/61pts
17-18: 32g/55pts

He makes 600k+ less than Tom Wilson, who has never had 15g

lol at the barely under market value comment. 9th among C in goals over the past 2 seasons. you think that is barely below market value?

last 2 years:

Kadri: 64g/116pts (4.5 mil)
ROR: 44g/116pts (7.5mil)
Johansen: 29g/115pts (8 mil)

you can see yourself out now

edit: felt like i had to address the trouba wont be going for a rental comment... WHAT? Naz is locked up for 4 more years, at 4.5mil! gotta say this comment was one of the worst ive ever seen on this site...and thats saying a LOT. so much wrong...

Hfboards have been like this since the dawn of time. And Toronto fans, have always been assumed to over rate their players. Ryder + Halak + 2nd is the most notorious reference but Leafs make tons of similar proposals.

Forget about the deal. The comments about Kadri in this thread are so misinformed. Kadri is a borderline #1. Can you win a cup with his as your #1? No chance, but he'll be better than 5-10 teams best Centre.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005

It's HFboards, I have to try and bridge a gap. Top 30 Centre in the NHL is huge.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Troubas career high is 33 points. He is a good D man but he is not Doughty or Karlsson. Lets not get carried away.

Kadri also faces the top competition every game he plays. He goes head to head with the NHL’s best and still scores 30+ goals every year. Also, he is on one of the very best contracts in the league. Toronto can not afford to lose him.
I don't know why we have to keep doing this, but are Karlsson and Doughty really the players we should be comparing Trouba to? The 2 best defensemen in the sport? Guys who are already guaranteed spots in the HOF? Guys whose teams have much less depth on the right and give them way more ice time than Trouba gets behind Byfuglien?

Trouba 21:54 55gp 3g 21a PP 0g 3a
Karlsson 26:44 71gp 9g 62a PP 3g 15a
Doughty 26:50 82gp 10g 50a PP 3g 17a

There's Trouba on pace for 36pts with almost 5 minutes less per game and much less pp time. If we further adjust for time on ice, we get 43pts. Give him some time on the power play while you're at it and that could be damned near 50.

Considering Trouba just played his 4th season, and that he's deployed as a SHUTDOWN DEFENSEMAN with 60% d-zone starts, his offensive numbers are pretty freakin' good.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Hfboards have been like this since the dawn of time. And Toronto fans, have always been assumed to over rate their players. Ryder + Halak + 2nd is the most notorious reference but Leafs make tons of similar proposals.

Forget about the deal. The comments about Kadri in this thread are so misinformed. Kadri is a borderline #1. Can you win a cup with his as your #1? No chance, but he'll be better than 5-10 teams best Centre.

If you had 3 of him and played them as 1, 2 and 3, you'd be pretty good, though.

Reactions: Snowman

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think there is legs to that rumour, but we shall see in time.

I think one of the reasons that Tavares chose Toronto, was because his GF/Fiance had recently graduated from school locally, and was working locally. I don't doubt that the same could be true with Trouba.

That being said, obtaining a Trouba, who was willing to stay in Toronto LT, would be a good franchise move, assuming it was a good hockey trade, for both sides.

I hate trade discussions, because fanbases rarely agree on things. My personal opinion, having watched the Jets some, and looking at the stats... is that if there is anywhere in your lineup that could use improvement, it's the offense from the LHD. You've got Morrisey at 26 points, and Chiarot with 14 points. I think something around Gardiner makes more sense, than Nylander or Kadri personally... as the other talks have been dominated by. Gardiner gets a great deal more flack than he deserves, for pinches that result in the back of the Leafs net...and of course he wasn't good in Game 7 vs. Boston... but he is actually quite good, take a look at the fancy stats..... plus 52 points. When he's pinched, the problem has been that the forwards haven't covered for him, and a number of times the RHD played the shooter, and didn't take away the pass.... So, let's assume that Trouba would go to Toronto.... what would you want @Mortimer Snerd ?

I dismiss the US rumour because there was no source behind it. It was based entirely on someone's speculation. That said, it could turn out to be correct, but so could anything and everything else. Speculation that he prefers certain other locations for genuine reasons, such as GF, family connections is another story. Those locations happen to be in the US but they do not exclude all other possible locations.

I agree that Gardiner gets too much flack and would be happy to get him but not as the main piece in return for Trouba. With Trouba gone our greatest need is RHD. It is also the greatest weakness in our prospect pool. We have some promising LHD prospects.

If we assume that Trouba would consider re-signing in TO we want a top 6 C or a top 4 RHD. We are not interested in Kadri. That leaves possibly Nylander or Liljegren as the starting points.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Boston, Tampa and Florida? St. Louis for sure. A case (not a very strong one) could be made for Winnipeg. Karlsson and Stastny looks decent for VGK and depending on your opinion of Kyle Turris, he could be 4C in Nashville.

Boston NO
Tampa YES
Florida MAYBE
St.Louis? Kadri might be their #1.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Boston NO
Tampa YES
Florida MAYBE
St.Louis? Kadri might be their #1.
Trochek and Barkov. No maybes in Miami. Kadri might be the #1 in St. Louis like my fat ass might compete for figure skating gold in 2022. Just gotta drop 40lbs and find the right tights.
I like him, but nobody but Nazem's dad would take him over Schenn or ROR. Weird you didn't mention Vegas. I take it you agree?

Reactions: Snowman

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Kadri is a solid #2C that scores 30+ goals every year and shuts down the best players in the NHL. In fact Naz would be the #1C on a handful of NHL teams.

No way Toronto is trading him for 24 point D man who is not particularly great defensively. Trouba is also going to bolt to the US after next season anyway. This brings his trade value down. He already has made it very very clear he does not want to play in Canada. He has become the most overrated D man on HF.

Just a little hyperbole in there ....... :ha:

I'm a Leaf fan, this is an extremely disingenuous view of Trouba. If you're going to give him no credit for his upside (which you should, he could be a #1), at least give an honest picture of what he is today. - - His 24 points were in 55 games, 36pt pace, which is not out of line with his career average so he deserves credit for that

it's posts like this that ruin the main boards for the rest of us

^^^ What Randy said. Some routines are getting old.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Trochek and Barkov. No maybes in Miami. Kadri might be the #1 in St. Louis like my fat ass might compete for figure skating gold in 2022. Just gotta drop 40lbs and find the right tights.
I like him, but nobody but Nazem's dad would take him over Schenn or ROR. Weird you didn't mention Vegas. I take it you agree?

Vegas? no. another team kadri might be the #1 on. depending on whether Karlsson was a fluke or not.

Florida? Trochek put up some more assists than kadri in massive minutes . that's a definite maybe.

St.louis? nah.

2yrs:

Kadri: 162gms, ES 14:31 (A qoc), 1.96p60, 1.51p160, 51.2cf% (+0.5), 50.9xgf% (-0.3) / PP 2:08, 6.33p60, 5.28p160 / PK 0:01
Schenn: 161gms, ES 15:02 (B+ qoc), 1.76p60, 1.25p160, 51.1cf% (-0.4), 51.3xgf% (+1.1) / PP 3:28, 4.73p60, 3.52p160 / PK 0:17
O'Reilly: 153gms, ES 15:56 (A- qoc), 1.33p60, 0.98p160, 49.6cf% (+3.6), 49.0xgf% (+3.9) / PP 3:16, 5.71p60, 4.46p160 / PK 1:55
Karlsson: 163gms, ES 13:07 (B qoc), 2.08p60, 1.51p160, 51.7cf% (+0.5), 51.7xgf% (+1.6) / PP 1:19, 4.86p60, 3.43p160 / PK 1:38
Stastny: 148gms, ES 14:47 (A- qoc), 1.90p60, 1.39p160, 53.1cf% (+2.4), 51.9xgf% (+0.9) / PP 2:37, 3.44p60, 2.97p160 / PK 1:16
Trocheck: 164gms, ES 16:08 (A- qoc), 1.63p60, 1.11p160, 51.3cf% (+2.2), 49.1xgf% (+1.1) / PP 3:06 / PK 1:52

Kadri plays the toughest minutes, and none of the others has much of a possession advantage over him despite that. Karlsson is the only one that compares to his productivity.

yeah, I have no issue thinking that kadri might play ahead of any of these guys on the same team.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't know why we have to keep doing this, but are Karlsson and Doughty really the players we should be comparing Trouba to? The 2 best defensemen in the sport? Guys who are already guaranteed spots in the HOF? Guys whose teams have much less depth on the right and give them way more ice time than Trouba gets behind Byfuglien?

Trouba 21:54 55gp 3g 21a PP 0g 3a
Karlsson 26:44 71gp 9g 62a PP 3g 15a
Doughty 26:50 82gp 10g 50a PP 3g 17a

There's Trouba on pace for 36pts with almost 5 minutes less per game and much less pp time. If we further adjust for time on ice, we get 43pts. Give him some time on the power play while you're at it and that could be damned near 50.

Considering Trouba just played his 4th season, and that he's deployed as a SHUTDOWN DEFENSEMAN with 60% d-zone starts, his offensive numbers are pretty freakin' good.
5v5 his zone starts are pretty even:
48.5% offensive
51.5% defensive

Difference is less than 20 faceoffs.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
5v5 his zone starts are pretty even:
48.5% offensive
51.5% defensive

Difference is less than 20 faceoffs.
Why in heck would the Leafs trade their best defensively minded, physically hardest to play against, and only matchup center anyway? Certainly not for Trouba. Now if Big Buff was the guy coming back:)

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Why in heck would the Leafs trade their best defensively minded, physically hardest to play against, and only matchup center anyway? Certainly not for Trouba. Now if Big Buff was the guy coming back:)
You’d trade Kadri for 33 year old Byfuglien, but not 24 year old Trouba? I don’t understand your logic at all. I’m not going to build up Kadri like he’s a top of line center just like I won’t build Trouba up to be anything more than your average #2 when he’s healthy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You’d trade Kadri for 33 year old Byfuglien, but not 24 year old Trouba? I don’t understand your logic at all. I’m not going to build up Kadri like he’s a top of line center just like I won’t build Trouba up to be anything more than your average #2 when he’s healthy.
I think the Leafs are one Big Buff away from being serious Cup contenders. If it’s only for even a couple seasons, getting Big Buff would be a great move. Trouba doesn’t nearly effect the game like Buff. No way do I move Kadri for Trouba. Kadri effects the game more than Trouba does.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think the Leafs are one Big Buff away from being serious Cup contenders. If it’s only for even a couple seasons, getting Big Buff would be a great move. Trouba doesn’t nearly effect the game like Buff. No way do I move Kadri for Trouba. Kadri effects the game more than Trouba does.
Very short term thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad