GDT: A Song of Snow and Fire: Avalanche (7-3-2) @ Flames (7-5-1). 7PM MT, Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau has been tried a handful of times at RW when that was a huge hole for us. Never seemed to work out. I wouldn’t touch the forward lines to be honest we’re one of the highest scoring teams in the league right now even though our power play has been iffy

Who were his linemates when he was tried on RW?

The team is scoring but they still lack depth. And a lot of the team's ES goals have come as a result of line juggling - like last night.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Who were his linemates when he was tried on RW?

The team is scoring but they still lack depth. And a lot of the team's ES goals have come as a result of line juggling - like last night.

The only time I can think of where Gaudreau played RW for us was some of the early stints of Ferland on that line under Hartley, as Ferland wasn't comfortable breaking out the puck on his off-wing due to a lack of experience. That was the year Ferland was snakebitten to hell.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
That was an amazing game.

The comeback started with a bad call but at the same time if you're the Avs you got spotted 3 goals (the 3rd was bad defense the rest were goaltending) and tried to sit on a lead while generating nothing. Still unfortunate that they were on the wrong side of a really bad call.

Despite the win Mike Smith still nearly threw away a game that we were dominating, I'd have to think Rittich starts next game.

Also we need a little more secondary scoring because we cant count on the entire top line + Gio and Tkachuk to go over a point a game this season. I think Bennett, Neal and Czarnik have been good. I don't like Hathaway and I think we should send Dube down we don't want to turn him into a 4th liner and Mangiapane is dominating the AHL for the second straight year.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
That was an amazing game.

The comeback started with a bad call but at the same time if you're the Avs you got spotted 3 goals (the 3rd was bad defense the rest were goaltending) and tried to sit on a lead while generating nothing. Still unfortunate that they were on the wrong side of a really bad call.
This is the thing that bothers me most about the comments from other sides on this board (not that I should care, but here we are). Somehow the Flames are the "luckiest POS's" to ever lace them up because of that call on Cole, but the f***ing Avalanche had a three goal lead. Maybe if your team wasn't playing like a bunch of braindead idiots in the last period they wouldn't have collapsed to a "clearly inferior" Flames squad. Have some f***ing accountability for your team if you're going to go to bat for them.

Anyways, I love Sam Bennett and I love our top line and I love Giordano. Like whadda guys yknow.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is the thing that bothers me most about the comments from other sides on this board (not that I should care, but here we are). Somehow the Flames are the "luckiest POS's" to ever lace them up because of that call on Cole, but the ****ing Avalanche had a three goal lead. Maybe if your team wasn't playing like a bunch of braindead idiots in the last period they wouldn't have collapsed to a "clearly inferior" Flames squad. Have some ****ing accountability for your team if you're going to go to bat for them.
Honestly, who cares what main board posters say about our team? Most Avs fans know they were fortunate to be ahead in the first place and pissed it all away as a result of their incompetence, not the refs

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly, who cares what main board posters say about our team? Most Avs fans know they were fortunate to be ahead in the first place and pissed it all away as a result of their incompetence, not the refs

Really tough on Avs fans.
You got a bad call :thumbd:

Oh, also every shot you took on net was going in because our goalie was horrible.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I know. Just had to vent it out lol.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Pretty awesome that I got home just in time for the 3rd period. wow, I haven't seen a 3rd period comeback like that since the hartley era. Really wish I would have seen Sam lose his mind on Cole, man I love that guy when he sticks up for his teammates.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Pretty awesome that I got home just in time for the 3rd period. wow, I haven't seen a 3rd period comeback like that since the hartley era. Really wish I would have seen Sam lose his mind on Cole, man I love that guy when he sticks up for his teammates.

I know there's a lot of "comeback kids" or "cardiac kids" type references.

These teams are nothing alike. Flames dominate from start to finish, they outshoot, outchance and outmatch most teams; those Hartley teams rope-a-doped teams into scoring off rushes and stretch passes after being hemmed in their own zone for the entire night.

Essentially, if Calgary got league average goaltending, that would have been a 6-2 affair.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I know there's a lot of "comeback kids" or "cardiac kids" type references.

These teams are nothing alike. Flames dominate from start to finish, they outshoot, outchance and outmatch most teams; those Hartley teams rope-a-doped teams into scoring off rushes and stretch passes after being hemmed in their own zone for the entire night.

Essentially, if Calgary got league average goaltending, that would have been a 6-2 affair.

I'm truly excited, this is the best version of the flames I have seen since...I'm not even sure, can't remember the last time I was this excited for the flames.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That also puts Gaudreau on his off side, which I think will make him a much bigger shooting threat and allow him to set up more plays on his forehand when he pulls up at the blue line or cuts across the middle
Definitely agree with this. It's why I'm so confused why Gaudreau is still being deployed on the left wing on the PP. On the right, he can square up to other players while the puck's on his forehand without the danger of being dispossessed, and the predictable button hook he makes on zone entries is gone too.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'm truly excited, this is the best version of the flames I have seen since...I'm not even sure, can't remember the last time I was this excited for the flames.

Like I said that third period was the most amazing and dominating period I have seen a Flames team play since the mid 90's and after I said taunted and crapped on everyone for their defeatist attitudes it was great to see the boys turn it around and make my words come to life. It was even better better then. I honestly believe this team has more talent than anybody in the NHL throughout the line-up and last night the boys spanked the Avs.

PeriodTOICFCACF%FFFAFF%SFSASF%SCFSCASCF%HDCFHDCAHDCF%GFGAGF%
Flames1
Final
18:00
12:49
15:18
46:07
76.47%
57.14%
58.62%
64.84%
75.86%
50%
59.26%
63.16%
76.47%
43.75%
52.63%
57.69%
61.54%
58.82%
70.59%
63.83%
62.5%
80%
66.67%
70.37%
-
25%
100%
62.5%
Avalanche1
Final
18:00
12:49
15:18
46:07
23.53%
42.86%
41.38%
35.16%
24.14%
50%
40.74%
36.84%
23.53%
56.25%
47.37%
42.31%
38.46%
41.18%
29.41%
36.17%
37.5%
20%
33.33%
29.63%
-
75%
0%
37.5%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Look at the High-Danger Chances for and Against and it shows how the team dominated the Avs.

More than that Rantanen, Landeskog, and MacKinnon had sub 30 CORSI evenings at even strength. That is the best line in hockey atm. Incredible night for the Flames.

I hope this helps Smith right the ship. It was the first time I saw him smile like that this season. Bennett's fight might have bonded the guys even more because after that it was a team effort determined to break down Varlamov in the third period. Everybody did what was needed with every shift to turn this puppy around.

Reactions: Cyrano

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Mike Smith was attrocious again.

I think Mike Smith is playing through a injury(he maybe fighting through a lower body or back injury, he looks slow and awkward. And this has been a case since last season after his injury.)

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I'd buy the Smith hiding an injury theory. I noticed rewatching the highlights that he wasn't getting very strong butterfly pushes across the net, if he even tried. Some of the goals it looked like he wasn't even trying to get across and square.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
NHL Hockey Standings

We are the highest scoring team in the NHL right now... while giving up the fourth most goals. Smith REALLY needs to get it together, because we aren't sustaining this.

That's insane. It feels like we're middle of the pack at best. But then you see that teams like Toronto has like 9 goals in their last 5 and maybe it is true.

Color me shocked 2x.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
After being at the game, I couldn't wait to get home an rewatch it on GameCentre (wasn't blacked out last night) and while I was up till 4AM watching it again, man was I ever still so hyped after that comeback.

What an exciting team

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You know, judging by the third angle on this clip, maybe it was a charge after all.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
This is the thing that bothers me most about the comments from other sides on this board (not that I should care, but here we are). Somehow the Flames are the "luckiest POS's" to ever lace them up because of that call on Cole, but the ****ing Avalanche had a three goal lead. Maybe if your team wasn't playing like a bunch of braindead idiots in the last period they wouldn't have collapsed to a "clearly inferior" Flames squad. Have some ****ing accountability for your team if you're going to go to bat for them.

Anyways, I love Sam Bennett and I love our top line and I love Giordano. Like whadda guys yknow.

Really tough on Avs fans.
You got a bad call :thumbd:

Oh, also every shot you took on net was going in because our goalie was horrible.

Going to address this just once. First the penalty was a textbook call of charging. Had Cole not travelled 35 ft , accelerated and hit Jankowski from the blind side the call likely would not have been made. Hits to mete out the maximum amount of punishment & damage are no longer acceptable to the NHL. Deal with it that is the game today. In light of all the concussion data that is out there I do not know how people can justify hits where the players are hit in vulnerable situations.

If you think the game was better without Deadmarsh, Lindros x 2, Allison, Saavard, Lafontaine, and Pronger you are greatly mistaken. The NHL made a huge mistake when it kept allowing players like Stevens to levy debilitating hits night in night out. At least the brawlers chose to fight. Many of the players listed were hit in vulnerable situations that they could do little about. The keep your head up line was a way to blame the victims rather than for the league and players to be held account for their actions.

The hockey today is way more exciting and entertaining and the NHL is better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad