OT: A piece I wrote regarding the Arizona Coyotes

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Hey guys, I decided to write a little piece after reading about the news about the purchase of the Coyotes by Barroway. I did it more or less out of boredom (unemployed recent grad) so I wanted to share it first with you guys to see what you think.

I have no formal experience writing and I am probably leaving out a lot of sides to the Arizona Coyotes drama over the years, but I wanted to write something so someone like myself, who hasn't followed the Coyotes news attentively, could read and have a grasp on why the franchise simply hasn't moved yet.

Here ya go, thanks in advance for reading, all criticism welcomed :)

http://damrichard.wordpress.com/2014/10/05/coyote-fever/

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Uggh, the painful part of NHL hockey, the Phoenix debacle. It would be interesting to see a chronological timeline of every time there was a story in the paper of the team having owners lined up. I think you did a good job considering you have no formal writing experience. One spelling error I noticed was "Hedge" fund, you have it as "Hudge".

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Uggh, the painful part of NHL hockey, the Phoenix debacle. It would be interesting to see a chronological timeline of every time there was a story in the paper of the team having owners lined up. I think you did a good job considering you have no formal writing experience. One spelling error I noticed was "Hedge" fund, you have it as "Hudge".

Haha, thanks man, it means a lot. I agree, there has just been so much bad news since it moved to Glendale...

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well done brother, I really enjoyed reading the article and I believe it was put together extremely well. Well written and interesting topic, you did a great job.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks for taking the time to read it man, I appreciate it. I appreciate the feedback as well, makes me want to write more :D

You should for sure. I actually have been thinking about starting a blog of sorts myself. I have a really interesting idea, but I'm not going to share it until I contact the Flames.

You're very knowledgable about hockey, I'd encourage you to continue.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
You should for sure. I actually have been thinking about starting a blog of sorts myself. I have a really interesting idea, but I'm not going to share it until I contact the Flames.

You're very knowledgable about hockey, I'd encourage you to continue.

I'd love to read something of yours in the future :)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm probably the guy you'd want to hear feedback on the most since I live down here; this article is very well written.

Barroway buying the team is a bittersweet feeling. I don't know if he can turn this team around or if he is planning to relocate of some sort. The problem with Arizona is the other top 3 sports are always before the NHL. The Cardinals, the Suns and the D-Backs will always come before the Coyotes. You only see a sell out crowd when the Coyotes make the playoffs.

To make this team work, the attendance definitely needs to be better. One thing they need to do is relocate the stadium back downtown, perhaps sharing the stadium with the Suns. Their stadium in Glendale right now is literally right next to the Cardinals arena, and that's why I think the owners back then thought would make a ton of money. Well, it doesn't. I don't think very many people know about the Coyotes, and if they do, it's people on the eastern side of Phoenix, people living in Gilbert, Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale, the list goes on. Putting the city downtown would make a lot lore sense and definitely cancel out the seasonal attendance problem.

The Coyotes lastly need to advertise a lot better and a lot more. Now, of course I know about them and attend games for the love of hockey, but not all Arizonans are like me or Canadian vacationers. If it takes free tickets for people to come, then do it, because the tickets are already cheap enough. You could probably make your money back from the free ticket with parking and food from the concessions.

Anyway, there's my rant at 4am in California. Couldn't sleep, but meh. I liked your article, you should definitely write more hockey related articles.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I'm probably the guy you'd want to hear feedback on the most since I live down here; this article is very well written.

Barroway buying the team is a bittersweet feeling. I don't know if he can turn this team around or if he is planning to relocate of some sort. The problem with Arizona is the other top 3 sports are always before the NHL. The Cardinals, the Suns and the D-Backs will always come before the Coyotes. You only see a sell out crowd when the Coyotes make the playoffs.

To make this team work, the attendance definitely needs to be better. One thing they need to do is relocate the stadium back downtown, perhaps sharing the stadium with the Suns. Their stadium in Glendale right now is literally right next to the Cardinals arena, and that's why I think the owners back then thought would make a ton of money. Well, it doesn't. I don't think very many people know about the Coyotes, and if they do, it's people on the eastern side of Phoenix, people living in Gilbert, Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale, the list goes on. Putting the city downtown would make a lot lore sense and definitely cancel out the seasonal attendance problem.

The Coyotes lastly need to advertise a lot better and a lot more. Now, of course I know about them and attend games for the love of hockey, but not all Arizonans are like me or Canadian vacationers. If it takes free tickets for people to come, then do it, because the tickets are already cheap enough. You could probably make your money back from the free ticket with parking and food from the concessions.

Anyway, there's my rant at 4am in California. Couldn't sleep, but meh. I liked your article, you should definitely write more hockey related articles.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I really appreciate it! And great to hear some insight from a local who certainly understands the situation as well as anyone else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad