Post-Game Talk: A new way to lose, Jets lose in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Apologize to any relatives that may read this, but Adam Brooks is not an NHL player.
I don't think we can say that with confidence yet at all. He's shown nice little flashes of some good things but overall has been bad, but we have to remember these are the first 2 games he's played in 2022, on a new team with new systems. He hasn't looked worse in those two games than Poganski has in his 14.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree -
That is why in some cases, we just call it out without the excuses.
The excuses (reasons) only seem to come into play when we want to support the player rather than simply calling out the issues.
It might be tedious to debate but it makes it very clear on whether a fan is in support of a player (regardless of the issues) or not.

But reasons are not the same as excuses. Everything bad has a reason. Not everything bad is excusable.
Example: Russia has invaded Ukraine because Putin is a megalomaniac dictator. Russia invading Ukraine is not excused.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes I know it is not a super important stat. It has some merit though.

That's debatable. There are so many flaws that it is almost a random number. If it SEEMS to fit your eye test of a player, it is purely accidental. Your opinion of the player can stand or fall on its own merits. +/- should not influence that in any way.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not sure about Finland. Wasn't the professor assumed to be a Finn? :laugh:
I'm pretty certain that "the professor" was just someone (likely a North American) parodying Finnish posters/fans of Laine on HF.

Everything from his comically over-the-top posts to pretentiously signing his posts with "Avgard hockey professor" leads me to believe it was just one big joke.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't think we can say that with confidence yet at all. He's shown nice little flashes of some good things but overall has been bad, but we have to remember these are the first 2 games he's played in 2022, on a new team with new systems. He hasn't looked worse in those two games than Poganski has in his 14.
But Brooks was put on waivers by another team so obviously they didn't think he was very good. I have more a problem with Brooks usage than the player. That he was immediately put on our second unit powerplay and that he was put on the 2nd line over Harkins.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
But reasons are not the same as excuses. Everything bad has a reason. Not everything bad is excusable.
Example: Russia has invaded Ukraine because Putin is a megalomaniac dictator. Russia invading Ukraine is not excused.
Actually that's a bad example.
You have to know the TRUE facts first.
Last year's PLD is not the same PLD this year ... what changed?

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
But Brooks was put on waivers by another team so obviously they didn't think he was very good. I have more a problem with Brooks usage than the player. That he was immediately put on our second unit powerplay and that he was put on the 2nd line over Harkins.

It's not always a matter of a player being placed on waivers not being "very good". Often times serviceable players are placed on waivers out of necessity when another player returns from IR and said player needs to go on waivers to return to the minors.

Brooks hasn't shown much so far but he's better than Poganski and over the course of the season has likely shown more than a couple of our other forwards.

Reactions: Pandemonia

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I didn’t say he should be struggling based on expectations. Less effort on playing defense is perception to me, I don’t think effort is an issue with Pionk. He’s tasked to be an offensive provider, obvious not at the expense of defense but he and Dillon just haven’t meshed very well together imo. Dillon has been a let down to me for the most part, I thought he’d bring more snarl to the backend and create some more space.
I don’t think it’s a matter of hope with Pionk, it’s a matter of when. He’s a good player and could probably benefit from a new coach defining his role a bit better. He looks to me like he’s struggling with that to a degree. The team offense vs defense really isn’t a thing to me.

Maybe effort is the wrong term -
Maybe less focus on defense is what I am seeing -
Team offense vs defense is not how I would phrase it - it's more about offense and defense because both are required.

If you are tasked with being an offensive provider but not at the expense of defense, you are being tasked with both - and I assume offense is not a priority over defense when you are a defenseman.
At least I hope it isn't. In today's NHL, there are a ton of Dmen that can add offense - nothing wrong with that as long as they understand they are defensemen.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes I know it is not a super important stat. It has some merit though.

It does have some relationship to actual events, but it is so bad that it really has no merit at all. In some % of the time, it may actually reflect a player's performance. But that % is relatively small and there is no way to separate the meaningful ones from the meaningless ones, so no it does not have some merit. It has none, IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm pretty certain that "the professor" was just someone (likely a North American) parodying Finnish posters/fans of Laine on HF.

Everything from his comically over-the-top posts to pretentiously signing his posts with "Avgard hockey professor" leads me to believe it was just one big joke.

Oh I agree, it was all a joke. But I'm not sure the professor was not Finnish.
But now that I think of it, more likely a Swede. There seems to a little animosity between Swedes and Finns. :laugh:

But I have a vague memory of one of our Finnish fans posting that English is not as common nor as fluent among Finns as it is among many other Europeans. I believe it is taught to a high level in Swedish schools. I have known a few Finns Swedes and they speak very good English, though with a bit of an odd accent. They are taught Oxford pronunciation. That, combined with a Swedish accent is ...... different. :laugh:

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually that's a bad example.
You have to know the TRUE facts first.
Last year's PLD is not the same PLD this year ... what changed?

Whatever the answer, it will be a reason, an explanation, but not necessarily an excuse. Though it might be an excuse, like the quarantine, for example.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Team offense vs defense is not how I would phrase it - it's more about offense and defense because both are required.

If you are tasked with being an offensive provider but not at the expense of defense, you are being tasked with both - and I assume offense is not a priority over defense when you are a defenseman.
At least I hope it isn't. In today's NHL, there are a ton of Dmen that can add offense - nothing wrong with that as long as they understand they are defensemen.

Dillion has the worst defensive metrics on the team. For a so called defensive dmen he has stunk this year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Very true - but they are not always used by the rules

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They are all struggling to an extent back there (JoMo probably less so)

Morrissey's defensive metrics are good and DeMelo's are very good. It's Schmidt, Pionk, Beau, and Dillion that are posting very poor metrics. Stanley has ok metrics. The other kids haven't played enough games to fairly analyze.

Reactions: kellhunter

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Morrissey's defensive metrics are good and DeMelo's are very good. It's Schmidt, Pionk, Beau, and Dillion that are posting very poor metrics. Stanley has ok metrics. The other kids haven't played enough games to fairly analyze.

Right - I forgot Demelo - steady as a rock

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
And with guys like Dillon that’s a real problem because if he’s not providing that, what does he do? I love Demelo and at least he excels at one part of the game, because if he didn’t he’d be pretty useless to most teams. There are values placed on certain skills in hockey, they aren’t equal.

Reactions: surixon

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I think Pionk just needs to manage his game better and so do many players around him. I don’t think it’s a matter of focusing more on defense, especially in the NHL, that’s an oversimplification. I don’t view the improvement in Morrissey’s game as a byproduct of focusing more or less on either side of the puck. It’s more about him finding the balance in his game, which isn’t always the same game to game. Morrissey has been far better this year at simply dictating play to teams, as opposed to reacting.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I think we've looked disjointed in so many games this year. I think it's hard to even evaluate individuals when no one seems to really be on the same page so often.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018

And an amusing one at that! Who can forget Laine “putting a fart at Maurice backstage” for example?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think Pionk just needs to manage his game better and so do many players around him. I don’t think it’s a matter of focusing more on defense, especially in the NHL, that’s an oversimplification. I don’t view the improvement in Morrissey’s game as a byproduct of focusing more or less on either side of the puck. It’s more about him finding the balance in his game, which isn’t always the same game to game. Morrissey has been far better this year at simply dictating play to teams, as opposed to reacting.
I thought Pionk was playing good until the knee to the head from Spezza , hopefully he's starting to get back to last year's Pionk slowly.

Reactions: Ducky10

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Dillion has the worst defensive metrics on the team. For a so called defensive dmen he has stunk this year.

True. But keep in mind that Dillon has for the most part played on teams with strong defensive zone systems, and has primarily been stationed right beside the net where his responsibilities are well defined. He certainly would do far less reading/reacting/chasing than seems expected of him by Huddy's systems. It wouldn't surprise me to see Dillon play much better on another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad