Post-Game Talk: A new way to lose, Jets lose in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
True. But keep in mind that Dillon has for the most part played on teams with strong defensive zone systems, and has primarily been stationed right beside the net where his responsibilities are well defined. He certainly would do far less reading/reacting/chasing than seems expected of him by Huddy's systems. It wouldn't surprise me to see Dillon play much better on another team.

No doubt our terrible systems play a role in this as well.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think Pionk just needs to manage his game better and so do many players around him. I don’t think it’s a matter of focusing more on defense, especially in the NHL, that’s an oversimplification. I don’t view the improvement in Morrissey’s game as a byproduct of focusing more or less on either side of the puck. It’s more about him finding the balance in his game, which isn’t always the same game to game. Morrissey has been far better this year at simply dictating play to teams, as opposed to reacting.

Sounds like we are not that far from saying the same thing -
Better game management and more balance over all -
I'm not asking him to give up offense - but I am asking him to pay more attention to the D side of his game
I don't think that is over simplifying - I'd just don't believe it is that complicated.

The nuances of the game will always impact how a players plays and how they address or adjust under differing circumstances.
I get that - but from 10,000 feet, I'd simply like to see him improve on his game in the D zone.
He's fully capable of doing so - he's shown us that in the past.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Maybe he could start by keeping the puck on his stick more often.

The number of times I've seen him give away the puck just this month is well into the double digits.
Agreed, he’s been poor in that regard.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Regarding Pionk
I echo a lot of sentiments. He's not been good this year, and I thought last season he had the best individual Jets defenseman season since 18-19. I wasn't a big fan of his play in 19-20, I think his PP production overshadowed his shortcomings to some. But he's closer to that version than the Canadian Division version of his play.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Yep, the only reason he didn't get "credit" for the OT goal is he sensed what might happen and managed to amble his way off the ice before the red light came on. I'm sure the cognoscenti snicker and smirk over their macchiatos every time +/- is mentioned but when one player is so much worse than everyone else on the team, it has to be reflective of his play. ScheifMe's theme song should be "I'm minus sixteen going on seventeen".

Get rid of this guy stat, and I might turn off the tank engine and wish better luck for those who remain. But I've reached the point where I can't cheer for a team that 55 is part of. There are others that have that effect, but not anywhere to the same extent.
Bingo. 55 is a selfish player who has a low hockey IQ.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm pretty certain that "the professor" was just someone (likely a North American) parodying Finnish posters/fans of Laine on HF.

Everything from his comically over-the-top posts to pretentiously signing his posts with "Avgard hockey professor" leads me to believe it was just one big joke.
upload_2022-2-24_21-50-57.gif

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Bingo. 55 is a selfish player who has a low hockey IQ.

I honestly think he either wants out, or just really doesn't care about anything besides personal stats. Nothing else makes sense how someone can be so lazy. Hes skilled, but you are going nowhere with that as your 1C playing 20 plus a game taking long shifts, coasting off the ice, not back checking or picking up guys. I hate saying it with how awful our forward depth is and C depth for that matter, but we really need to consider shopping 55 this summer if the package is right (wont happen under current GM/ Chipman)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Morrissey's defensive metrics are good and DeMelo's are very good. It's Schmidt, Pionk, Beau, and Dillion that are posting very poor metrics. Stanley has ok metrics. The other kids haven't played enough games to fairly analyze.

Agreed that Dillon has been a disappointment. While I like the physicality it still doesn't make up for the overall meh. I have liked Schmidt though... never expected him to be a defensive stalwart and he makes those mistakes but atleast he provides good value in transition and is slick offensively.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed that Dillon has been a disappointment. While I like the physicality it still doesn't make up for the overall meh. I have liked Schmidt though... never expected him to be a defensive stalwart and he makes those mistakes but atleast he provides good value in transition and is slick offensively.

Yeah Schmidt I was expecting to be pretty high event. Generates a lot but also gives up a lot. He's been solid for us imo and brought what we thought he would.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If the Jets were a win away from making the playoffs leading by 3 goals going into the 3rd period against the worst team in the league ... they would some how find a way too lose. It's just one of those years where nothing goes right for them.
How weird is this ... the last 7 Jets losses the teams that beat them Jets ALL lost their next game. Remember early in the season when the Islanders shutout the Jets ... the Isles lost 13 straight games after that. I guess they get the lucky bounces against the Jets and their luck runs out the next game.:D

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
If the Jets were a win away from making the playoffs leading by 3 goals going into the 3rd period against the worst team in the league ... they would some how find a way too lose. It's just one of those years where nothing goes right for them.
How weird is this ... the last 7 Jets losses the teams that beat them Jets ALL lost their next game. Remember early in the season when the Islanders shutout the Jets ... the Isles lost 13 straight games after that. I guess they get the lucky bounces against the Jets and their luck runs out the next game.:D

Yep. The Jets escaping their mushy middle to finally lead the league in an oft-ignored statistical category: "Helping tip winning teams off the ledge towards a rare losing streak." Or WtL/82 -- WinToLose per 82."

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I'm pretty certain that "the professor" was just someone (likely a North American) parodying Finnish posters/fans of Laine on HF.

Everything from his comically over-the-top posts to pretentiously signing his posts with "Avgard hockey professor" leads me to believe it was just one big joke.

I think it was actually "Sir Avgard, hockey professor". But I suspect he was a sir in name only and not really knighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad