News Article: A New Madison Square Garden?

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Ridiculous plan. The construction time alone would kill retail in that area which is already suffering. They would have to move Target and a whole bunch of other sites. Stout, everything. Macy's wouldnt allow it. It will never happen. If anything they will move MSG farther into the west side.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Ridiculous plan. The construction time alone would kill retail in that area which is already suffering. They would have to move Target and a whole bunch of other sites. Stout, everything. Macy's wouldnt allow it. It will never happen. If anything they will move MSG farther into the west side.

Why would Macy's not allow it? They are on the north side of 34th Street not where the construction would take place. And anyway, they are holding on by a thread.

The Dolans should have taken the spot behind the post office (now Moynihan station), Penn Station needs the space desperately.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Looking at retail today Macy’s may love to get paid to close that store too

Reactions: romba

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I mean do people really want to demolish such an iconic arena? Makes no sense. So much history in this place. I would hate for MSG to move just like I hated seeing Shea demolished even though I love Citi Field.

Reactions: Zivkovic

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
A mod should reply “‘no,” lock the thread, and sticky it to the top forever.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
A plan like this is probably (a minimum) 8-10 years in the making. It took 8 years for the current building to be conceived and built in a simpler time.

For starters, office demand in the City has to rebound. Then a developer has to build. By the time a plan like worked its way through the proper channels, survived the courts and was tenanted, The Garden would be negotiating for a tax break extension and it would be nearing the time for another renovation. If you lengthen your time horizon, it starts to make more sense.

Unfortunately I probably won’t be around to see it happen.

Reactions: Leetch3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad