Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Joe Pavelski, San Jose's 7th round pick in 2003

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=282983

As of today, his AHL numbers: 13 GP 6 goals 15 assists 21 points +11

I wouldn't get terribly excited by Pavelski's start. He has some talent, but no one saw this coming, including Pavelski. It was actually quite a surprise that he signed with the Sharks so this is even more of a surprise. I think he's one of those guys that has caught people by surprise but I don't expect it to continue. I saw him with Wisconsin and he was good, but nothing great. I see another Mike Iggulden type here. Able to produce some solid numbers but likely isn't destined to be much more than a 3rd/4th liner.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I wouldn't get terribly excited by Pavelski's start. He has some talent, but no one saw this coming, including Pavelski. It was actually quite a surprise that he signed with the Sharks so this is even more of a surprise. I think he's one of those guys that has caught people by surprise but I don't expect it to continue. I saw him with Wisconsin and he was good, but nothing great. I see another Mike Iggulden type here. Able to produce some solid numbers but likely isn't destined to be much more than a 3rd/4th liner.

The only surprise about Pavelski signing a contract with the Sharks is the amount they gave him. He sure seemed to impress them enough to sign him to a 3 year, $2.55 million dollar contract as a kid two years into college (kinda weird for a seventh round pick, no?). Might had something to do with leading his team in scoring as a freshman and sophomore while winning a national championship in the latter. He turned heads at Sharks camp and is continuing to do it in Worcester.

I think Pavelski is showing there is more to his game than I given him credit for in the past (because of average size and skating). I'm not asking you to see him as a superstar, just to remember the name so you don't end up asking yourself, "Who is this guy?"

X-SHARKIE

Iggulden is a big, honest two way player with a good physical game and a finishing touch... but he comes no where near to Pavelski in terms of hockey sense, hand skill, and vision, as Pavelski sees the ice exceptionally well and is a crafty player through and through. He has soft hands, a lazer shot, and is a creative play maker to boot..all that is missing is explosiveness and size. Secon line, more likely third line center type... he leads his team in scoring where ever he plays, has a captains character and wins where ever he goes (Wis hs state, Clarkson cup USHL, and NCAA CHamp)

Last edited:

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Nothing personal, but I seriously doubt you've seen him enough to make that comparison.

Iggulden is a big, honest two way player with a good physical game and a finishing touch... but he comes no where near to Pavelski in terms of hockey sense, hand skill, and vision, as Pavelski sees the ice exceptionally well and is a crafty player through and through. He has soft hands, a lazer shot, and is a creative play maker to boot..all that is missing is explosiveness and size. Second line center type... he leads his team in scoring where ever he plays, has a captains character and wins where ever he goes (Wis hs state, Clarkson cup USHL, and NCAA CHamp)

He compares in no way shape and form to Iggulden IMO... more of a Brad Boyes type of player..not saying he'll be that good..but I think he'll come close.

I grew up not far from where X-Sharkie lives, and I've been following the Badgers since Chelios was in college there. Heck, from the looks of things, many of the posters on here weren't even born then. :)

Pavelski is the real deal. Mike Eaves said he didn't think Pavelski was ready for the pros, but that just caused Pavelski to work out even harder this summer and he came to camp in incredible shape. He's a hard-working kid who doesn't like to be told that he can't do something. The only real thing working against him is his age -- like so many USHL guys, he entered college late (he was a 20-year-old freshman in 2004-05) and he's nearly a year older than fellow 2003 draftees like Nathan Horton, Dion Phaneuf, Steve Bernier and Ryan Getzlaf. I'm not saying that tearing up the AHL at 22 isn't impressive, but lots of guys from his draft year have well in excess of 100 NHL games under their belt at this point.

Pavelski has been a star at every level he's played at, but I don't expect his game to translate into star status at the next level. I think he'll either be a very good third-line center who can chip in with some scoring and great backchecking (think Mike Ricci in his prime) or be a modest-scoring second-line center.

Regardless, he could have a 10-year NHL career just on his faceoff ability even if he couldn't score or skate a lick.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

your thoughts now, Kritty?

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia
This is from his profile on the hockeysfuture website:
"Pavelski will enter the University of Wisconsin for the 2004-05 season, where he will have to battle hard to become a regular in the line-up due to skating concerns. However, Pavelski has four years of college hockey until the Sharks have to make a decision on whether to sign the Wisconsin native, by which time Pavelski's skating concerns may be a thing of the past.
Currently, Pavelski appears to be an extreme longshot to make the NHL, but with improvement could become a solid third or second line center in the AHL."
:sarcasm:

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
This is from his profile on the hockeysfuture website:
"Pavelski will enter the University of Wisconsin for the 2004-05 season, where he will have to battle hard to become a regular in the line-up due to skating concerns. However, Pavelski has four years of college hockey until the Sharks have to make a decision on whether to sign the Wisconsin native, by which time Pavelski's skating concerns may be a thing of the past.
Currently, Pavelski appears to be an extreme longshot to make the NHL, but with improvement could become a solid third or second line center in the AHL."
:sarcasm:

That is just a lack of update which the Sharks page, among others, is guilty of. I believe Kevin wrote that bio a few months after Pavelski being drafted and with good reason. He was an average skater and little by NHL standards. It took his two years at Wisconsin before I started warming up to him...he has such great vision and hands that you had to think he could one day play in the bigs but I wasn't expecting much from him. This past year, however, he has taken his game up another notch and it is definitely benefiting the Sharks right now.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Max and I are the only guys who have been pimping Pavelski on the Sharks board before this season. That said, the speed of his development is a surprise even to me, and I am one of Joe's biggest fans. Some guys just suddenly take their game to another level, without any rhyme or reason to it. I expected Joe to be a good scoringline player in the NHL, just not this soon. That being said, however, I do not think Pavelski's current level of play is in any way a fluke. Kid's got mad game, yo.

The funny thing is, Pavelski doesn't have an assist yet, and he is actually more of a setup man than a goal-scorer. Having watched the games, though, I can say with certainty that the assists will come. He's set up his wingers for a number of good chances; they just haven't put anything in yet.

It's about time the Sharks have a forward taken in the late rounds develop into something. Unless you count Korolyuk (I don't), the Sharks have never drafted a scoringline forward outside of the first round.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Try again......I was.

And, I was the only one who thought he would make an impact this year.

I vouch for that. I remember you said something along the lines of he was better on faceoffs than anyone on the roster and that got my Goc-cheerleading blood boiling :D

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Sorry, Wild GM - forgot about you. There weren't many of us, that's for sure. When that Sharks prospect list came out with Pavelski rated 12th behind the likes of Torrey Mitchell, Josh Gorges, Lukas Kaspar and Dimitri Patzold (eh?!) I wanted to send Kevin hate mail. Lol.

I did predict Joe would make the team this year, by the way. Didn't think it would happen this soon, though.

Patty, I know about Cheechoo, but at 29th overall, I don't really consider him anything other than a late first rounder. The Sharks really have had no luck developing scoringline forwards outside of the top of the draft. Unless you count the immortal Adam Colagiacomo, that is. I kill me. I should stop posting drunk.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
No worries. :) I remember being really adamant that Pavelski should have been higher than Mike Morris in the ratings. (Torrey Mitchell as well)

Morris was hurt again last week.....poor kid has no good luck at all.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Although Korolyuk had a less-than-stellar relationship with the organization, I would still say he was a very good scoring foward. He struggled with injuries and Darryl Sutter:sarcasm: his first few years in the league, but I think with a better coach and some luck he could have been one of the league's best wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad