A interesting interaction between lychees and chemo

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Purely by chance, I grabbed a box of lychees earlier this July. My mom, who is on chemo, has been dealing with constant diarrhea due to colitis for over 4-5 weeks. She consumed the lychees, and the diarrhea stopped for a day. However, once the consumption ceased, the diarrhea returned.

This does not occur with other foods or drinks, and she has tried a numerous variety of foods. Pepto Bismol and loperamide(imodium) do nothing for her.

There must be some trace chemical present in the lychees doing something given other foods do nothing.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Purely by chance, I grabbed a box of lychees earlier this July. My mom, who is on chemo, has been dealing with constant diarrhea due to colitis for over 4-5 weeks. She consumed the lychees, and the diarrhea stopped for a day. However, once the consumption ceased, the diarrhea returned.

This does not occur with other foods or drinks, and she has tried a numerous variety of foods. Pepto Bismol and loperamide(imodium) do nothing for her.

There must be some trace chemical present in the lychees doing something given other foods do nothing.
Foods that are supposed to be best for it are white bread, white rice, bananas and apple sauce.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Foods that are supposed to be best for it are white bread, white rice, bananas and apple sauce.
I gave my mom white bread. Didn't work.

Numerous other foods were tried. Nothing else has worked but the lychees. She would try mixed fruit to no effect. Tried eggs, also nothing. Fish, did not stop it. Hospital food was crappy. Green beans didn't work, nor did their crappy chicken do anything. While in the hospital, she was eating Pepto and loperamide together.

She would eat canned foods like Chunky soup or vavioli since the stuff was coming out anyway.

But the lychees, full cessation and even solid feces..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad