A fun offseason hypothetical.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Assume we win the draft lottery and of coarse draft Celebrini, what are the teams next moves?

One would think that 3 years later would be optimum window.

- Potencial Star Centre on ELC.

-Brady/Stutzle/Batherson/Chabot still on affordable deals.

- Sanderson/Greig/Pinto all coming into their prime.

Would dealing Norris become a priority?

How would we solve the Goaltending and RD holes?

Who is the right HC to bring in for that kind of timeline?

How does the money fit?

And yes I know it's a long shot but it's the most fun of the 5 potencial lottery outcomes to think about.

Reactions: Bileur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think a key part to future success is to get a coaching staff that has past NHL experience and experienced some success at it; plus a coach that teaches players how to play defensively in all 3 zones and holds them accountable. Hopefully the owner is willing to pay the high price needed to get such a coach and staff.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Better coaching and goaltending will go much farther than if we draft 1 or 7.

Would be nice though. Immediately makes one of our other centres tradeable. Can you trade for coaches?

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

Would be nice though. Immediately makes one of our other centres tradeable. Can you trade for coaches?
I see Celebrini as a potential franchise Centre. Stutzle could be an Elite 2C and his cap hit works in that role.

Teams with Elite C's seem to make coaches better. Not sure if it is them making average HC's great or they attract good coaches but the affect is the same.

Goaltending still needs to be fixed.

In other words, if you think Celebrini is a potencial Elite 1C, Stutzle is an Elite 2C and Pinto is a potencial Elite 3C then that has got to be harder to get than good Goaltending and coaching...

Reactions: Cosmix

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Winning the draft lottery for the 1st or 2nd overall pick and getting either a 1C or top 2 RHD who is ready to step in right away or almost right away would be massive.

We are one of the more deserving teams for a top 2 pick. With our own natural picks the highest we picked during the rebuild was 4th, 4th (traded) , 5th, 7th (traded), 10th, and 12th (traded). We never won the lottery. We were also hurt by the 2021 draft not being a typical drafted where our 10th overall pick wasn't of the same value as a typical 10th overall pick.

We did luck out with the Stutzle pick, but that was San Jose's pick we inherited from a trade. Same deal with Spezza, that was a trade. We haven't had a top 3 pick of our own since the 90s. Along with Detroit, we have been one of the unluckiest teams in that regard.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I think this offseason is more about fixing what they can fix in the organization and hoping that it wasn't the core that was the problem, but the organization around them.

There is only so much they can change in one season. They don't have a lot of cap flexibility, and they don't have a lot of assets because of how the rebuild was run.

I could see something like:
-Chychrun->Ullmark
-BOS 1st->Middle 6 veteran forward like Jenner, or Laughton, etc
-Cap space->Tanev UFA (overpay on term to get him)
-Hamonic, Brannstrom, Forsberg->Gone
-Sign a random player who was on the Hamilton Bulldogs

Maybe add in a big bottom pair defenseman who has bad advanced stats but hits people a lot.

The above is a lot of change for one offseason, but there isn't a big sexy acquisition unless you see Ullmark as that. We're not acquiring a Debrincat, or a Chychrun. I think other than whoever we get in net, it will be 2-4 really solid veteran names that are good at their jobs but don't get most fans excited in the same way people on Reddit were trying to include Pierre Dorion as a write in ballot for the HHOF because he traded for Debrincat.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Winning the draft lottery for the 1st or 2nd overall pick and getting either a 1C or top 2 RHD who is ready to step in right away or almost right away would be massive.

We are one of the more deserving teams for a top 2 pick. With our own natural picks the highest we picked during the rebuild was 4th, 4th (traded) , 5th, 7th (traded), 10th, and 12th (traded). We never won the lottery. We were also hurt by the 2021 draft not being a typical drafted where our 10th overall pick wasn't of the same value as a typical 10th overall pick.

We did luck out with the Stutzle pick, but that was San Jose's pick we inherited from a trade. Same deal with Spezza, that was a trade. We haven't had a top 3 pick of our own since the 90s. Along with Detroit, we have been one of the unluckiest teams in that regard.
There would be some serious serendipity with us winning the draft lottery. Completely exorcise the Melnyk/Dorion stink. Andaluer deserves it, we deserve it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
There would be some serious serendipity with us winning the draft lottery. Completely exorcise the Melnyk/Dorion stink. Andaluer deserves it, we deserve it.

I stopped getting my hopes up with this team after 2007. But if there was ever a time that would make sense for the hockey gods to finally smile down on the Senators this seems like it should be it.

1st overall would go along way in making up for some of Dorion's massive blunders.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Assume we win the draft lottery and of coarse draft Celebrini, what are the teams next moves?

How does the money fit?

And yes I know it's a long shot but it's the most fun of the 5 potencial lottery outcomes to think about.
Certainly opens that door a fair bit

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wouldn't count on Celebrini to be a difference maker for his first two years, but he would be a solid 2C. He is a great prospect, but he is not Bedard and won't have that impact.

First move is to get Norris healthy and put him on the wing, and see how he does. And honestly, as a pure sniper, he probably would fit better on wing than having all the responsibility of a center (and having a second guy on the line who can take draws would be amazing for the team and help insulate Celebrini).

Aside from getting a top notch coaching staff, the next big thing is at least one solid, stay at home RD. We need a few bears on the back end to punish opponents and help out our goalies.

Then swap out on of the netminders for someone competent (but don't pay big...goalies aren't worth it).

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
We could draft Celebrini who could be the second coming of McDavid, but until we have adequate coaching and goaltending, it won't matter. We'll just score more goals and keep on getting scored on against until Sandy's back is broken the way we broke Chabot.

We need to find a good coach, get a good goaltender each of those can be our #1 or #2 priority. After that we need to:

-Move on from Norris, find a team to take him so they can get to the cap floor for the start of their season and use that capspace to make sure we get a good RD.

-Find an upgrade on whomever we pick from Chabot or Chychrun. Someone who is more physical and complete.

-Sign Pinto and Greig to team friendly deals.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Gives the team an incentive to move Norris, I think that's honestly the only short term difference in all honesty. This team still needs coaching, goaltending and defensive help over a (albeit elite) forward prospect to take a serious step in the next 1-2 seasons.

Obviously long-term it changes the direction of the franchise as Celebrini, Stutzle, Pinto has the potential to be the best 1-2-3 punch in the league.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If we get Celebrini, I open up to trading Pinto in a deal for a franchise goalie, or a very solid RD (if we are unable to sign one asd a UFA). Names like J.Swayman, R.Poluck, and R.Andersson are guys I would call about.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

How does the money fit?

No one is touching Norris, and if they are it will be low-ball offers.
The guy to flip would be Shane Pinto if Celebrini is a Senator.
He could probably fetch us a top of the line RHD. I wouldn't waste Pinto's value to acquire a goalie.

If we get Celebrini, I open up to trading Pinto in a deal for a franchise goalie, or a very solid RD (if we are unable to sign one asd a UFA). Names like J.Swayman, R.Poluck, and R.Andersson are guys I would call about.

Sorokin for Pinto?

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Coaches:
- Berube
- Nelson
- Julien + Martin/Alfy

Goalies:
Ullmark or bust really

RD:
- Pesce
- Roy
- Carrier
- DeMelo
- Tanev

Move out (if possible/makes sense):
- Chychrun
- Norris
- Forsberg/Korpisalo
- Hamonic
- Brannstrom

2024-25 Roster projections (my dream line up)

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Giroux
Joseph - Ostapchuk - Celebrini
Katchouk - Kastelic - Kelly
Crookshank

Sanderson - Pesce
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Tanev
JBD

Ullmark
Sogaard

Ad