News Article: A Eulogy for Nassau Coliseum.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It was goodbye on the greatest terms. It was a farewell filled with meaning and mystery, an exit infused with excitement. Every last drop was milked from the Old Barn, every emotion slapped around the rink and smashed into glass one last time. Nostalgia was credited with an assist.
The Islanders’ final exodus from Nassau Coliseum could have come during all those years when they ranked last in the NHL in attendance. It could have come with the dreaded move to Brooklyn. It could have come when the building was closed indefinitely last June or when the arena was limited to 10 percent COVID-related capacity this spring.
But more than four hours before 13,000 or so fans filed in Wednesday for Game 6 of the Stanley Cup semifinals — the Islanders’ most important home game in 37 years — an enthusiastic car horn screamed, “Let’s go Islanders!” sparking a chain reaction in the parking lot. Various genres of music mingled. Flags proudly flew. Beer disappeared. Burgers flipped. Shirtless men stood beside freshly dry-cleaned jerseys. A roller hockey game took place beside a busted fence and overgrown weeds. Car trunks provided the best seats before the game began.
The sprawling concrete was Long Island’s most beautiful backyard.
“It’s a community,” said longtime tailgater Ed Strype. “It’s something we’ve grown up with, something that connects you with the people.”
They paved a parking lot and put up paradise.

Nassau Coliseum was home to all during its run: 'Our dump' (nypost.com)

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Awesome article. Great to see the discussion around NVMC as a concert venue (Joel, Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, etc.). That’s probably a good 20-30% of the building’s legacy too.

My contribution would be seeing GN’R (w/Skid Row opening) in June 1991. It was an insane atmosphere as it was the only “NYC”-venue GN’R was playing that summer. Place totally packed. GN’R riding sky high with Use Your Illusion I & II about to come out. Skid Row killed it… and then a 3 hour wait as Axl was helicoptered in from Manhattan (where he was taking a shower w/models or something) to play the show (lol).

GN’R was eventually awesome too- but damn late night. I was in high school, and remember driving out of the NVMC parking lot as the sun was coming up (note: one of my buddies had a Geometry Final that morning and somehow managed to get a “B”. lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: beach

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
My first home Isles game was an exhibition game prior to the '75-76 season. But that was the second time I was at NVMC. The first time was for a Nets game against the Virginia Squires in probably '72 or '73, and Dr. J was on the Squires! And my first real concert was the Allman Brothers at NVMC in probably '78 or so.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
$3 tickets behind the goal in the upper deck the first two seasons for kids plus the dedicated entrance and drop off/pick up area so parents could easily and safely drop us off.

Daryl Dawkins dominating the Lakers one night

Roller Derby!

10 minutes door to door from South Merrick

My folks unwittingly being bribed into a game on New Year's Eve in the mid-70's by a family friend and being mortified when asked to move because he didn't have tickets!

And along that, all of us who sneaked into a better seat because we spent some of the first period seeing which season ticket holder didn't show up . . . sneaking into that seat . . . holding our breath for the first half of the second period and figuring we were safe after that.

My last journey after moving to Florida, when I was in Norwalk for a project on a wet winter night and figuring 'what the heck, I've got the rental car with no mileage issue and it's worth the trip' in the late 90's. And a win for my efforts.

Reactions: Islander Class

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
$3 tickets behind the goal in the upper deck the first two seasons for kids plus the dedicated entrance and drop off/pick up area so parents could easily and safely drop us off.

Daryl Dawkins dominating the Lakers one night

Roller Derby!

10 minutes door to door from South Merrick

My folks unwittingly being bribed into a game on New Year's Eve in the mid-70's by a family friend and being mortified when asked to move because he didn't have tickets!

And along that, all of us who sneaked into a better seat because we spent some of the first period seeing which season ticket holder didn't show up . . . sneaking into that seat . . . holding our breath for the first half of the second period and figuring we were safe after that.

My last journey after moving to Florida, when I was in Norwalk for a project on a wet winter night and figuring 'what the heck, I've got the rental car with no mileage issue and it's worth the trip' in the late 90's. And a win for my efforts.

I'm in north merrick and it was so awesome these playoffs to be able to get to the coliseum in literally 7 minutes door to door :laugh: gonna miss that

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I'm in north merrick and it was so awesome these playoffs to be able to get to the coliseum in literally 7 minutes door to door :laugh: gonna miss that

I dont live on LI anymore, but I grew up in Garden City... when people around me now ask "the Islanders? why?" they dont get that living <10 minues from the Coli, it was like a second home, for hockey, concerts, Arrows, Saints, etc.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Roller Derby!
Don't laugh at me for asking the question, but was roller derby legit? I used to watch it on TV when I was a kid, and now that I think about it the NY team never lost. I'm thinking now that maybe the away teams were fake and the home teams always won. :laugh:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Don't laugh at me for asking the question, but was roller derby legit? I used to watch it on TV when I was a kid, and now that I think about it the NY team never lost. I'm thinking now that maybe the away teams were fake and the home teams always won. :laugh:

From what I understand most of the earliest roller derbies (I think back in the 20's and 30's) were likely real but the ones we grew up with were clearly pre-determined as far as who won and a lot of that was likely winning on your home track. The ones that have popped up the last 15 years or so that are flat track are legit; my cousin actually made a team as a reserve. But I think those are marketed as 'games' not derby's:

history - During what time period was the outcome of roller derby matches primarily fixed? - Sports Stack Exchange

Reactions: doublechili

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
In the 70s, it was pretty much staged. It was flying elbows and fights and such. These days, radical feminists smash the patriarchy by giving themselves kitschy names like Hermoine Danger, fighting systemic racism, getting tattoos, and occasionally playing roller derby.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
No matter what, nassau will always be our dump and home. The arena will never be seen again in the NHL, especially with the lively boards, fans, and especially the low ceiling. the only building close to it would've been the joe, and thats been gone for a while. its a shame seeing these buildings go out one by one. The next oldest is really calgary, but MSG is also pretty old. The same is happening in baseball, but i dont think fenway or wrigley will go down soon.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
No matter what, nassau will always be our dump and home. The arena will never be seen again in the NHL, especially with the lively boards, fans, and especially the low ceiling. the only building close to it would've been the joe, and thats been gone for a while. its a shame seeing these buildings go out one by one. The next oldest is really calgary, but MSG is also pretty old. The same is happening in baseball, but i dont think fenway or wrigley will go down soon.

I've always wondered about the life expectancy of Fenway and Wrigley, those teams will try to keep those stadiums standing forever I would assume right?

Jethro

Another relic...
Oct 9, 2015
S. Florida
nyi_banners.jpg
Does anyone have any memories or old photos of the banners made by fans that hung on the walls between the upper and lower decks? I remember that some were in place in certain spots for every home game for years, but can't remember them.

I just picked a video at random off of YT and found this...at least the big one on the right looks very familiar.

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
Isles, Arrows, Saints, Nets, Express, WWF, Monster Trucks, countless shows - Metallica, Ozzy, Priest, U2, Aerosmith among the most memorable, car show, Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Nothing but fond memories from the time I was a little kid until a college student.

Sad to see her go. It was a dump but I loved it. Never understood games at MSG (didn’t pack binoculars). Hopefully UBS lives up to plan.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
In the 70s, it was pretty much staged. It was flying elbows and fights and such. These days, radical feminists smash the patriarchy by giving themselves kitschy names like Hermoine Danger, fighting systemic racism, getting tattoos, and occasionally playing roller derby.
Seriously? Oy. Sign me up for staged matches and flying elbows.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Obviously a temporary one but brilliant...
general-view-of-fans-sitting-behind-a-sign-that-reads-schultz-essen-picture-id91116322
That's awesome! :laugh: That was a popular chant back then - in english anyway.

Our first Isles seats (in '75-76) were in, I think, section 331. So, I actually just looked for myself. In a grainy, black and white photo. Depressing. And no, I'm not the Mr. Kotter-looking guy in the plaid pants.

Reactions: Jethro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad