• 130 Points

Votes: 32 16.6%
  • 131 Points+

Votes: 115 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, we could say that Kralsson's 101 points is 15th all-time for defensemen, and also that it's the first time 100 points was reached by a defenseman in over 30 years.

McDavid's 153 points also was 15th all-time, this time for forwards. Although, there were more times that this count had been reached in the past 30 years by a forward. Two, in fact. So, Karlsson's 101-point season was rarer than McDavid's 153-point season, one could argue.

Even if you account for the fact that there are 50% more forwards than defensemen etc. you still are easily going to land above 131+ and I actually question your scaling structure for this poll, since it'd be far more difficult if you had included answers up to, say, McDavid's 153-point season, or at least 151+. Without particularly detailed analysis, I'd guesstimate that it lands somewhere between 140 and 150 points, in terms of impressiveness.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Go take a look at how many 120 point seasons there are from forwards in league history. Then, go see how many 100 points seasons there from defenseman in league history.

The answer is more like 140-150 points.
League is completely different than what it used to be. Even from just ten years ago, it's totally changed.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Of course, the answer is nuanced.

Some guys score points by getting involved on the rush.

Some guys play rover in the o-zone at a defensive price.

But more and more teams are able to play position less hockey in the o-zone with forwards covering for D getting aggressive and the D knowing when it’s safe to get involved and the forwards will have their back. This comes down to the forwards buying in and having defensive awareness and the offensive D to know when the forwards are in position to help and not being reckless.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's hard to define. A forward will never give up a scoring opportunity to do a defensive play, but even the worst NHL calibre offensive defensemen will still give up scoring opportunities to do defensive play.

These differences are also only indirectly responsible for the point difference because an attempt at a point isn't the same as an attempt at preventing a point.

I think it's a little bit of a case by case basis. If it's raw points a 30-50% difference I could see that as being about right. But if it's all other contributions involved, then I think you easily drop the point difference percentage to account for that too. It honestly sounds like a weird roundabout way to define WAR based on expected contributions.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's hard to define. A forward will never give up a scoring opportunity to do a defensive play, but even the worst NHL calibre offensive defensemen will still give up scoring opportunities to do defensive play.

These differences are also only indirectly responsible for the point difference because an attempt at a point isn't the same as an attempt at preventing a point.

I think it's a little bit of a case by case basis. If it's raw points a 30-50% difference I could see that as being about right. But if it's all other contributions involved, then I think you easily drop the point difference percentage to account for that too. It honestly sounds like a weird roundabout way to define WAR based on expected contributions.
The bolded isn't remotely true.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
There have been 15 100-point seasons by six defensemen.

There have been 17 150-point seasons by six forwards.

It's 150.
Finally some actual data.

Extrapolating from this, would it be fair to say that we can assume that a high-scoring defenceman should score 66% of what a high-scoring forward would?

So 66 points as a defenceman is similar to 100 points as a forward?

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Finally some actual data.

Extrapolating from this, would it be fair to say that we can assume that a high-scoring defenceman should score 66% of what a high-scoring forward would?

So 66 points as a defenceman is similar to 100 points as a forward?
66 doesn't feel like 100 to me, but maybe I'm wrong. We'd have to look at occurrence rate as I did with the other numbers.

It's a fair observation, but you have to consider that percentage gaps grow as the number gets bigger. Extreme example, 3 points to 6 points is one good game, while 50 points to 100 points is barely a second liner to a superstar. They're both 50%.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I’m surprised 131+ is the popular answer, I would say it’s 130 at the most and if some believe that Karlsson is just as good offensively as McDavid then that means an average Lidstrom season was better offensively than an average Crosby season and it’s pretty obvious Lidstrom was not a better offensive talent, that means there are a ton of defenseman who are also better offensively than Crosby but just happened to play defense
Karlsson's 101 points is 15th best all-time for a defenseman.

Mcdavid's 153 points is 15th best all-time for a forward.

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
Hard to say with how the NHL is transitioning to positionless hockey I think we could begin to see more 100 seasons for defencemen but as of right now 130+

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

But equating value to rarity only really works if the pool of players for each are similar and there’s enough data to weed out variance. I’m not sure if 15 times is enough data and I don’t believe the pool of players is the same. Not only are there more forwards in general, but I think offensive talent is more concentrated at the position. I also don’t think the difference between the difficulty of both is a constant. We’re seeing a lot of defensemen given the green light to lead the rush or drop down further in the offensive zone right now.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

McDavids pool of legendary offensive players a much larger number. More than 3 times.

Therefore It is more difficult to get 153 in a season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The bolded isn't remotely true.

How so? So you're saying that a forward has a chance for a SOG and instead will do something else to quickly skate back to the d zone because....? The reason for this is because they have the d corps as the last line of defense, no? I'm not saying that the forward doesn't do defensive plays and may chance where they are positionally to be proactive defensively in certain scenarios (ie: dman pinching). I'm saying they have a quick chance for an offensive play (ie: foot race for a SOG) and they won't hesitate to go all out for that offensive play over a defensive one (subbing off is a different story).

A dman always has to consider the pros and cons of pinching or being out of position for certain offensive plays because they are the last line of defense (pardon the pun). There isn't another set of positions behind them before the opposition has a chance to shoot on net/goalie.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
How so? So you're saying that a forward has a chance for a SOG and instead will do something else to quickly skate back to the d zone because....? The reason for this is because they have the d corps as the last line of defense, no? I'm not saying that the forward doesn't do defensive plays and may chance where they are positionally to be proactive defensively in certain scenarios (ie: dman pinching). I'm saying they have a quick chance for an offensive play (ie: foot race for a SOG) and they won't hesitate to go all out for that offensive play over a defensive one (subbing off is a different story).

A dman always has to consider the pros and cons of pinching or being out of position for certain offensive plays because they are the last line of defense (pardon the pun). There isn't another set of positions behind them before the opposition has a chance to shoot on net/goalie.
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

There are plenty of forwards that would abandon a chance at offense for defensive coverage. And similarly there are plenty of defensemen that would blow their defensive coverage for an offensive chance or pinch.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

There are plenty of forwards that would abandon a chance at offense for defensive coverage. And similarly there are plenty of defensemen that would blow their defensive coverage for an offensive chance or pinch.

I still think that the vast majority of the time this is true, so I disagree with "not remotely true". But I can agree wording wise that the wording was slightly exaggerated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad