A Canuck player said....

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Sounds like general advice not aimed at any one person.

My feeling as well. I think this isn't just an issue for players either, and it can easily apply to management evaluating the real level of players ability vs how well they play when there's nothing on the line and other teams may not be putting in their best effort for various end of season reasons. Pressure, or the lack there of has a huge effect on performance.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Virtanen is the one this applies to the most.

He made the team and checked out.

Frankly I think management did a lot to encourage this very line of thinking by pimping Virtanen out in so much of their promo material. They tried to exploit the whole 'hometown" thing and it blew up in their faces. Just ridiculous that they put PR ahead of player development.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Re: Sedins
Hypocritical? Objectively yes I would agree with that. But like the famous quote goes,

"A lack of planning on your side does not constitute an emergency on mine".

I'm pretty sure the Sedins are tired of having to carry this team year in year out while management and ownership thrash around learning how to manage a hockey franchise. Could the Sedins have trained harder this off season? Probably? Do I particularly give a crap they didn't? Not really. The Sedins didn't ask to be members of a bottom 3 team.

As well, the Sedins have been part of this organization for 16 years and the Canucks STILL haven't found a replacement for them. :laugh: Yeah... that's just sad. :shakehead

Re: Jake
Jake's an easy one.

Re: Ben
How can posters suddenly forget about how terrible Ben was when he started the season???? Are poster's THAT memory challenged?

The Gud-Hutton pairing was an absolute crapshow. Gud couldn't make a decent breakout pass to save his life and Ben was being absolutely dominated everywhere. Out speeded, out strengthed, out maneuvered, out everything.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ben took this past summer off and came into this season flabby and outta shape.

And like days of old, Ben played himself into shape which is why he looks ok-to-decent now.

Yeah... no. That's not how competent professional NHL players operate and it's sad that we lost a couple real good character players in Hansen and Burr as both of them NEVER showed up to camp out of shape.

Re: Bae
I'm not sure what to make of Bae's season and why Bae was such an ass player until WD benched him and then subsequently put Burr on their line.

In the 15-16 season, the excuse for Bae was WD had asked him to work on his defensive game for the first half of the season which made him a better player in the second half.

In the 16-17 season, not sure.

The trend seems to be Bae being a good player earlier and earlier. Hopefully for all of our collective sake this trend continues next season.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hank should be worrying about him and Daniel's lacklustre play right now.

Why? Why should Hank worry about that?

Because the Sedins playing better will suddenly turn Sutter into a top 6 player? Or Eriksson to not be useless? Or turn Megna into an NHL player? Or turn Jimbo into a competent general manager? Or turn WD into a better coach?

Please list the reasons why Hank should worry about his and his brothers lacklustre play and please don't mention money because if you do I'm going to lay down some fancy graphs for you showing you how money is the one of the worst factors when it comes motivating employees.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Reads to me that its not directed at anybody in general...Probably more a case of players on the team shouldn't read too much into what happens on this stretch when games are meaningless.

The Bluejackets used to go on winning streaks year after year, late in the season,when they were basically eliminated from post season play...which gave everyone the impression that they would continue that success in to the following season...Next season would roll around and CBJ would suck again.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hank should be worrying about him and Daniel's lacklustre play right now.

The Sedins are two of the most hardworking and most prepared players in the entire league. Their game is clearly slipping due to age and our reliance on them to be first liners. I'm sure that's frustrating for them, especially when they see players like Virtanen with all the skill in the world not put in half the effort that's required to be an NHLer.

I have no problem with the Sedins calling out other players if they deserve it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Sedins are two of the most hardworking and most prepared players in the entire league. Their game is clearly slipping due to age and our reliance on them to be first liners. I'm sure that's frustrating for them, especially when they see players like Virtanen with all the skill in the world not put in half the effort that's required to be an NHLer.

I have no problem with the Sedins calling out other players if they deserve it.

Hmm....were they calling out other players or the coach?......after all, the team went on a nine-game losing streak to end last season.....I hope the Sedins can end their illustrious careers on a high note.

But I fear this year's precipitous slide will only be worse next season.....hope a new coach will use them properly next season and the young guys can step up their play to take over.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
If that's a recent comment it looks almost identical to what he said last year at about the same time and obviously directed and Virtanen and McCann.

Good advice at anytime for the kids. Though Bae and Granlund already know this better than anyone. Stecher and Tryamkin maybe but all accounts of their off ice activities have been positive. Chaput and Bucher? Twins pegged one (forget which) as a future Burrows candidate. :)

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Why? Why should Hank worry about that?

Because the Sedins playing better will suddenly turn Sutter into a top 6 player? Or Eriksson to not be useless? Or turn Megna into an NHL player? Or turn Jimbo into a competent general manager? Or turn WD into a better coach?

Please list the reasons why Hank should worry about his and his brothers lacklustre play and please don't mention money because if you do I'm going to lay down some fancy graphs for you showing you how money is the one of the worst factors when it comes motivating employees.

You really have to ask that question? Have you watched his play the last few games?

Probably be better to be calling out players when you are leading by example and not playing like ****.

Henrik is giving up the puck left and right. It is actually the young players who are scoring what little goals the Canucks score. In first line minutes and their awful first PP, the Sedins have combined to score 4 goals in the last 20 games while being turnover machines and getting hemmed in defensively far too much.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Other than Edler and Miller....exactly what veteran is actually playing decent right now? You could actually say the young players have been the Canucks better players.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Other than Edler and Miller....exactly what veteran is actually playing decent right now? You could actually say the young players have been the Canucks better players.

Why do you think Burr has 6 points in 6 games with the Sens?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Jake, Ben, Sven... take your pick.

Who the hell says he is talking about anyone specific?

Again, this is just an irresponsible statement.

For all we know, Henrik is just speaking in general terms and isn't taking a subtle specific shot at anyone.

But hey - lets just start gossip because it's fun. :help:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Who the hell says he is talking about anyone specific?

Again, this is just an irresponsible statement.

For all we know, Henrik is just speaking in general terms and isn't taking a subtle specific shot at anyone.

But hey - lets just start gossip because it's fun. :help:

Yer totally right Connor McHindu...

Well all know that Hank is prone to saying cautionary statements such this one.

That Hank. He's such a chicken little. :scared:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yer totally right Connor McHindu...

Well all know that Hank is prone to saying cautionary statements such this one.

That Hank. He's such a chicken little. :scared:

Henrik made a general statement about the potential pitfalls of young players taking their ice-time for granted and not coming into camp as prepared as they should.

The message was likely intended for all young players on the Canucks.

Not because Henrik had anyone specific in mind, or was trying to be 'holier than thou,' but because perhaps Henrik knows a thing or two about having once been a good prospect and finding a way to get to that next level.

It's called passing down your knowledge and experience to the next generation.

At least that's how I interpreted the article.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Virtanen is the one this applies to the most.

He made the team and checked out.

Like when he checked into Disneyland during the Allstar break?

Yeah I know going on a holiday during a break isn't the worst but I'm sure staying at home and getting some rest would have been better for his season. He was a rookie in his first NHL season - not a 5 year veteran.

Seeing his stupid pic with the actress was pretty much a sign of where is priorities are at. A little more than a year later we can see that playing out.

At this point I'd be surprised if he's even an NHL regular.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Henrik made a general statement about the potential pitfalls of young players taking their ice-time for granted and not coming into camp as prepared as they should.

The message was likely intended for all young players on the Canucks.

Not because Henrik had anyone specific in mind, or was trying to be 'holier than thou,' but because perhaps Henrik knows a thing or two about having once been a good prospect and finding a way to get to that next level.

It's called passing down your knowledge and experience to the next generation.

At least that's how I interpreted the article.

So what you're saying is Hank is drawing upon his own experience from year 2000 and using the media to pass down his knowledge and experience to the next generation?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So what you're saying is Hank is drawing upon his own experience from year 2000 and using the media to pass down his knowledge and experience to the next generation?

Henrik just made a general comment about prospect development, and what prospects/young players should do if they want to ascend to the next level.

If the media asks you a question, you answer the question to the best of your ability. :teach:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Henrik just made a general comment about prospect development, and what prospects/young players should do if they want to ascend to the next level.

If the media asks you a question, you answer the question to the best of your ability. :teach:

Sure he did.

Player development on this team is hunky dory.

Nothing to see here.

I think I will conclude this conversation as I'm not interested in discussing hockey with the willfully ignorant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad