NFL: A 53 year old fan died at Gillette Stadium after a fight in the stands

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Very little information has been officially released as I post but this is a sad situation

It appears some Miami fans were relentless in taunting Pats fans around them for the entire game and as the game ended a Pats fan finally snapped and verbally yelled back and a Dolphins fan punched him 2 times and he then became not responsive.

TV news reports

WMUR Manchester, NH

WBZ-TV Boston

WCVB-TV Boston

WFXT-TV Boston

WBTS-TV Boston

WHDH-TV Boston

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I will never go to a live NFL game. NFL fans are the most tribal and moronic fans of any major professional league. The violence and sheer stupidity of what goes on at NFL games is simply asinine.

I hope this moron spends a VERY long time in prison for this.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I will never go to a live NFL game. NFL fans are the most tribal and moronic fans of any major professional league. The violence and sheer stupidity of what goes on at NFL games is simply asinine.

That seems highly doubtful. This sounds like mutual combat and the guy who died might have been the one to start the confrontation by getting in the other fans face.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Long story short....don't confront people or fight at games, espeiclaly outnumbered and/or with a child or family.

if you mind your business you shouldn't have much to worry about.

unless you wear an oppising or especially rival jersey at Lincoln financial...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Getting into the faces of the other opposing fans makes zero sense given that you are not involved in the play and have no impact on the results of the game.

I get cheering for your team and booing the opposition. But, there are places where I wouldn't take a pre-teen to a game. Language and behaviour is just insane at some places.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
The vic looks extremely unhealthy, bloated, red faced, he was likely the main contributor to his death which looks to be lifestyle oriented. His pics indicate he was already on the way out.
A lot of big fat stupid old guys die all the time because they fail to look in the mirror and think they are still 25 and they make exertions, like fighting, that they are no longer physically capable of completing.
Unless the other guy was Ivan Drago its hard to see how two punches would be lethal.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
That seems highly doubtful. This sounds like mutual combat and the guy who died might have been the one to start the confrontation by getting in the other fans face.
The result needs to be taken into consideration, if you engage in mutual combat and kill someone you need to be punished.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
The vic looks extremely unhealthy, bloated, red faced, he was likely the main contributor to his death which looks to be lifestyle oriented. His pics indicate he was already on the way out.
A lot of big fat stupid old guys die all the time because they fail to look in the mirror and think they are still 25 and they make exertions, like fighting, that they are no longer physically capable of completing.
Unless the other guy was Ivan Drago its hard to see how two punches would be lethal.
Can we not victim blame here? I'm not disagreeing that this man may have had major health issues & should not have gotten in the assailant's face but that still does not excuse the assailant for assaulting him & he should be held accountable.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
crap like this is why I'll watch from home or a sports bar, some family is now missing a member, and another will likely lose one to prison for a very long time, all over a silly game.

The sheer number of assholes at these games is astounding nowadays

When I was going to college, I went to a few Raider games in Oakland and I swore the game was not complete until I saw someone being dragged away in handcuffs. It typically was the case too because of these Assholes can't control themselves. I would much rather just be at home watching Red Zone (And not Drink, I prefer sodas anyway). It seems like the fan experience is getting worse.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Could very well be. Victim ended up being the one to lose the physical confrontation. Have no idea right now how this started or escalated to this level of violence where fists were thrown.

Any male in their later 40's to early 50's have to be careful about how hard they push themselves physically. Heard stories of beer leaguers that age range drop from playing. Especially, if that is the only source of physical activity they get. Not spending a few hours doing anything else like weights, running, biking, etc.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Still manslaughter and potentially lower level homicide

The result needs to be taken into consideration, if you engage in mutual combat and kill someone you need to be punished.

Like every case, the fine details are key. If he was sucker punched or stomped on after for example, yeah absolutely. But if victim got in someones face and cussed at them and got struck and hit his head or something, that's a lot tougher and not sure he'd be charged with anything.

The reporting is kind of weird too, they are saying he died after some 'medical incident' not that he died from injuries sustained in a fight.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
We'll see, like every case, the fine details are key. If he was sucker punched or stomped on after for example, yeah absolutely. But if victim got in someones face and cussed at them and got struck and died from the punch, I don't see how you call that murder or even manslaughter.

The reporting is kind of weird too, they are saying he died after some 'medical incident' not that he died from injuries sustained in a fight.
It still can be civil assault if the punch was not "wanted". Depending on the assets of t he perp, the perp could be held financially liable. Or even the Pats' company vicariously, although that would be a battle

Still could be manslaughter depending on the facts and the states attorney.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
crap like this is why I'll watch from home or a sports bar, some family is now missing a member, and another will likely lose one to prison for a very long time, all over a silly game.

This

And this.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco
Sep 19, 2008
So sad.

I do spend almost every home game at the football stadium here (as well as having season tickets to the baseball, hockey, XFL, basketball team here and tickets to rugby, and women's soccer) so you won't ever get me to say that sitting at home even with a 5.1 is better than the experience in the stadium. Football is the worst though and is not a family environment. I saw a guy take his shirt off and start yelling at the players below. He was way up in the 400's, they can't hear you from there. They had to bring security out and he said he was just cheering for his team.

We also had a fight here in the lower bowl where a guy basically got tag teamed and given "the old six pack special"

Football is the worst when it comes to fights mainly because people have been drinking for 3 or 4 hours beforehand, and even more during a night game, so judgement is already very iffy. Say one bad thing and boom. That said, even with the danger involved, security is usually pretty quick on things, and the atmosphere you get at a game can never be replicated on TV. I know because I cord cut from like 2007-2014 so all I did was watch games on my TV during that time before I started going in 2015. The game is much louder and much more tense

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

I've seen some pretty hairy altercations at sports bars, too. It's getting to the point where people's unpredictable anger level and general shittiness make me not want to bother.

Sep 19, 2008

And I saw a fight break out at a bar during the Women's World Cup when some guy started trashing soccer and then the woman said it was an international sport popular around the world, called him white privileged, and stormed out. Shit happens when people get drunk.

• Haha

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Can we not victim blame here? I'm not disagreeing that this man may have had major health issues & should not have gotten in the assailant's face but that still does not excuse the assailant for assaulting him & he should be held accountable.
He is the victim of his own poor choices, all the way down the line. He received everything he deserved. Getting in a fight with a stranger at a football game when you are in physically poor condition is an extremely risky and foolish decision with no upside. There used to be a thing called common sense. Are people no longer responsible for their own bad decisions?

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
He is the victim of his own poor choices, all the way down the line. He received everything he deserved. Getting in a fight with a stranger at a football game when you are in physically poor condition is an extremely risky and foolish decision with no upside. There used to be a thing called common sense. Are people no longer responsible for their own bad decisions?

Common sense ceases to exist after enough beers

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

He didn't throw the first punch. Or maybe any punch. You assume he got into a physical fight when there's no indication that is the case. It was a verbal argument that the other party escalated to physical.

You are making a lot of assumptions about the man and the situation that 1) may not even be true, and 2) aren't relevant to the situation. You can drop the holier than thou attitude unless you want to try to tell us you've never made a single bad decision in your life.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Jesus f***ing christ dude. There’s always one, that blames the victim. The eyewitnesses said the dude was sucker punched and attacked first. Do your research before you derp, you might learn something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad